Dairy?

Options
Hey guys... I'm curious about your intake of dairy. I've been attempting to follow the paleo regime for a while now, but I haven't quite given up on dairy. I still have 1/2 and 1/2 in my coffee and cheese on my salad or eggs. It doesn't feel like it harms me (I know that my body does much, MUCH better with higher fat dairy than lower fat - ie: no milk for this girl). What have your experiences been? Do you feel like your weight loss/muscle building is accelerated by no dairy? I worry that my protein will plummet if I nix it.

Thoughts/opinions??

Replies

• Wilhellmina
    Wilhellmina Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    I ditched it almost completely not so long ago. I am a true cheese addict, but to me it doesn't do any good, one piece of cheese and the scale hates me + can't say I feel too well with it. I guess that just differs per person. Some can handle the lactose and for some having diary in the Paleo/Primal diet is okay. I guess I stick to the goat cheese so now and then and the butter.
  • kenkl
    kenkl Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I started out with Paleo, but wasn't enjoying the lack of half-and-half in my coffee. I borrowed a bit from keto - dairy's fine if it doesn't have lactose. So, heavy cream became my go-to for coffee. To my delight, butter and many cheeses are generally lactose (carbs) free, so it was pretty liberating. A big surprise to me was that tomatoes have more carbs than heavy cream.
  • Kaelitr0n
    Kaelitr0n Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Heavy cream is, in fact, about 3% lactose. It just amounts to something so tiny that they don't have to report it on nutrition labels when your serving size is a tablespoon.

I went completely dairy free for my first month of Paleo (August), as well as last month (November, Whole30). I miss cheese and cream in my coffee during those times, but it's part of the challenge. I'm doing another Whole30 starting January 1st, and so will cut the dairy again. This time, I'm really going to pay attention to my body when I reintroduce it in February. I don't think I have a reaction to it, but I could totally be pulling a blind over my eyes due to my love for cheese.

Edit to add:
    I do follow the same rules for buying dairy as I do for the rest of my Paleo fodder. I look for organic, grass fed, pastured sources (Whole Foods usually has this).
  • kenkl
    kenkl Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Heavy cream is, in fact, about 3% lactose. It just amounts to something so tiny that they don't have to report it on nutrition labels when your serving size is a tablespoon.

Huh. Did not know that. I guess that's what I get for not fully researching it. I knew about the <1g thing about labeling, but didn't dig deeper on that one element in my diet. I stand corrected.

Still not sure I am willing to give it up, though. When I first started, I replaced half-and-half (sometimes straight-up milk) with Stevia, but it's just not the same.

You've given me something new to think about, so thanks, I guess. :smile:
  • ceestahr
    Options
    I absolutely want to do the whole30 - I'm starting a new job and as soon as I can move into my own place I'll be attempting it. There's no way I'll have the ambition to do the program while at the house I'm at currently - they buy all sorts of unsafe foods. I don't do organic at the moment either, but will once I make the transition. I suppose I just wanted to know if anyone noticed a huge difference in themselves when going dairy-free as opposed to keeping it in their diet.
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I did a Whole30 and tested dairy when it was over...and I had no reaction so I absolutely have kept it in my diet.
  • ceestahr
    Options
    Good to hear! Hope the same is true for me :)
  • Supertact
    Supertact Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I did strict paleo for 4 months than introduced yogurt back into my diet and had no bad effects.
    If you can digest dairy go for it in my opinion
  • chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    I only restrict dairy when I'm sick because it increases mucous. So I say, go for it.
  • Fit_in_Folsom
    Fit_in_Folsom Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I did the Whole 30 for 33 days, slowly introduced dairy and had not affects. I have since moved over to using Kerri Gold butter (grass fed/organic) and like that even in my coffee (bullet proof). I am currently going dairy free for weight loss though.
  • greenhudler
    Options
    I did a Whole30 and tested dairy when it was over...and I had no reaction so I absolutely have kept it in my diet.
    Same here. I have zero issues with dairy and it's in my diet daily.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I added dairy back and have done fine with it. In fact, I've found that I need the dairy fat (it is hard for me to get my fat calories from oils, avocado, and meat fat alone).
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Most everyone I know that is into the Paleo lifestyle sources out raw dairy or they at least source out grass fed dairy if they purchase from a grocery store.

I think the key mostly is to use good, quality sources of food. Not the cheap, crappy cheese such as Kraft, etc.........

I like to make my own butter and yogurt, but with going back to school I have come to realize that I just don't have the time to make everything like I was before, so I buy the best sources of foods that I can afford.
  • primalkiwi
    primalkiwi Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I love dairy (esp cheese) and didn't think it affected me but was surprised when I dropped it for a Whole30 that the weight started to move downwards without any other changes. I added it back and weightloss stalled. I'm doing another Whole30 for January and will probably leave it out altogether after that and just treat it as a special indulgence (give me cheese over chocolate any day!). I know it will still fit within my carbs and not set me off on other cravings.
  • ceestahr
    Options
    Primalkiwi: Exactly the kind of feedback I wanted to hear. I can't wait to start whole30... hopefully the same thing happens to me! Although I'm certainly going to miss the cream in my coffee and my veggie dip.

Anyone use coconut milk creamer?
  • maieranne77
    maieranne77 Posts: 191 Member
    Options

Anyone use coconut milk creamer?
    I have used the so delicious vanilla creamer and it's a great substitute. I have to use more than usual though.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

Huh. Did not know that. I guess that's what I get for not fully researching it. I knew about the <1g thing about labeling, but didn't dig deeper on that one element in my diet. I stand corrected.

Still not sure I am willing to give it up, though. When I first started, I replaced half-and-half (sometimes straight-up milk) with Stevia, but it's just not the same.

You've given me something new to think about, so thanks, I guess. :smile:

Standard butter also has a small amount of lactose, as well. It's actually what browns/burns when you heat butter in a skillet. If you want to go lactose free, go for clarified butter, or ghee. Alternatively, you can clarify your butter, yourself.

Also, try butter in your coffee, instead of the cream. You might like that, though you may have to add a little stevia to get the sweetness back that removing the lactose might remove.

In general for Paleo: raw dairy > grass fed pasteurized > organic pasteurized > conventional. Also - non-homogenized > homogenized (homogenization screws with the fat molecules and is often what causes the health issues commonly associated with dairy fat), and always full-fat over low-fat.