Plaquenil & Blindness

Options
CharisSunny
CharisSunny Posts: 276 Member
I was told and also read that long term use will damage eyesight. As my eyes are already weakened I'm more than tentative.
Anyone seen a difference in their vision? Is it worth it?

Replies

• MultiGoddess
    MultiGoddess Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    My opthamologist is one of the leaders in the area of research into this very subject. He told me that the current use of Plaquenil (200mg twice a day) is relatively safe. I have been legally blind (can't see past my nose clearly without glasses) since I was about 12. I have been on Plaquenil for about 3 years now. I go for my Plaquenil exam every year, and I have not noticed any changes.

As for is it worth it.. Plaquenil has been proven to help prevent organ damage that is common in lupus, or at least keep it to a minimum. It is so worth it! You go for an exam once a year (or more often if your doctor sees fit) and they make sure that your eyes aren't being damaged.
  • sewmom73
    sewmom73 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Hi there,
    I too am on the low dose, have been for over 5 years. I go for a yearly eye exam, and have had no changes or problems with vision. My eye Doctor told me that if they notice any changes during the exam, they have you stop the plaquenil and your vision should go back to normal, they just have to monitor you closely to see any early changes so they can stop it before it progresses to a problem. I have to say that I'm happy with the plaquenil and have no complaints. Hope that helps some.
    :smile:
  • icklistpiklist
    icklistpiklist Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I'm back on plaquenil for the second time and haven't had any problems in relation to my eyes. Just have regular tests. As for ' is it worth it?' Definitely yes. Earlier this year I had a lot of 'niggles' - slight rash, achy joints, this despite being on steroids and immunosuppressants. My rheumatologist but me back on plaquenil and the niggles more or less went away within a few weeks.
  • firefoxxie
    firefoxxie Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I've been on plaquenil for 8 years now and there has been no changes in my eyes :) (200mg once a day)
  • CharisSunny
    Options
    Thank you all.
    Im 20/480 now and can't see much without my glasses, didn't want to chance it. Not entirely convinced but not giving it a flat out "no" just yet.
  • MultiGoddess
    MultiGoddess Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I've been legally blind since I was 12. I can't see past my nose clearly without my glasses. There is a risk with any medication, but always look at a risk vs benefit. There are other medications out there, but for people with rhuematological diseases Plaquenil is one of the safest and most prescribed. If you take it as prescribed and go to the opthmaologist as prescribed the risk of vision loss or damage is very low. I hope that you do some more research and continue to make a decision. Hopefully you can find what works for you :)
  • stylist_alysa
    stylist_alysa Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I know I'm a little late to the topic. I've been on Plaquenil for nearly all of my 21 years of living with lupus. I've had no change in general vision. I am required to do a visual field test every year in addition to the regular eye exam. There have been very very slight changes on the visual field test, but still not enough for my ophthalmologist to be concerned.
  • CharisSunny
    Options
    I know I'm a little late to the topic. I've been on Plaquenil for nearly all of my 21 years of living with lupus. I've had no change in general vision. I am required to do a visual field test every year in addition to the regular eye exam. There have been very very slight changes on the visual field test, but still not enough for my ophthalmologist to be concerned.

Thank you for responding!
    I haven't agreed to the Plaquenil just yet as I've seen my vision deteriorate even without added medication.
    Im waiting to speak to a third rheum. in a few weeks so hoping for another option :)
  • EPhinn
    EPhinn Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I've been on Plaquenil for about 7 years now, and I haven't had any changes with my eyesight due to the medication. I go in for my annual eye exam in a couple weeks, so hopefully it follows the trend from the previous years.