New Years Eve Alcohol

Options
dreja89
dreja89 Posts: 18 Member
I'm not going to be able to resist. I'm only 3 weeks into the diet and have lost 3kg, and it's all going well, Ketostix showing what they're meant to, etc etc... I'm going to end up drinking tomorrow. What's the lesser evil?
Vodka soda water or diet lemonade or something? :(
At least there won't be too much of it - can't hold my drink since I started this. Had one the other night and 15 minutes later looked like Eminem's mother.

Replies

• LBeth1015
    LBeth1015 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Crown and water for me tomorrow! Rum and diet coke is not bad (unless you don't drink soda). :drinker:
  • DehydrationStation
    Options
    I've read that vodka and Coke Zero is your best bet... but you're still rolling the dice on getting kicked out of ketosis.

Also, don't take this the wrong way, but I feel it needs to be said...

Saying that you "can't resist" and that you are "going to end up drinking" is not a good mindset to have. I mean, drink if you want you, by all means get utterly smashed, but definitely don't make it sound like you lack free will or the ability to choose not to.

You choose to eat seriously reduced carbs. You can choose not to drink.
  • KayNowayJose
    KayNowayJose Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I don't drink (I don't judge, I just have medical conditions).

So I'm being REALLY risky and tipping back some Diet Sierra Mist Cranberry Splash. :laugh: :drinker:
  • dreja89
    Options
    Aha, it's not alcohol in general - it's the fact that it's a big New Year's party specifically :) and I can choose not to drink, but I'd rather give in to temptation.
  • LatinaGordita
    LatinaGordita Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I don't drink at all, however I did splurge (sweets and a smidgen of rum) on Christmas eve. I was out of ketosis for 4 days. Tomorrow, NYE I won't get kicked out of keto. Just not worth it, this time. However, I will be dancing the night away. I did my splurge Christmas eve and I am going to keto on.

Its your own personal decision -- will it be worth it? Would you be ok with being out of ketosis for a few days and maybe not have a loss this week? Just "weigh" what you want more....
  • dreja89
    Options
    I don't know, I'm hoping four or five vodkas with soda won't kick me out for too long... I'm not a big drinker but this is a ritual reunion of friends that happens annually :)
    I wanted to ask, how accurate are those Ketostix? Mine show the second darkest colour mid-afternoon, after I've had enough water in the night/morning to know it's not just dehydration, as the label says it can just show dehydration...
    I mean, how do you know when you're in ketosis? Just the strips or?
    Christ, sorry, I'm really new to this. And craving pizza, but eating grilled chicken and cheese. And wanting all my stupid questions answered. :)
  • DehydrationStation
    Options
    I don't know, I'm hoping four or five vodkas with soda won't kick me out for too long...

:O

Please, for the love of all that is holy, read this thread on Reddit:

http://www.reddit.com/r/keto/comments/15ruys/alcohol_tolerance_psa_for_those_new_to_keto/
  • dreja89
    Options
    HA! Well, that's even better. I'll have one or two over the course of a few hours, get tipsy, and leave it there :)
  • DehydrationStation
    Options
    For what the shocked face?

Because, if you're really thick into keto, your alcohol tolerance is going to be VERY low, particularly if you're mixing with carbonated drinks. If I had 4 or 5 vodka drinks in one night, on keto, I would black out... and I'm a six-foot dude.

But some people learn experientially.
  • dreja89
    Options
    I apologize for hasty response, the only part of your post that loaded was the shocked face without the link underneath, hence over reaction (am suffering here, three housemates stuck in a pizza right next to me)
    I suppose I'll see how it goes, play it by ear. I don't want to get utterly wrecked, just tipsy with mates.
  • dreja89
    Options
    Can I ask how long you've been in keto and how you tell whether you are or aren't?
  • DehydrationStation
    Options
    Can I ask how long you've been in keto and how you tell whether you are or aren't?
    I've been in keto since December 16th or so. I'm right in the middle of the 'keto flu' phase. Not yet keto-adapted.

If you are producing ketones in your urine (no matter how much or how little), you are in ketosis. But you have to be in ketosis for 9 to 12 weeks before you start keto-adapting. When you keto-adapt, you no longer pee ketones, because you are using them all. You have to do blood ketone levels to see them.

If you're in ketosis, but not yet adapted, and you get kicked out of keto... there is really no way to tell how much more time you're adding to the time it takes you to get keto-adapted. You could get over it in a week, or it could set you back a month or more.

I hope this helps you understand why I am shocked by the casualness with which you discuss getting kicked out of keto. I wouldn't risk flushing away the 2+ weeks I've put in for anything.
  • dreja89
    Options
    Aha, in that case I do get it. :)
    Incredibly uninformed over here!
    Well, I had horrible horrible symptoms first four or five days, headaches, weird stomach, felt dizzy, exhausted, moody... that's passed, thankfully... but I thought I'd get away with tomorrow! Since I won't, I'd better not risk it. Not going back to step one!
  • dreja89
    Options
    Thank you, by the way... appreciate all advice very much.
  • DehydrationStation
    Options
    Thank you, by the way... appreciate all advice very much.
    You're very welcome. I just hope it didn't come across as sharp or snarky.

From what I've read, few things are worse than a hangover + keto flu.
  • emmysusanne
    emmysusanne Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Gin & Slimline Tonic is fab or whisky if you like it :) Here in Scotland there's no way you could say no to a whisky on Hogmanay :) Been in Ketosis since September and my tolerance is now ridiculously low, so you may feel the effect earlier too. Hope you have a great night, you're doing brilliantly!