HCTZ: Are you on it?

Options
After a thyroidectomy it's pretty typical to stay on a calcium supplement is what I was told from my endocrinologist. During my surgery 2 of my parathyroids were removed and my calcium dropped too low and since then I've been put on HCTZ to help my body absorb my 4 daily calcium supplements. Anyone else doing this too?

Replies

• WrenPat60
    WrenPat60 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I noticed that my blood pressure pill has HCTZ in it. I thought it was a diruretic. I have been on these pills for a long time now and was hoping that if I lost weight (I have a ways to go) that I might not have to take them. I am glad you mentioned what your endo said about taking the calcium supplements as I am still taking two Viactiv, a calcium supplement, and wasn't sure if I should continue.
    What is HCTZ? Do you know?

I had my TT Dec 10 2013. I am feeling good and recently completed my second thyroid US f/u and am waiting to hear the results. Good luck with your recovery. Please keep in touch.

WrenPat606
  • coburngirl2
    coburngirl2 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    HCTZ (hydrochlorothiazide) is a diuretic and some how they help our bodies to absorb calcium. I take 4 calcitriol and 4 calcium citrate daily. I got lazy and quit taking the calcium. I started having horrible muscle aches and pains, and as long as I exercise daily and take the calcium, those aches and pains seem to be staying away.

By the way, is that the Seattle skyline in your pic? I'm born and raised in WA but am on the east coast until next year.
  • WrenPat60
    Options
    I didn't realize HCTZ helped with calcium absorption. That may explain my muscle aches and pains I've experienced. My doctor has said I should get my vitamins from my food but I don't think supplements hurt. Thank you for the information. I do take Viactiv calcium chews twice a day. I am feeling good though since my surgery. It has been 11 months my RAI treatment and there have been no problems. If fact, this week was the first time I have been sick since. I think I had the flu.

I have been exercising regularly and feel much better and slowly the weight is coming off so far.

Yes, that is Seattle on my ticker tape. Born, raised there. Go back for the spring and fall now as we are Snowbirds.
    Thank you for your discussion. Please keep in touch.
  • coburngirl2
    coburngirl2 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Definitely would like to keep in touch. I'm usually on here long enough to "log and go" lol. I definitely love Seattle. I was born and raised east of the Cascades and then lived in Kirkland for 12 years. I'm looking forward to being back on the west side of the country :)
  • WrenPat60
    Options
    Yes, I love it there. We winter in Arizona and return in the spring. I love the fall there.