Macros and Pregnancy

Options
Hey ladies - where are your macros set? Currently, I have MFP guidelines but have been playing around with the idea of upping my protein. I've been terribly "snacky" mid-afternoon and am wondering if MFP's setting for protein could be why.

Protein has always been a bit tough for me because I can't physically eat tons of meat. I love meat, but I'm more of a meat-eater at one meal than all 3. I also have a dairy allergy so the go-to's of cottage cheese and greek yogurt are a no go. Likewise, I get tired of protein powder. I've got some good ideas from my friends on MFP but wondering if anyone else has any ideas and where your macros are set! Thanks.

Replies

• meghanvest
    Options
    Mine are set at 35/15/50 for carbs/protein/fat. I've been doing a more low carb diet and it really does help with all day munchies. I eat healthy fats like nuts,avocados,yogurt,cheese and also eat my eggs and bacon and other meats. That's what has been working for me from not feeling starving all the time. A diet higher in healthy fats keeps me fuller longer and I find myself actually losing weight unintentionally, even with eating ice cream everyday. Having a dairy allergy hurts some as far as choices though, but nuts are a great snack and most have decent amounts of protein in them :)
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    I custom set mine based on my weight/height settings on another website that tells you how much you should be getting when you are pregnant. Just entered my stats in there and all it does is tells you how much you should get, come back here and custom changed the settings to that.
    I would tell you if it is working out well for me - but I truly wouldn't know. I stopped entering my food into MFP when I started throwing everything up. I truly didnt see the point!
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Once I got pregnant, macros went out the window! I do find myself leaning more towards healthy fats & protein, and away from carbs. Honestly, at 29ish weeks I met with a nutritionist and switched to eating a couple hundred calories every 2-3 hrs and feel amazing! Energy is great, no weight gain, life is good! I'd recommend this to anyone (pregnant or not) as it's done wonders for me!
  • Lisa_Rhodes
    Lisa_Rhodes Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I have my macros set at 25/30/45 for carbs/protein/fat. I am a low carber, but I was carb heavy for several weeks as I was craving comfort food and was pretty sick feeling, but after that, I started to crave healthier, lighter foods. As of today, I feel tons better eating the way I used to. :happy:
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    35 CHO, 35 Prot, 30 fat, due to my PCOS, but honestly I'm often low on the protein and high on carbs an fat
  • mycrazy8splus1
    mycrazy8splus1 Posts: 1,558 Member
    Options
    have you ever tried goat dairy products? We raise goats because all of our children are allegic to cow milk. Goat dairy is easier to digest and,if you can find a local supplier, will have far fewer hormones and junk in it.
  • krystina_letitia9
    krystina_letitia9 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    have you ever tried goat dairy products? We raise goats because all of our children are allegic to cow milk. Goat dairy is easier to digest and,if you can find a local supplier, will have far fewer hormones and junk in it.

I have not but will see if I can find some goat cheese next time at our local Co-op!
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I think I'm on 2600 calories and 45 carbs, 30 fat, 25 protein
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    Protein: 70
    http://www.babycenter.com/0_protein-in-your-pregnancy-diet_1690.bc

Fat: no more than 35%
    http://www.babycenter.com/0_dietary-fats-in-your-pregnancy-diet_1694.bc?page=2

Carbs: no exact number. This depends on your blood sugar/your weight/your needs. Unless you have a medical reason that says otherwise, I wouldnt stress carbs at all.

Be certain you are aiming for 30grams of fiber per day and getting all the essential vitamins and minerals you need if your prenatal falls short.
  • jmyrtle
    jmyrtle Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I have mine set at carbs 35/Protein 45/Fat 20 and it seems to work its the sodium that I think is the concern when eating bad carbs or high fat.
  • doodlebug32
    doodlebug32 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    hey! i'm new to this board, but have you tried putting Chia seeds in your food? they are a great source of protein, as well as fiber and would up your intake without upping bulk, and may help keep the snacky feeling at bay. i like putting mine in things like oatmeal and shakes in lieu of protein powder. i also just made a chia seed "pudding" that's a pretty strange consistency (they expand and get "blobby" as my 4 YO puts it), but yummy!