MFP might have caused my BED

Options
Kimblesnbits
Kimblesnbits Posts: 321 Member
I thinking this website is truly helpful although for me, it's caused the all of nothing mentality. Therefore being perfectly on my diet then having one thing off plan or "junk" then giving up and binging. I'm going to try my hardest to not look up calories or log or else that will trigger binging or restricting. Does anyone else feel this way or is it just me?

Replies

• tcols25
    Options
    I feel the same way and can't decide whether or not I should stick to logging (as it causes restricting) or stop logging and focus on health? Either way the bingeing needs to stop it's causing so much weight gain :(
  • imtriagain
    imtriagain Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit the same. I am going to try to not track calories for awhile. This is how I used to eat before discovering MFP but after tracking religiously most days for about 2 years I think a break will do me good. The constant 'going over my calories' because I binge, then restricting is doing me no good. I am so familiar with calorie counting that I think I can still guesstimate in my head, but at least if iim not trying to get under a certain number I might be better able to eat more consistently on a regular bais. At the same time I'm also introducing regular snacks and not limiting myself to small calorie snacks. If I were to track what I'm eating now I know I would freak out and reduce calories of my snacks and meals.
  • melmckay99
    Options
    I'm pretty sure of two things: I never would have lost weight without MFP, and I never would have developed BED without MFP. It's not just about the food anymore. I have anxiety, OCD, feelings of depression, i'm unsocial and extremely irratable. All I ever want to do is be alone so that I can just do whatever I want without judgement.

On the other hand, I am aware that my behaviour and actions are not normal. I want to change what I have become and I'm afraid I can't do this alone.
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I did go through a phase last year when I was so obsessed with counting calories, which led to binging, and restricting, then binging even more, and felt so hopeless in a downward spiral. Back then I sort of stopped counting/logging for a bit, but not seeing the numbers was driving me nuts so I started logging again. It made me not want to go out and socialize with people, and I got irritated by little things easily.

I think it's a vicious cycle. The processed carbs that I was binging on was making me depressed, irritable, bloated, which made me binge even more. Now recently I have started eating more real food, and doing LCHF, and my mood has improved, which helps with the anxiety/lonely binging.
  • mamahannick
    mamahannick Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I feel like MFP has encouraged binges for me as well. Some days if I see I have extra calories left it's like a green light to inhale half the kitchen before I even know what I'm doing, even if I'm not the slightest bit hungry. I'm the same if I have something unplanned that throws off my day. Bam, binge.

I think everyone could use a break from counting from time to time.
  • lastchancedance89
    lastchancedance89 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Damn. This really sucks that the website is having this affect on you guys. I just started daily log ins and tracking my diet but if I'm slightly under for the day then that's how it goes. If I'm 200-300 cals over I don't really sweat it because I don't input my exercise so I figure I burn it off anyway. Plus I'm still losing weight. I hope you all find a way to make this work in a way that is not harmful to you. Good luck!
  • OliviaMG1
    OliviaMG1 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    It is so ironic that I just saw this post. I have been thinking about this a lot lately. It seems like the more I take to planning, counting, & logging, the more anxiety & OCD I have. Do I want to stop? No, because my binges & weight would be a zillion times worse without mfp. However, I will say, I haven't lost & maintained any amount of weight since joining mfp. I originally lost about 30 lbs. on WW, thought I had a "handle" on things, & switched over to mfp. I lost about 5 more lbs, & have since put on almost 15. I take full responsibility for all of it, but not sure where to go from here.
  • fourdamagedlemons
    Options
    i think that in overeaters anonymous, they suggest weighing food and calorie counting. I know, from personal experience, that kind of obsessive behavior only sets me up for failure. I was weighing food and using fitday.com for a while. It made my binging worse. It's that black and white thinking. All good or all bad. Doesn't work! I'm trying to practice intuitive eating. Forget the diet, and try to get your BED under control before you consider trying to lose weight. Good luck!
  • MSWDiet
    MSWDiet Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I THINK WE ALL HAVE TRIGGERS AND FOR SOME FOOD TRACKING BECOMES OBSESSIVE AND LEADS TO OTHER COMPULSIVE BEHAVIORS LIKE BE. ITS THE OBSESSIVE COMPULSIVE WITHIN US. IF NOT BE THEN IT MAY WELL BE SOMETHING ELSE.

FOR OTHERS ITS TRACKING THAT PREVENTS BINGE EATING. WHEN I AM METICULOUS ABOUT TRACKING CALORIES I BINGE LESS. WHEN I ADD FOODS TO THE TRACKER BEFORE EATING THEM I MAKE BETTER CHOICES. WHEN I LOOK AT WHAT I ATE AFTER A SLIP AND SEE THE RESULT, I HAVE THE BEST CHANCE OF MANAGING THE URGE TO BINGE.

IN EXAMINING MY BEHAVIORS AND EXPERIENCES I'VE REALIZED THAT MY FOOD/ WEIGHT OBSESSION WAS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR MY BE. THIS IS NOT TO ARGUE YOUR ASSERTION ABOUT THE CAUSES OF YOUR BE. WHILE THE TIMING FIT, I NOTED OTHER THINGS THAT SEEMED UNCHANGED BUT IMPACTED MY BE.

TIMING WAS COINCIDENCE. IT TOOK YEARS TO FIGURE OUT AND I'M STILL WORKING AT IT. KEEP ANALYZING YOURSELF AND EVENTUALLY YOU WILL FIND WHAT IS AT THE CORE OF YOUR BE. IN THE MEAN TIME I SAY IF IT HURTS WHEN YOU DO THAT THEN DON'T DO IT. IF TRACKING YOUR FOOD RESULTS IN BINGE EATING THEN FIND A DIFFERENT WAY TO MANAGE YOUR DIET AND EXERCISE.

REALLY, NO YELLING: I HAVE TO TYPE LOUD CAUSE I'M HARD OF SEEING
  • eso2012
    eso2012 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Such a timely topic - I just realized the same thing and have posted a similar topic.

Interesting to see that many of you also have depression, OCD. BE is part and parcel of it, I know since I have been diagnosed with depression since late 90s and am on long term medication. OCD, yes! BE, yes! (Note: I am the most active, positive and social depressive person though - never suicidal! It is a biochemical imbalance that needs to be regulated by Rx and managed stragetically.)

I would never have lost weight had I not tracked religiously on MFP for 2 years. My main problem was (1) portion control (2) no exercise. Since then I have enjoyed a brand new me. Or so I thought when BE returned here and there.

Lately, the frequency and length of relapses is heading in the bad direction. Hence I want to ease up on the tracking (which obviously has not helped as I STILL binge even when I shoot over the cal count) and focus more on enjoying food (slowly), enjoying workout. etc.

Sorry for the rambling. It is so good to see others sharing the same thought, not just BE but OCD, depression and all related issues. We are not alone :)