Not able to add weight to lifts?

Options
violetrix
violetrix Posts: 60 Member
So I've been doing Stronglifts since September and when I first started I managed to add weight pretty quickly. But with my Bench press, overhead press and barbell row weights I've been lifting the same weight since mid-October. What can I do to start increasing my weights again?
Here are my current lifting weights:
BP - 27.5kg
OP - 15kg
BR - 25kg

Replies

• 15Nov2013
    15Nov2013 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Exactly same problem here ... even similar weights :)
  • _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    After your third failure on one weight, you should have deloaded the weight by 10% the following try. Then increased from that weight on, theoretically, this should have helped you push through the plateau. Otherwise, your other options are doing a 5x3, instead of a 5x5.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Or if you have access to microplates or weighted collars, you can try to micro load (instead of going up by 5lbs, go up by 2.5)

Now I'd like to point out I'm no expert and have little experience here, but another option might be to try the dumbbell variations of these for a week or two.

Since you're working both sides separately and have to stabilize (don't alternate, though!), you'll want to cut your weight in half then -2.5 or -5lbs (so 1-2kg) depending on what you have available. (so for BP you don't want to go with anything above 12.5kg per DB). Working the two arms separately might bright up a lagging arm which will make it so you can press even more weight up when you go back to a barbell.

Just the same, if you're struggling with squats and deadlifts, doing lunges, split squats or 1-legged Romanian deadlifts might help :)

Cuz, you know, you're only as strong as your weakest link!

(As a note though, my general understanding is that you don't wanna be switching back and forth a lot. If you're going to do DB, do them for a few workouts in a row. Don't just do 1 workout then go back, that won't do you much good.)
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    After your third failure on one weight, you should have deloaded the weight by 10% the following try. Then increased from that weight on, theoretically, this should have helped you push through the plateau. Otherwise, your other options are doing a 5x3, instead of a 5x5.

This.

There is also a strong possibility that you could benefit from tweaking form. I would try videoing yourself and posting it for critique. You can use a cell phone and prop it up in a shoe.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options

This.

There is also a strong possibility that you could benefit from tweaking form. I would try videoing yourself and posting it for critique. You can use a cell phone and prop it up in a shoe.

I also agree with this but would also recommend fractional plates. On the upper body lifts a 5lb increase can be super tough. I used to use contractor sized rolls of masking tape. You definitely have a few options and will be able to busy through your stall in no time!
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    I have patented the shoe idea.. how do I collect royalties?! [Insert tipsy smily here..]
  • joycloete
    Options
    I third the microweights idea. I am also stuck on 20 kg for BBR, OHP and bench. But I can squat 40 kg and Deadlift 50 kg!
  • violetrix
    Options

What would be the benefit of changing to 5x3? tbh I don't know why you're supposed to do 5x5 but I'm just curious
    The problem with BR and OP is that I'm using the pre-loaded barbells and they only go up in 5kg. The smallest plates my gym has are 1.25kg (which is nearly 3lbs). I've tried deloading on my BP but whenever I go back up to 27.5kg I can't seem to increase the weight.
  • 15Nov2013
    Options
    What i did in my last two workouts is deload a bit and make more repetitions ... instead of the 5 reps i went 10 .. i felt it worked my muscles more (i may be mistaken i don't know) ... and i thought maybe i need more time before increasing the weight ... i felt that i need more time to get stronger.
    One benefit from this is that i am more able to concentrate and tweak my form a little ... it's going well so far, but not sure when will i add more weight. i guess i will take it easy a bit :)
  • _TastySnoBalls_
    Options

What would be the benefit of changing to 5x3? tbh I don't know why you're supposed to do 5x5 but I'm just curious
    The problem with BR and OP is that I'm using the pre-loaded barbells and they only go up in 5kg. The smallest plates my gym has are 1.25kg (which is nearly 3lbs). I've tried deloading on my BP but whenever I go back up to 27.5kg I can't seem to increase the weight.

The benefit of 5x3, is that you'll be able to progress with lifting heavier, making you stronger. 5x5 will only get you so far, before a 5x3 will be what you need to progress. I also agree with the mention of fractional plates, if your gym doesn't have them, consider purchasing them and take them to the gym with you.

Also, at what deficit are you eating? Caloric intake will also affect your ability to increase the weight on the bar.
  • _TastySnoBalls_
    Options
    What i did in my last two workouts is deload a bit and make more repetitions ... instead of the 5 reps i went 10 .. i felt it worked my muscles more (i may be mistaken i don't know) ... and i thought maybe i need more time before increasing the weight ... i felt that i need more time to get stronger.
    One benefit from this is that i am more able to concentrate and tweak my form a little ... it's going well so far, but not sure when will i add more weight. i guess i will take it easy a bit :)

I think it would be better if you increase the weight and did less repetitions if your goal is to gain strength.
  • violetrix
    Options

The benefit of 5x3, is that you'll be able to progress with lifting heavier, making you stronger. 5x5 will only get you so far, before a 5x3 will be what you need to progress. I also agree with the mention of fractional plates, if your gym doesn't have them, consider purchasing them and take them to the gym with you.

Also, at what deficit are you eating? Caloric intake will also affect your ability to increase the weight on the bar.

Oh I see. I guess 5x3 would be the way to go then. But then should I carry on with 5x5 on my squats if I'm still increasing the weight or just do 5x3 for all of them? I used scooby's calorie calculator and it told me that my TDEE is 2200 but I cut it by 20% so I'm on around 1700 now. I find it quite hard to eat that much without filling up on junk so I've really been eating more like 1400-1500 a day. I have a protein shake on days that I lift though and try and at least 90g a day. I'm 5ft 2" and weigh 132lbs - just fyi
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options

Oh I see. I guess 5x3 would be the way to go then. But then should I carry on with 5x5 on my squats if I'm still increasing the weight or just do 5x3 for all of them? I used scooby's calorie calculator and it told me that my TDEE is 2200 but I cut it by 20% so I'm on around 1700 now. I find it quite hard to eat that much without filling up on junk so I've really been eating more like 1400-1500 a day. I have a protein shake on days that I lift though and try and at least 90g a day. I'm 5ft 2" and weigh 132lbs - just fyi

There is a high probability this is your issue.
  • 15Nov2013
    Options
    :)
  • _TastySnoBalls_
    Options

Yes, carry on with 5x5 on squats and the other lifts that you are progressing on. Also, yes, it seems that you should be eating more. How much weight are you trying to lose? Try eating the 1700 to see if that bump up from 1400 helps. Otherwise you may have to do a 10-15% cut from TDEE. Don't freak out! You're doing it for the gainzzzzzz.. lol
  • victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    Options

There is a high probability this is your issue.

Agree. At my lowest weight in a caloric defiet of around -20% ALL of my lifts stalled. I took a diet vacation for 3 months, upped my protein gained a few lbs and kept on lifting. You can switch to 3x5 like some one else suggested as well. I'd say if you improved your diet you would see more progress though!
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Hee! So today not only did I hit 70x3 but I managed to crank out 1 rep at 75lbs. Not keeping a check on my diet at all, and suddenly I have all kinds of crazy strength. I PRed on EVERYTHING this week. So imagine if my diet had been spot on now.

I guess it IS true that eating at a caloric deficit drastically reduces strength. :)