Protein

Options
Ok I have a question, my doctor said I need to get at least 60 grams of protein in a day (more if I can), but since my surgery I just can't stomach the taste or smell of protein powders or shakes. I had no problem with the powders or shakes before the surgery but now they just make me gag! I do get my 60 grams a day (sometimes slightly under) by my normal eating of meals/snack but I want to know if anyone has ideas on how I can up my protein without the use of protein powders or shakes. I would like to be getting about 100 grams or more a day but fear I'll never be able to if I can't deal with the powders or shakes and I'm tired of wasting money on trying different brands/flavors to end up having the same gagging results. :(

Replies

• grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    I would try a protein bar. My favorite are Quest. They have the best ingredients and nutritional profile of any protein bar I've seen. They are all 20 or 21 grams of protein, and 160 to 190 calories, depending on the flavor. Nutritious and delicious. I get mine online direct, by the box, as that is the least expensive. GNC carries them, but they are about 50% more expensive.
  • Agate69
    Agate69 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Most protein powders call for a scoop in one cup liquid. Try diluting them more and use lots of ice. I do 3 scoops chocolate in one cup milk, 2 cups iced coffee and 16 -32 oz cold water.
    Mis protein powder with peanut butter , yogurt, oatmeal, ,
  • DJRonnieLINY
    DJRonnieLINY Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    The quest bars are very good and I like the Isopure clear liquid protein drinks (fruity flavors, taste like a Jolly Rancher). 160 calories per 20 oz bottle gains 40 grams of high clear protein. If you like sardines try Season Brand (skinless/boneless) sardines in olive oil. 4.375 oz package (2 servings gains you 24 grams of proteins in 244 calories plus you get the Omega 3 boost).
  • LolaBug85
    LolaBug85 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I would highly recommend Quest bars as well :) They are SO good for you and there are a ton of flavors to choose from to find one(s) you like!
  • MaggyMaizy2
    MaggyMaizy2 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I lived on Greek yogurt for months after RNY surgery. Like you, I couldn't tolerate protein shakes. When I was able to eat solids, I added protein bars. I started with Atkins, just to get the calories in, but now I rely on Quest bars. Love their variety!
  • TriciaAllen7251
    TriciaAllen7251 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Greek Yogurt, Cottage cheese, boiled eggs. Isopure, BiPro unflavored protein mixed in other things.
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I know at first it's hard to get in the protein due to not being able to eat much at a time. Try to get your protein from natural foods rather than the protein shakes and bars. Some people have mentioned greek yogurt, I also like Quinoa. There are lots of foods with protein that aren't man made. Do some research.
  • saneChick
    Options
    Thanks for starting this thread. I had sleeve surgery on December 4th and I am supposed to be getting 65 protein in and I can't drink any of the shakes I have bought. Like you I had no problem drinking them before surgery. My doctor said it will get better but even just the smell makes me very nauseous.
  • godsgrl33
    godsgrl33 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    greek yogurt?