It's true, I ingested my placenta.

Options
lieselLalor
lieselLalor Posts: 169 Member
I'm wondering if anyone else has done this. For those with weak stomaches, I did not just sit down at the kitchen table with a fork and knife and eat my first born's placenta. I had a women cook, dehydrate, and then encapsulate my placenta to be taken like any other vitamin. I read an article about it when I was pregnant with my son and like many of you, I was repulsed at first. After thinking about it for a few days though, I thought, why not? Even if it doesn't do all the things it claims to do (help with post-partum, give you energy, replenish nutrients, and more) it's not going to harm me. We are one of the only animals who don't eat the placenta after childbirth. There are also lots of cultures who eat their own placenta without a blink of the eye. The research is fascinating. Before you turn away I urge you to just read a little about it. I'm 15 weeks along and will be encapsulating this placenta as well without a doubt.

Just some "food" for thought. Ha

Replies

• servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Err I can get energy and nutrients from food. Whatever floats your boat though.
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I didn't do it with my first, but I'm not opposed to it.

I just think the absolute last thing that I care about after pushing out a baby is where my placenta is and if it's properly taken care of. I'm like "gimme my baby!!!!!"
  • scienceteacherAK
    scienceteacherAK Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Can I ask how much it cost to encapsulate it? So curious =)
  • mommyblessed7
    mommyblessed7 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    i don't plan on eating mine .. i don't think i could get the pill in my mouth lol BUT I plan to donate it to the police cadaver dogs here :) They train them with the placentas at different stages of decomposition.. makes me feel better than leaving it at the hospital for them to sell ;)
  • mycrazy8splus1
    mycrazy8splus1 Posts: 1,558 Member
    Options
    I would if it was affordable. We are Native American and we save the cord, dry it, and put it in a medicine bag that hungs froma dreamcatcher over the crib.
  • StrongAndHealthyMommy
    StrongAndHealthyMommy Posts: 1,255 Member
    Options
    umm not really....
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I find the whole thing rather interesting. I didn't do it, and doubt I would (not because it skeeves me out but because I'm not much of a planner and recognize I'd have to make arrangements to have it done!). I've heard a lot of good things about it, especially in regards to Post Partum Depression.

Did you have a doula or somebody that ensured it happened? At the moment--and hours--after birth the last thing on my mind would be "where did my placenta go?" and the majority of doctors around here aren't very....uhm...holistic... I can't see mine getting it done on my behalf!
  • lieselLalor
    Options
    It cost about $200 for me. It does depend on how close the person that does it lives to you. It was actually very easy planning. I brought a little cooler to the hospital with me and just made sure ahead of time that my doctor knew I was taking it. My mom took it home with her and called the midwife (mine just happened to be a midwife) and she came to our house with all the cookware and everything else she needed and cleaned up after. All you really need is someone to be home while she does it for a few hours. It was very easy and my mom said it was really fun to watch actually. She also saved the umbilical cord for me and shaped it into a heart. It was a really great experience and it was no different than taking a prenatal vitamin.
  • stephysd
    stephysd Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    We are one of the only animals who don't eat the placenta after childbirth.

You realize that animals eat their placentas to 'hide' the fact that they had young from a predator. And the second reason that they eat it is that it naturally produces oxytocin which helps them in the after labor (shrinking up their uterus) and producing milk for their young.

Not something I am interested in as I am not trying to hide my young and I'll let the doctor give me oxytocin via IV. Sounds simplier, but best of luck to you.
  • dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I think it's an interesting idea but I always forget to take pills, so I don't want to spend $150-$300 on encapsulation only to forget to take them. I have heard of freezing it in pieces and using it in smoothies.
  • TLCEsq
    TLCEsq Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I did it with my first pregnancy and I plan on doing it again.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    My sister is a doula and encapsulates placentas as well. She did mine for my last pregnancy. The difference from my first 2 (no placenta) and my last (placenta) was amazing! It was my 3rd baby in just over 4 years and I felt phenominal.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options

You realize that animals eat their placentas to 'hide' the fact that they had young from a predator. And the second reason that they eat it is that it naturally produces oxytocin which helps them in the after labor (shrinking up their uterus) and producing milk for their young.

Not something I am interested in as I am not trying to hide my young and I'll let the doctor give me oxytocin via IV. Sounds simplier, but best of luck to you.

Id rather take something natural than be pumped full of synthetic drugs, but hey its your body.
  • mycrazy8splus1
    mycrazy8splus1 Posts: 1,558 Member
    Options

Id rather take something natural than be pumped full of synthetic drugs, but hey its your body.

^I agree mkakids!
  • lieselLalor
    Options

^I agree mkakids!

thank you!
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

Breast feeding releases natural oxytocin in your body to help your uterus shrink. It's quite a dramatic effect, actually, I remember it well. In the first month pp I had slight cramps with each nursing session and my spotting would pick up. No need for cannibalism.
  • KF1216
    KF1216 Posts: 175 Member
    Options

We raised sheep for 8 years and we used to take the placenta away before they tried to eat it because they would often choke on it!
  • dewsmom78
    dewsmom78 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Err I can get energy and nutrients from food. Whatever floats your boat though.

This
  • ChooChoo87
    ChooChoo87 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    lieselLalor: How did you convince your partner to be OK with this? My husband is totally opposed and repulsed by the idea but I think it has its merits. I would love to hear from anyone else, too, who had to convince their spouse/partner regarding placenta encapsulation!
  • _jessicamarie_
    _jessicamarie_ Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    My good friend just had a baby several weeks ago and she did this. This baby is her 3rd, and she says she feels a million times better than she did with her first two and attributes it to the pills. It has helped her milk supply, her post-partum depression (she has a history of super awful PPD), and her overall energy level.

ChooChoo87 - it is your placenta, and you will be the one taking the pills. I don't really see why your partner should be able to veto your decision for you - you should go for it!