Why it's worth sticking with this...

Options
cathy0536
cathy0536 Posts: 137 Member
Just thought it would be motivational for those who are new to this group to see some of the outcomes from the christmas challenge group - lots of people started the christmas challenge but only a 'select' group completed - and not all of us met our original goals, but we all lost a significant amount of weight. Most of us had weeks when our weight went up and still logged it, so please don't worry if you do have a bad week, just stick with it and the weight will come off!

In 21 weeks I lost 27lbs which was 15.39% of my starting weight. :happy: I am super chuffed with that and it's helping put my small gain since christmas day into perspective...

Anyone else from the christmas group willing to post?

Replies

• mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Yes. I lost 41 pounds and a bit over 16% of my original weight. I always find a little competition with others and myself helps me keep on track. Cathy's comments are right on.

I would add to keep your goals realistic, losing more than 2lbs per week is pretty aggressive and may not pan out. In our last challenge a typical weekly loss seems to have been around 0.4%, some hit plateaus and then had break-throughs of ~1% loss in a week. You should be seeing a saw-toothed weight-loss graph if you weigh everyday like I do. Many only weigh weekly. Whatever works for you is best, I personally need to keep it on the front burner or I start to get sloppy in portion control and logging.
  • bitxbit
    bitxbit Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    I also, finished the Christmas challenge...one of those that did not reach their original goal, but a "graduate" none the less.

My goal for that challenge was to drop 47# (approx. 2.2# p/week). Turns out, that I was pushing myself too hard, stressing out and causing myself to falter. The first 10# lost was due to a change in my meds. I finished at 37# (approx. 1.76# p/wk), with 10.69% lost, which I was very pleased with. For the April Fool challenge, my goal will be closer to a 1.5# loss p/wk.

To quote Mule, " I personally need to keep it on the front burner or I start to get sloppy in portion control and logging". Losing weight is tough, and I will be playing catch-up now, after the "Christmas Chaos". Let's all get those numbers logged in each week and stay motivated!! ~bit
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Me too!!
    I finished the Christmas challenge as well. I started at 171... I finished at 159. 9 pounds away from my goal. However I lost 12 lbs in a few months and much prefer the slow and steady weight loss. I like to eat all the foods.
  • elliott062907
    elliott062907 Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    Got my correct weight today! Blah! Ashamed! I was 289, then 209, now back to 238.9! I have to do this for my health!
  • trimminit
    trimminit Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement!
  • kawookie
    kawookie Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I am a newbie to this group, but I was in another Christmas challenge (Sept 23-Christmas) and ended up losing 29 pounds.

Our statistics were similar in that I only know of 7 people that made the 20 pound goal out of more than 200 that joined the group. On the spreadsheet only twenty or so logged faithfully. Some people did lose clothing sizes more than weight, and that was a win in my book! :drinker:
  • Shaky44
    Shaky44 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    The X-Mas challenge that Mulecanter helped moderate went for 21 weeks. The average person who completed it lost 24 lbs., or just over 1 lb. per week. The average percent body loss was 10.6% and among those who finished, 28.6% met their weight loss goal and the average percent of goal loss attained was just over 82%.
  • JodieHut
    JodieHut Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I can't wait to get started!! Will there be any exercise/food/motivational challenges along the way? :happy:
  • 1crvygrl
    1crvygrl Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I was in another Christmas challenge Nov 4 - Christmas and lost 10 lbs In 7 weeks so I'm shooting for 15 in this challenge, which would leave me appr. 35 lbs from my ultimate goal.
  • mspoopoo
    mspoopoo Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you made this post!
    I'm also from the Christmas group and ended up losing 31 pounds.

It is worth sticking to! I lost weight by being consistent and changing the bad habits.

Feeling healthy is worth far more than any rubbish I used to shove in my gob. :)