New to Atkins and looking for advice/support and friendship

Options
jen44922
jen44922 Posts: 12 Member
Hi, My name is Jennifer and I just started Atkins Induction on December 26th. About a week ago I looked up all kinds of different diets and from my findings I feel like this one is the best approach for a livelong change for me. I do understand that other good carbs will be incorporated later on. I feel great since I started. Day 2 I had a mad diarrhea and today day 3 I started to have slight headaches, I understand that these will subside. I just ordered ketostrips and they should be here on Monday. Can someone please recommend the best supplements I should be taking? I would like to see what others are eating or doing and how they are doing and just people to learn from. Please add me and Thank you!

Replies

• timwhoa
    timwhoa Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    day 3 is completly normal to feel a little "off" it is your body switching from using carbs as fuel to using fat/ketones for fuel instead, this is exactly what you want, day 4 and day 5 typically you feel marvelous! hang in there
  • kirianna55
    kirianna55 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Just take a womens multi vitamin either right before bed or when you get up. It helps.
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Atkins no longer recommends keto strips. They are not that accurate so save your money, Follow the plan and the weight will come off. I take a vitamin and calcium with D daily.
  • amberecochran
    amberecochran Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I take a multi-vitamin with no iron, vitamin D, and magnesium. I was taking Omega 3 supplements but it thins the blood, and I love my tattoos too much!
  • finallylean
    finallylean Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    You are going to love Atkins. Drink Broth for the headaches. I personally don't take any vitamins, although I think I should, so can't help you in that area. You should start feeling great from the 5th day and beyond! You can do this!
  • lilsammie130
    Options
    Finallylean, what kind of broth? I got a MAJOR headache while doing induction .
  • mewiest
    mewiest Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Although ketostix are totally not necessary, there is that factor of *seeing* the tell tale signs that one is doing things correctly. I have not always used them over the years, but when I have, it was a boost for me. I find that there is something psychologically pleasing about seeing that deep mauve or purple, especially when one is diving into Induction for the first time or again after a long absence. The cost is nominal and the way I saw it was...$8.99 for 50 opportunities to reaffirm that I am doing the right thing, is well worth it. Makes me happy lol =)

>^.^<
  • IrishChik
    IrishChik Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Save your money on the ketostix. The reason they are not recommend is because studies have proven that they are not accurate.

Your best investment is in a blood glucose meter if that is something you really want to keep track of. Much more accurate. If you go back through some of the older posts you will see this discussion and where to get a meter for free.

So long as you are following Induction the way you should then their really should be no question as to whether or not your body has entered into ketosis.
  • Kgremmy
    Kgremmy Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Good Morning...

I started doing Atkins but had a slip up (sick kids and not planning) so I have restarted today. I have a slight headache but I know that it could be because I am tired (sick kids). I have lost weight before with doing Atkins and know that I will do it again. Support is always great and I hope that we call all help each other.
  • SwedishMel
    SwedishMel Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I take a prenatal vitamin ( not preggers here) and biotin. No headaches or fatigue (other than day 3, but I'm told that's normal). :) Good luck!!