R-ala/ala to induce keto

Options
JisatsuHoshi
JisatsuHoshi Posts: 421 Member
anyone use any form of alpha lipoic acid (ala) in their keto diet? pretty much it's a glosecose disposal agent at high dosage. Usually before a carb up I take 500~600 Mg and found that it kicks me back into keto within a few hours.

Replies

• LowCarb4Life
    Options
    Good to know! Sorry I have no actual experience with it as a ketosis inducing tool. But I will look into this when i'm finally ready for a carb-up. :-)
  • oldwyn
    oldwyn Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    That's fantastic. Thank you! When you carb load approx how many grams of carbs do you eat?
  • JisatsuHoshi
    JisatsuHoshi Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    That's fantastic. Thank you! When you carb load approx how many grams of carbs do you eat?

I carb cycle for diet.
    No carb keto days = veggies only
    Low carb days = 100g or less twice a week
    High carb days = 300~500g once a week

from what I researched from other bodybuilding websites ala is suppose to push Carbs into your muscles allowing you to maintain strength at the gym as well as dumping them in urine. lowering chances of glucose being coverted to fats. For high carb days I take almost 2g for that day alone. And about 1g for low carb days. once I reach keto I stop taking them though.

heard its best to take at night before bed as it will rid glucose in the bloodstream as you sleep.

not a doctor but if you do decide to add ala start with lower moderation of it and build up. Keep a sugary snack nearby too as the excess dump of glucose could lower your blood sugar. Havent had any issues though but it's been working for me to help maintain keto.
  • oldwyn
    oldwyn Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Excellent info, thank you so much!
  • arcadia1983
    arcadia1983 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I was looking around about ALA and found this topic: beside people who mainly workout, is there anyone who has used ALA just to kickstart ketosis, and if so, did it work? did it work alright?
  • fangirlish
    fangirlish Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    That's interesting - never heard of it used that way. I do take R-ALA but use it to help with diabetic neuropathy pain and the repair of damaged nerves.

I believe ALA is known to reduce the level of biotin in the body, so it might be good to look into supplementing biotin along with higher doses of ALA.