Rowing goals for 2014

Options
Hi. For now I row exclusively indoor on a Concept II. I know it's ambitious, but I want to row 1,000,000 meters this year. It breaks down to 19,231 per week. I'll be travelling, so I'm budgeting time to do 25,000 m/week with 8 weeks off. What are your goals? Meters total? Marathons? Challenges? Let's hear 'em!

Replies

• mrspeterson
    mrspeterson Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    My rowing goal is simple: to develop a daily rowing practice. I'm starting tomorrow, with the C2 virtual team challenge, which I will plug again here because it starts tomorrow!!! ;-)

Cubsgirl, i am a die hard Sox fan, but I encourage you to sign up for the "MFP Friends" team on the C2 site (see the other thread or message me for more details.) Joining the challenge is fun and would be a great start to your year goal. I am coming off an non-erg injury so will be slowly building my meterage back up over the month. I did 100K at the fall challenge, and hope to reach that goal this month as well.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I'm in for the C2 virtual team challenge too and the plan is start the year with a bang - row 21,097m tomorrow (not worried about a PB).

I rowed 1,326,509 in calendar 2013 and my goal is 2,000,000 for 2014.

Happy New Year!
  • skcardiog
    skcardiog Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    1,311,500 m rowed in 2013 - 1 st year rowing.

3540 km on bike in 2013

1.5 million m goal for 2014
  • cubsgirlinny
    cubsgirlinny Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Great! You guys are making me feel more sane. Nice to know there are others out there who are out for putting up big numbers. I love it. Best on reaching your goals.
  • judy76751
    judy76751 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,
    I just started rowing this week. I have a lot of joint injuries and found it too painful to do the treadmill. I enjoy the elliptical, but after a while it gets boring. I have never pursued the rower because I never thought I had the stamina/endurance for it. This week so far I have worked up to two 15 minute sessions + 15 minutes on the elliptical for a total of 45 minutes of cardio for the last 3 days. I break it up because my desire for water is too overwhelming and it is difficult for me to row and try to drink water at the same time. I am looking forward to learning from everyone here.
    Thanks!
  • BrianSharpe
    Options
    Hi Everyone,
    I just started rowing this week. I have a lot of joint injuries and found it too painful to do the treadmill. I enjoy the elliptical, but after a while it gets boring. I have never pursued the rower because I never thought I had the stamina/endurance for it. This week so far I have worked up to two 15 minute sessions + 15 minutes on the elliptical for a total of 45 minutes of cardio for the last 3 days. I break it up because my desire for water is too overwhelming and it is difficult for me to row and try to drink water at the same time. I am looking forward to learning from everyone here.
    Thanks!

It takes a little while but you can train yourself to get over the urge to drink excessively while exercising.

One of the keys is to stay well hydrated throughout the day (no, you don't need to drink gallons of water every day,; 2 litres of fluids is plenty for most people unless you're working out for long durations in high heat) and have a small drink before exercise. You might also try chewing gum helps keep your mouth from feeling dry.

As to stamina, frequency is more important that duration and duration is more important than intensity. Regular short, moderate intensity sessions will get you headed down the right path (the same is true for any exercise)

Have fun!
  • mtcastillo86
    mtcastillo86 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I'm on the 5th week of the Beginner Pete Plan.

http://thepeteplan.wordpress.com/beginner-training/

Just doing the 3 core workouts now, but thinking about adding 1 of the optional ones.
  • lucan07
    lucan07 Posts: 509
    Options
    I have rowed 1,191,233 mtrs to date since Aug 12 2013 and 701,097 mtrs of those were last month in the January challenge.

My target for 2014 is around 70k per week or 3.65 million meters for the year.
  • chelso0o
    chelso0o Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I also made it my goal to row 1,000,000 meters in 2014! One of my teammates said that when you row 1,000,000 meters and log it into your Concept 2 logbook, they send you a t-shirt and pin.

Let's earn our shirts!
  • BrianSharpe
    Options
    I also made it my goal to row 1,000,000 meters in 2014! One of my teammates said that when you row 1,000,000 meters and log it into your Concept 2 logbook, they send you a t-shirt and pin.

Let's earn our shirts!

Yup, you get your C2 1million meter shirt, pin & downloadable certificate. Certificates for every million meters thereafter, I think the next shirt is at 5,000,000 (there's one rower on the FB group that just hit 47,000,000 m!)
  • Ilovevwgolf
    Ilovevwgolf Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    End of the C2 Rowing year 2013-2014 and I only managed to clock 358 000 meters...I hang my head in shame. Bcos last year I managed 823 000 meters. I've let everything that happened in my life get between me and my rowing machine...excuses after excuses! And I have gain all the weight I have lost in the beginning of the year...Not a happy bunny!
  • fitandfortyish
    fitandfortyish Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I manged to row 1,138,790m in the rowing season 2013/14. Not feeling as ambitious this year due to wanting to cross train more on my bike over the summer...but who knows!!
  • mtcastillo86
    mtcastillo86 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I bought a used Virus Turbo Classic II rowing scull for little more than a song last week. I need to finish cleaning it up, which I can do now that the weather is cooperating, and get her in the water to see how she rides.

After I finished my sculling class, I thought ... hmmm, I dunno, this is a lot of work ... I may just stick to kayaking.... And I won't give up kayaking, of course; there's just places you can go in a kayak that you can't in a rowboat. BUT when I picked up those carbon fiber oars, I realized that I couldn't wait to feel them in my hands as I drove them through the water. I believe I really am hooked on rowing, too!
  • sunship
    sunship Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I am in Germany for work, and found a gym with a Model E.

I tell you, the plastic handlebar is MUCH better than that on the Model C -- my hands are singing -- literally -- :)

That said, my projected annual meters from the C2 site are at 4.6 MM meters -- we'll see what happens.

I love rowing, but I love eating more -- the battle continues!!