Exercise plans/goals

Options
cathy0536
cathy0536 Posts: 137 Member
Have found having a plan for exercise has really helped me stick with it. Goals for the challenge and further into 2014 are:

1. Complete turbofire - I am on week 7 of this 12 week programme and have carried on with it right through Christmas, did help that christmas day and new year's day have fallen on rest days :wink:

2. Re-do 30 DS, I completed this last year and would like to redo it concentrating more on the unmodified versions

3. Another beachbody programme - maybe T20, I work out first thing in the morning so a 30 minute programme works well for me

4. And later in the year C25K, run a 10K for charity, start lifting some weights for further toning (when I get to goal) and maybe another round of turbofire.

And as you may notice, some of my spellings will look weird to US folk, this is because (as Mule put it!) I am more English than the Queen! :laugh: New Year's day nearly over here, am loking forward to being less hung over tomorrow :sick: :sick:

Replies

• jillyjelly
    jillyjelly Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    first - good goals but what is Turbo fire and lets see I will be trying to do more sit-ups and push-ups and maybe other things .
  • cathy0536
    cathy0536 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    http://www.beachbody.com/product/fitness_programs/turbofire.do

Turbofire is a fairly intense programme of cardio workouts, really very effective and fun to do, but you need to be fit to start it! I started off just walking and have then gradually added exercise DVDs of varying intensity and length and now do 60 mins 6 days per week, plus other walks when I can fit them in.
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Thanks Cathy for leading the way--I'd follow her lead if I were you!! She has been as tenacious as a rabid badger :mad: even though well-disguised by her proper English demeanor.:flowerforyou:

I plan to keep running, goal for this challenge is to round my run up to 10k, I'm running 5.25 miles now. I'd also like to get my pace up a bit--I'm still pounding away at about a 9:30/mile pace. I also want to ramp up my weight training if possible. I tend to feel weak on my weight training days so I have not been upping my weight amounts. Would like to amp it up a bit on each machine--I'll set a goal for now of a one plate increase in all machines with same reps/sets. Anybody out there with more weight training expertise, advice wanted. :ohwell:
  • JodieHut
    JodieHut Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    My program, for now, is simply LOTS of cardio! I am carrying a lot of fat at 211 pounds, so burning that with cardio is my priority. I go to the gym six days a week and walk on the treadmill or ride the stationary bike for at least 60 minutes. I've used the strength machines only a handful of times. When I get down to around 180 I will start using the machines more. I started a 30 Day Plank Challenge today.... so that will help with core strength. :smile:
  • danifo0811
    danifo0811 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    My goal is to get up to exercise in the morning. I always feel great when I do but I find it very hard to actually get out of bed!
    I've just started Ripped in 30 so my goal is to finish it!
  • meganmoore112
    meganmoore112 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    My exercise goal is 5 days a week with at least 30 minutes of exercise. I did a lot of running last year, including my first and only marathon, but it never helped get me to my goal. So this year I'm going to focus on strength training combined with running. And when I do run, I will do intervals and work on speed. Strength training will just be body weight for now. I may or may not join the gym. I'm still waffling on that.

Also, I got a Fit Bit for Christmas and I plan to reach 10,000 steps a day. I might increase that goal after I see how it goes at work tomorrow. I'm a high school teacher, so I walk around quite a bit. Plus I will likely add more purposeful walking during my planning periods.
  • shuki_cotren
    shuki_cotren Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    My goal is to start out by just making sure I do AT LEAST 25-30 min of exercise each day (edit* 6 days a week). Today I started with a Leslie Sansone 2 mile walk DVD. And I have a large collection of exercise DVDs to choose from for variety.
    I did a 30DS last year as well and am contemplating starting again this month but I'm undecided.
  • bitxbit
    bitxbit Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    I intend to increase time on my elliptical & begin dumbbell/stability ball work. My lack of solid commitment to exercise, kept me from my Christmas challenge goal.
  • cbumbalough
    cbumbalough Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    My plan is to stay within my caloric goals. I am also going to move more. I have to dig them out of the DVDs, but I have some exercise DVDs around. I want to try to start them. I have a version of The Firm from WAY back when and I think I have 30DS and a few more. I also have a Wii and Kinect that have activity games for them, so I should be doing something. Finding time is an issue for me, so I'm going to make time. It's baby steps, but I've always admired runners, so I'd like to eventually start running, but I need to start out with a walk. In the last month or so (part of what has prompted me to really get focused), my knees sound like they are grinding going up stairs. Never did that before. Hopefully losing some weight and moving around will get me to where I need to be to get started on that. :
  • KMasz
    KMasz Posts: 2,637 Member
    Options
    Thanks Cathy for leading the way--I'd follow her lead if I were you!! She has been as tenacious as a rabid badger :mad: even though well-disguised by her proper English demeanor.:flowerforyou:

I plan to keep running, goal for this challenge is to round my run up to 10k, I'm running 5.25 miles now. I'd also like to get my pace up a bit--I'm still pounding away at about a 9:30/mile pace. I also want to ramp up my weight training if possible. I tend to feel weak on my weight training days so I have not been upping my weight amounts. Would like to amp it up a bit on each machine--I'll set a goal for now of a one plate increase in all machines with same reps/sets. Anybody out there with more weight training expertise, advice wanted. :ohwell:

Very Nice goals! I feel mine are similar to yours. I am planning to do a 10k in March. I run twice a week during my lunch break, so my time is limited to 45 mins, but I've managed to get up to 4.5 miles straight. I would like to get up to 5 miles in 45 mins by the end of January.

As far as lifting goes, I am no expert in this area. But I have been lifting following New Rules of Lifting for Women. In the book, the author stresses the importance of increasing weight & sets as you decrease reps. For example, week 1 would be 2 sets, 15 reps of whatever weight. week 2 would be 2 sets, 12 reps of an increased weight from week 1. week 3 would be 3 sets, 10 reps of another increased weight from week 2. then week 4 would be 3 sets, 8 reps of yet another increased weight from week 3. In the book it does 5 different exercises for each workout, two different workouts a week, for 2-3 days a week. If you like the idea of that structure, I think it works well for me!
  • mspoopoo
    mspoopoo Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Exercise goals. Do something for 30 minutes every day well except if I'm sick.

I am doing a weight training program and running for my aerobic activity.

I used to be an amateur bodybuilder back in the day so a 4 day upper/lower split works nicely for an advanced beginner/intermediate level plan. Form is important. I would get at least a few personal trainer sessions with someone qualified to know what proper form is.

I am just hoping that my joints will stop aching one day.