spouse of future gastric sleeve patient

Options
godsgrl33
godsgrl33 Posts: 307 Member
Hi, I am a wife of a gastric sleeve patient (January 7th surgery date), and I would like to get support, too. This way, I can ask questions, and look at all the old discussions. Any suggestions for me?

Replies

• VaingloriousVictoria
    Options
    My husband has been my biggest cheerleader and accountability buddy. Based on what we went through, I recommend you learning all of the "rules" that your husband has been charged with following. This will help you understand why he does things, what he can eat, and how you can help him. This way you understand what he needs to be doing, and you aren't questioning why he can't eat/do _______.

For me, I needed him at the beginning to help remind me to take certain vitamins and to encourage me to drink my water and drink my protein shakes. When I started on real foods, he also helped remind me to take my time. It's not a race. :)

Feel free to friend and message me any time. There is a blog dedicated to recipes...I never really used it, but I have heard that a ton of people found great ideas here. http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/

Congratulations to your husband!
  • Tristaan
    Tristaan Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I'm the one that had the surgery, but my husband was very worried about "knowing what to do" when I came home. He was with me through the whole pre-op process, but about a week before he kind of freaked out. I agree with the suggestion that you need to know his diet restrictions, especially if you do the majority of food shopping. Another adjustment for us as a couple has been that for now, we can't really go to restaurants like we used to. Me having this surgery has really pointed out how much of our together time revolved around dining and drink. This was truly the main way we socialized with friends and with each other. We're still adjusting to this, but overall the changes have been good. You might have to redefine the things you enjoy doing together, or modify them, especially the first 6 months. I'm pretty independant and I didn't want him over my shoulder monitoring my food and drink, but there is definitely open communication and I keep him aware of how I am feeling or handling certain foods.
  • godsgrl33
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. I went to the q and a seminar as well as the nutrition seminar, and I think I have a pretty good handle on everything. I was the only spouse or support person that came to the second one. I couldn't believe it. One of the suggestions that they gave was to get a sippy cup, esp. for people that take big gulps (that's him!). I'm thinking of getting him a green bay packer one, because that's his favorite team. What do you drink for protein shakes? Is there a brand you like best?
  • drewgirl56
    drewgirl56 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm a future patient myself, and I need some advice along the same lines. I will be spending most of the time at my parents' house, with my parents, my younger sister, her infant son, and sometimes his father (in a very small space). They are all so focused on their own lives/drama that I don't know how to get through that there are certain things that I need, too. Like sometimes it's a challenge to get 5 minutes to eat, so I don't know when I would be able to get 30 minutes in. Or that when my hormones are all out of whack it would be really helpful if they treated each other nicely and didn't behave like juveniles. Or for that matter, how to get them to realize that every audible sigh, frustrated tone, or quiet or bad mood is not a personal attack.
  • godsgrl33
    Options
    I'm a future patient myself, and I need some advice along the same lines. I will be spending most of the time at my parents' house, with my parents, my younger sister, her infant son, and sometimes his father (in a very small space). They are all so focused on their own lives/drama that I don't know how to get through that there are certain things that I need, too. Like sometimes it's a challenge to get 5 minutes to eat, so I don't know when I would be able to get 30 minutes in. Or that when my hormones are all out of whack it would be really helpful if they treated each other nicely and didn't behave like juveniles. Or for that matter, how to get them to realize that every audible sigh, frustrated tone, or quiet or bad mood is not a personal attack.

Sorry to hear about all the drama going on during this time for you, drewgirl56. Do you have your own house to go to, or do you live there? In my opinion, if at all possible, I would surround yourself with supportive people to help you through this. Make a plan and try to map out your days if possible, too, such as what you're going to eat and when, and prepare ahead of time so you're not stressed about it. Some of my friends do their food journal days in advance.