Rowing - Introduce Yourself...

Options

Replies

• m1311
    m1311 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Welcome to even more of you...heh, heh...looks like we're going to have a Team come this holiday...

If you're working out at a club, start being a squeaky wheel for upkeep on the Concept2 machines. (sorry) If they're creaky at all, the chain needs oiling. If they don't pull from the catch (when your hands are nearest the wheel), the bungy needs adjusting. If they don't roll well, the seat rollers may need adjusting. It might even take downloading the instructions from the Concept 2 site on maintenance and taking them in. At one club that I now visit every time I see my parents, I take my own oil, because they've never oiled the poor machine, smuggling it in and out because I'm sure that would be frowned upon. These machines are expensive, and they can work so smoothly...or so horribly. I'm sure that the state of many club machines has turned off potential rowers.

Definitely do what Howard said: work at level 3, or at most level 4. (Lots of times I get into a hotel rower or a club and find the machine set at 9 or 10, a rating that can really hurt your back if you don't know what you're doing...one group does it for weight-lifting purposes.) Level three or even two is what you might feel in a sweep boat at speed. It's when you start getting your stroke rate up to 30 or 33 that you'll realize it's all legs and is just as good a workout as the higher numbers. The only reason to put it higher is if you need to for resistance. On club machines, I find that sometimes I have to move the lever to five or even six to get the feeling of pulling.

One more thing: do "hard" days every other, like you would with weights or on a heart-monitor program. That will keep the burnout problem from happening. And I have to remember every time I get into a boat: "hang" on the handle. You want to feel your lats as though you're hanging on the monkey bars as you push with your legs. Only when your legs are just about flat do you start your swing. It feels so good!

Enjoy this! It's such great exercise, whether on a machine or on the water. Find a way to try it on the water if you haven't. You will think you're in heaven, at least momentarily, followed by the wonderment that a group of people are willing to work so hard together.
  • mtcastillo86
    mtcastillo86 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    What an awesome post, m1311!

(If someone thinks this should go to a different thread, please speak up. In the meantime, I'm continuing it here.)

I am lucky enough to go to a club where the equipment is kept up very well. That said, you mentioned that if you don't feel the handle pull from the catch, then the bungy may need adjusting. I sometimes feel this during my row, but think it may be due to poor technique. I catch myself bending at the knees during the release/recovery before I have my arms straight, which I know is wrong.

I have followed Howard's advice and have been working at level 3, which is perfect for a solid 30 minute workout. I can't even imagine a stroke rate of 30, though! OMG! I seem to fall into a comfortable rhythm around 22 or 24, but I can't maintain it the whole time. Still have to concentrate on form and building up my fitness level. (But yes, I always find the machine on level 10.)

Hang on the handle, that's exactly how I have thought of it. I love the video at the Concept2 website. I will look at it again today, just to check myself.

If I can get decent at this, then I can see myself getting in a boat, which is saying something, since I'm a total landlubber. The Houston Rowing Club isn't far from my house....
  • tallmansix
    Options
    Hi, just introducing myself to the rowing group.

I took up rowing on October 2012 as part of some medical advice. It was important for me to reduce joint wear and impact due to a genetic condition.

Cycling was my first passion but I just didn't get the upper body and core workout from it, so I naturally progressed to the rower. This is where I felt like I excelled. Spurred on by my advantageous height of 1.98m / 6ft6 and strong cycling legs, I found myself doing great times with ease.

I've used the rower weekly for about 11 months, just generally improving my technique and shaving small amounts off my time. However in the last month, I have stepped up my health drive, quit smoking and been careful with my diet.

I've had some incredible results and set two personal bests in the last week.

I'm a big guy so I work with a long stroke at 24 s/m typically and bursting at 27 s/m. I can do 5km in 19min 29secs and currently am concentrating on the 5k distance.

Joining this group to look for tips and advice to get better with my technique.
  • lucan07
    lucan07 Posts: 509
    Options
    Hi just introduce myself, the name is Louis 54 years started 2013 recovering from serious illness and a few major abdominal surgeries, weighing in at 308lbs after a few years inactive and on high dose steroids. Lost approx 40lbs by diet alone and decided the drugs and meds were holding me back so finally got consultant to allow me to stop all meds and try my own fitness regime in early August 2013

Stopped all meds in early August and purchased an unused Reebok I Rower 2.1 on 12 August for £65, I had used a Concept 2 before my illness and would have preferred this but at the moment the price prohibits. I find the I Rower well built and for the price I paid worth every penny, August 12 I did my first 2k in 11m 20s which was I considered poor but with major abdominal muscle damage and loss following surgery and weight still at 249lbs I realised how unfit I really was.

Since 12 August 2013 I have covered 364k on the rower, and got my 2k down to 7m 42s, I have also purchased a Cross trainer, Exercise bike and Cycle and covered over 1060k in total, my current weight 222lb.

The rower is by far the best exercise I have found to help me build core and back strength without further damage to two surgical hernias I could place my fist into, these are improving steadily.

Enough waffle from me and hi to all in the group!
  • Howard_99503
    Options
    Wow Louis, you've really been doing well with the weight loss.

Oh, and welcome to the rowing group.
  • skcardiog
    skcardiog Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Greeting s all - Water Rower here, bought mine nine months ago, just passed 1,225,000 metres rowed, shooting for 1.5 million this year. I am addicted to my rower with a best 500 m time of 1:26:60 .

Started out as a cyclist, but find I am spending more and more time on the rower.

Next goal, learn how to swim, so I can experience rowing with the local rowing club.
  • lucan07
    Options
    Welcome just joined myself but it seems a little quiet around here!

Good luck with the swimming and the 1.5 million, sounds like you'll have no problem.
  • emmaglamglam
    emmaglamglam Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi I am learning to row at my local rowing club in the UK, just completed week five having been out in a quad each week, just leaning to feather. However it is obvious I need to lose some weight mainly so I can simply fit into a smaller boat !

It is also apparent that my core is not what it used to be, so I am trying to drop the pounds and improve my strength, any help or support anyone feels like giving would be appreciated :)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I should have stopped by here first and said howdy!

I'm primarily a runner and cyclist but took up rowing a couple of years back as a cross training activity and love it. I try to get 2 or 3 rows in each week. My longest row to date is a half-marathon distance (I wish I could run one in under 2 hrs!) and I'm contemplating a full marathon distance (probably in the New Year.
  • kwaz29
    kwaz29 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I just joined this group, wanted to say hi! I rowed for four years on the Binghamton University club crew team, and it was so awesome! I just graduated so no more rowing on the team for me :( But I just started doing Crossfit and we use the ergs sometimes so thats nice, and I'll probably be joining a local club in the spring!

Feel free to add me as a friend!
  • BlackLabLover
    BlackLabLover Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I'm in!
  • BlackLabLover
    BlackLabLover Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I am so excited...I found my groove again! It seems I have been rowing too fast (spm) and not getting anywhere. Today I got my rhythm back at 23spm with a 1:2 work:rest ratio. I am not fast in terms of pace, but I can go for a long time. I am doing heart rate training which takes into account intensity based on percentage of Max Heart Rate (using resting and max heart rate) and pace - and how they tie together at the different heart rate levels. I love it. I am just under 5' so I don't have a lot to work except determination and endurance. I find that rowing to a movie or TV just gets in the way of my focus. Sometimes, rowing feels like I am dancing in how I have to keeping tempo and rhythm - love it!
  • chelso0o
    chelso0o Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I row for Three Rivers Rowing Association in Pgh on the women's masters team. I just started rowing in May after an injury sidelined me from running. I really love this sport!!
  • mrspeterson
    mrspeterson Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Welcome chelso0o! There are a number of onwater rowers here, and even more of us who do most of rowing indoors. Some of us are in the home stretch of the Virtual Team Challenge on the Concept 2 website. It may be quiet for the couple days while we get the last of our meters in, and then recover, but it's a pretty friendly community here.
  • chelso0o
    chelso0o Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Sweet! We are doing the challenge too! Headed to the boathouse in the AM to squeak out those last few thousand meters so we can get over 1 million meters as a group! What are some teams you guys belong to?
  • mrspeterson
    mrspeterson Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    We are the MFP Friends, and we had some monster rowers this time. For our grouping, it looks like we ended in second place, right behind a team that includes members of the US men's lightweight quad. I'm happy to say I reached my goal of 100K. I'm going to shoot to do that again next month too, what the hell.
  • fitandfortyish
    fitandfortyish Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! Not new to rowing, bought a concept II almost 1 year ago--been lurking on MFP for a bit longer, however mostly avoided to forums as I never have much to say :-S

About me...So far I'm maintaining my fitness level and goal weight. Things are definitely getting harder as I close in on 50 however. I 'erg' approximately 30,000m per week (two 10,000m) and two or three HIIT sessions at 500m intervals. I occasionally attempt the pre-programmed 1:40/0.20 interval but holy crap! It sucks....

Hoping to add cycling to my routine when we finally thaw out here in Alberta as well.

I use MFP to track my weekly calories and carb intake --ultimately I'd love to be rid of my ghastly "mommy-tummy" soooo... hopefully I can achieve that little goal.

Anyone using the concept II thinking about taking on the March madness challenge?
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

Hoping to add cycling to my routine when we finally thaw out here in Alberta as well.

Anyone using the concept II thinking about taking on the March madness challenge?

Welcome to the group! If you're desperate to ride in the winter (but not crazy enough to do it in the snow.....) consider picking up a trainer (Cycleops, Kurt Kinetic etc) - great way to keep the bike fitness up.

I did the March Madness (Mud Season Madness) challenge last year & plan on doing it again.
  • fitandfortyish
    fitandfortyish Posts: 194 Member
    Options

Welcome to the group! If you're desperate to ride in the winter (but not crazy enough to do it in the snow.....) consider picking up a trainer (Cycleops, Kurt Kinetic etc) - great way to keep the bike fitness up.

I did the March Madness (Mud Season Madness) challenge last year & plan on doing it again.

Thank you for the bike tip-- I have eyebaled the trainers but can't figure out where to put everything! Gah, kids hockey gear, my rower, even some furniture here and there ;-) ... really, I should move to a larger home :-D

May I take this opportunity to applaud your beautiful province for developing some of the most talented (and good lookimg--am I alone in noticing the Canadian athletes are all very good looking??) Olympic athletes this country has ever seen?? Thank you...

Mud Season....that's right!! Forgot what it was called. I'm going to take a shot at the 5000m for 25 days....see how I do. May email you mid-month when I can't motivate myself anymore!
  • lucan07
    Options
    In for the Mud Season Madness also, if the team enters the World Erg Challenge 15 March to 15 April we can count the second half of March Mud metres twice, once for each event!