Pace for the Vertically Challenged?

Options
hteepeg
hteepeg Posts: 64 Member
Hi All,

I've been lurking for a while and finally am coming out of hiding to ask a question. I am doing the ZenLabs C25K with my iPhone and a treadmill. I just finished W6D2. I have tried C25K before but never gotten this far, so I do feel a bit of accomplishment. I have lost over 60 lbs and completed two 60-mile walks for Susan G. Komen (approx 20 miles per day). My friends consider I am fit, but I don't believe it.

My problem = I feel like I am tremendously slow.

I am 4'10" and carrying 20-25 of extra weight. I walk at 2.8 and jog at 3.4. At 3.4, I can carry a very breathy conversation. At 3.5-3.6, I get shin pain, knee pain, red faced, and winded. I hear of others doing at least a 15-minute pace by now.

Am I being too hard on myself? Perhaps leftover negative self-talk from the woman I was before? Or am I a galloping turtle?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Lurker Turned Poster - Heather

Replies

• PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're running at about the right pace. If 3.4 leaves you too breathy, slow down to 3.3 or 3.2. Speed will come in its own time. As a comparison, when I first completed C25K I ran a 10 minute kilometer (approx. 16 minute mile). I was slower throughout the early parts of the program.

You are doing great. Keep up the good work. If you're feeling able to, perhaps increase the speed to 3.5 or 3.6 for 1 minute only and do that every second running period throughout the session. If you get pain, stop doing this. If not, it may slowly build up your speed.

Take it from me (someone who's still a bit of a turtle), the speed does come. For now, build up your stamina.

Welcome to the world of running. It keeps getting better as you get stronger and more confident.
  • hteepeg
    Options
    Thanks so much! I hadn't thought of increasing speed for a portion of the run. I have a tendency to be "all or nothing".
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    I'm trying it myself. I run on the treadmill over the winter and have the TV on to try to distract me from watching the timer on the treadmill. I'm running faster during commercial breaks and my regular speed during the show.
  • two_octopodes
    two_octopodes Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    There will be plenty of time to work on speed in the future. The point of C25K is to simply build up the endurance to run a 5K without stopping; there are no speed goals at this point. My tentative plan, once I finish C25K, is to switch to an app called "5K Forever," which is supposed to help increase your pace.

Stop being so hard on yourself, you're RUNNING. How freaking cool is that?!
  • MamaDubbs65
    MamaDubbs65 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this. I'm a slow runner too. I think you're doing great!!
  • hteepeg
    Options
    I AM running! That's pretty amazing. I've got the bug pretty bad. I've read a couple of books about running on my Kindle, subscribe to Women's Running, found a running track next to my house just in case the gym is packed for the next couple of weeks, and am starting to look at 5Ks for this year. Did you know there is a Hot Chocolate 5k/15k?

I didn't start to get excited about it until I actually ran for 20 minutes straight. Does this mean that I'm hooked?

I will check out some of the apps that you suggested to help with my pace once I finish this program. I'm actually gonna finish it!

Thanks,
    Heather
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    One of the biggest speed boosts for new runners is time on your feet. I have just now had to bring in speed work, almost a year since starting C25K, because time on your feet will help speed you up. Most coaches don't even introduce speed work into running programs until the runners are 20+ miles per week (that seems like a lot now, but it actually isn't lol). I went from a 36+ finish time in March, to my current PR of 31:51 all from increasing distance and miles per week.

Right now, do not worry about speed.
  • daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'0" and I'm pretty slow too. It takes me 45 min to run 5K but that is okay with me :) I typically run a 15 min mile on the treadmill and a 13.30 mile outside. As much as I'd like to be faster at this point I am just really proud that I can call myself a runner.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you're doing awesome. You'll see shorter/heavier people who are faster than you at races, but you need to run at your own pace and it sounds like you have that down. It takes about a year for your body to completely adjust to the demands of running. During that time, you will steadily become faster without even really trying.

I'm really happy that you are enjoying running. It has been a great gift and a challenge that never stops being fun.
  • hteepeg
    Options
    I don't know what is different this time than any other time I started the program, but I am glad I have changed. I am truly enjoying the journey.