January 2014 Challenge!

Options
davemunger
davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
Check-in here for:
January!
Remember, folks, there's a new system for recording your numbers -- you'll need to visit the spreadsheet below and record your information on the first tab. The second tab tallies the results.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AkmK3myW0PepdHRIYVJFUHprTk5lQ2pEMmFBNnhCUHc

To get started, you need to enter your name and your GOAL for January. Let us know in the comments if you have any difficulties doing this. Then, enter your mileage each day. Everything should be automatically tallied on the second page of the spreadsheet -- please DON'T edit the second page!. Let us know if it's not working and we'll fix it!

Important: Enter your name/goal at the bottom of the list; we'll sort it periodically. It doesn't work to add a name to the middle!

*** Spreadsheet:

As usual -- to refresh the spreadsheet -> click the refresh :happy: button on your browser, or try CTRL+R then CTRL + F5 a couple of times if you are using the Windows OS, or replace the CTRL key with Command key if you are on a MAC, or, Command+R and then Command+Shift+R on a MAC. We will try to update this a few times each week, or you can always visit the Google Doc spreadsheet if you have any questions!

( --- refresh browser for latest copy --- )

January:
Jan_MFP.png

December:
Dec_MFP.png

Replies

• julie_emma1
    Options
    Thanks for posting, Dave! I'm in for 100 miles for January :-)
  • Leanz
    Leanz Posts: 2,025 Member
    Options
    This is great thanks Dave. Thanks for the work you do as well!
    I will try for 110miles in January!
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    Options
    Thank you so much for doing this, and taking the time to post. This has help me push harder and be determine to reach the goal that I set for myself.

I will try for 80 in January, it was not easy reaching the 70 miles this month but I managed to push through it.
  • CrisAlex
    CrisAlex Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I'm in again but for 110 this month. Off to do my last run of the year! Happy New Year's everyone:)
  • tappae
    tappae Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I haven't made my goal on one of these spreadsheets yet! I'll try lowering it to 100 for January and see if I can do that.
  • pafagel
    pafagel Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I'm in for 125 again!
  • nermal6873
    nermal6873 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I can't believe I'm saying this, but putting myself down for 150!
  • Cooriander
    Cooriander Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for doing this -

I am so happy it is 2014 Finally

I am going to aim for 120 miles, maybe more later. Still recovering from the flu, but I can run now. YAY! :happy: and I did a 6 miler yesterday and felt fabulous! :drinker:
  • danimal5867
    Options
    After an entirely too long hiatus, I am back to focusing on my health and fitness which means I am back to running. Gotta say I love the new do-it-yourself spreadsheet. I'm starting small this month and shooting for 50 miles.
  • runningchick70
    runningchick70 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Still dealing with a back injury. Keeping miles very low this month with 50.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Thanks again for setting this up. My goal is a little silly this month but I think I can survive without injury

This formula determined my mileage goal:

http://tinyurl.com/ky8hbl6

I am expecting to give up sometime next month.

exercise.png
  • marikevr
    marikevr Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Hi! I have been MIA for a couple of months but I am back. The spreadsheet looks great.
  • davemunger
    Options
    So, I hate to be a stick-in-the-mud, but I'm really not sure this is a place where you should be pre-logging mileage. Anyone else want to chime in? In my view, you should only record miles you've actually run. But I'm happy to hear what others think.
  • wombat94
    wombat94 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    In general I agree. I had made a mistake yesterday when I was logging my runs from the 1st through the 5th and accidentally put 12/30 in as 1/1 - and therefore had two extra days logged... and runs out until 1/7. I realized it and fixed it within about 5 minutes.

The only pre-logging I see right now on the spreadsheet appear to be people's major races for the month.

Looks like cooriander may be doing the Goofy Challenge at Disney this weekend and zenintexas has a marathon on the following sunday.

I think that that sort of pre-logging is okay in my book... the major goal races are a yardstick most of us runners work really hard towards and I don't have a problem with folks putting them in... to me its just another way to say "I WILL cross the finish line of this race, no matter what."

Well.. that's my 2 cents.

Ted
  • Cooriander
    Cooriander Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Sorry, yes I am doing the goofy this weekend, and I originally pre-logged it. I have removed it for now.

I am unsure about 'pre-logging', I can definitely see both sides on the issue. The spreadsheet is the "done" list, or as Wombat said, there are some events that you will just do! But then again, you could get injured and it will not happen. :sad:

I am OK either way, but I am leaning towards just adding it after I am done :smile:
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Sorry, yes I am doing the goofy this weekend, and I originally pre-logged it. I have removed it for now.

I am unsure about 'pre-logging', I can definitely see both sides on the issue. The spreadsheet is the "done" list, or as Wombat said, there are some events that you will just do! But then again, you could get injured and it will not happen. :sad:

I am OK either way, but I am leaning towards just adding it after I am done :smile:

Have fun with goofy this weekend!
  • wombat94
    Options

Best of luck doing the Goofy!

I did the Disney Half last january, and have my first marathon planned for later this year... someday I want to do the Goofy Challenge (or maybe, heaven help me, the Dopey!)
  • davemunger
    Options
    I've fixed the spreadsheet so you can pre-log miles, but it won't add them to the actual tally until the date of the pre-logged miles is reached. Hope that works for everyone!
  • wombat94
    Options
    Great idea, Dave.

Very good compromise!
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Ugh. This quad injury is keeping me from getting the miles in I need for this Ultra. Will keep plugging along but I think that my goal of 175 may be going bye-bye. Will do the best I can! Fingers crossed!!!