Daily Dose of Encouragement

Options

Replies

• MaryMBacon
    MaryMBacon Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Read a Great article today in the New England Jounal of Medicine on What works and What doesn't so I'm working on a blog post on that topic.
    What does work that we knew about ~ Eating breakfast and eating more fruits and veggies
    What does NOT work ~ and this surprized me ~ setting "reasonable" goals. It kind of makes sense when you study coaching and read the article, kind of an OMG moment but if you set the goal to lose 10lbs you will lose 10lbs so if you really need/want to lose 70lbs set the goal for 70lbs, you will lose the 70lbs faster and with a higher chance of ultimate success if you make that your goal.

so as a coach I advise you to set your REAL goal even if it's BIG but agree to celebrate success at the smaller intervals.
    So for example MY own goal is to lose another 70 lbs
    I will treat myself to a Massage when I've lost 15 lbs
    I will treat myself to a new pair of pants every 10lbs (they start falling off and looking lousy much faster than tops do)
    I will treat myself to a clothes shopping trip in 30 lbs
  • MaryMBacon
    Options
    wow Plateaus suck!! All I can say they SUCK!!
    I keep saying in my head "what would you tell a client?" and I'd say if you're eating healthy and exercising be patient, The truth is I've been eating healthy and exercising and for some strange reason not losing and despite all the weight lifting the body fat percent stays the same. I regret not takin measurements at the start because I keep getting complimented on my weight loss (smile and nod) and just wondering how on earth I can look smaller yet weigh the same and have the same percent body fat. My legs DO look smaller to me when I'm at the gym on that leg press machine.
    Then 3 days ago I got my fitbit. I'm a nurse practitioner in a doctors office, so I am up and down the halls all day long. I chose "lightly active" because I stand a lot like a teacher. ~ WRONG.
    I was somewhat surprized to see how little activity I logged the first day, sadly my fitbit doesn't sync with the phone so I had to disable negative calorie adjustments.
    the way this neat little device works with MFP is that at the end of the day if your activity is more than you said you get extra calories, in fact it actually updates whenever you sync (you lucky iphone users)
    So I reset myself down to sedentary and on day 2 walked at lunch and that day earned 37 calories from "fitbit adjustment" What that means is that on every workday I had been eating 250 calories too many because I thought I was lightly active when in fact I am not. 37 calories over "sedentary" for walking 20-30 minutes up a rather steep hill, I am truly sedentary the rest of the day.
    The great thing about this is, it actually won't let you "double dip" so when I came home from the gym this morning I had 137 extra calories from fitbit, they vanished when I entered the spin class, so I got credit for the workout, but I won't get double credit.
    the other change I made is to leave out the food scale so I am more accurately tracking.
    There is always a reason for the plateau, we just have to keep searching, Rest assured it's not genetic, it's not a curse, and we call CAN do it.
  • MaryMBacon
    Options
    Yo yo dieting actually WON'T kill you ~ researchers found that's actually a myth. However, it is a bummer going up and down, so forgive yourself for the past, and know that it's always safe to try again.
  • BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,424 Member
    Options
    Read a Great article today in the New England Jounal of Medicine on What works and What doesn't so I'm working on a blog post on that topic.
    What does work that we knew about ~ Eating breakfast and eating more fruits and veggies
    What does NOT work ~ and this surprized me ~ setting "reasonable" goals. It kind of makes sense when you study coaching and read the article, kind of an OMG moment but if you set the goal to lose 10lbs you will lose 10lbs so if you really need/want to lose 70lbs set the goal for 70lbs, you will lose the 70lbs faster and with a higher chance of ultimate success if you make that your goal.

Can you send us the link? Or at least the citation (author / title / which NEJM issue) so that we can look it up in Google Scholar? I'd be very interested in reading the whole thing.
  • MaryMBacon
    Options

Can you send us the link? Or at least the citation (author / title / which NEJM issue) so that we can look it up in Google Scholar? I'd be very interested in reading the whole thing.

My summary is at http://coachmarybacon.com/blog.html
    The full article is http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMsa1208051#t=articleDiscussion
    Enjoy :) IT's a summary of A lot of original research ~ very thorough and a huge eye opener when you consider how we've been taught to be reasonable. My theme for the new year is to stop being reasonable and start being REAL!
  • MaryMBacon
    Options
    Remember you're doing great, checking into MFP daily, tracking what you eat through the holidays is hard work. You are ahead of the curve. If results aren't where you want them, just ask for help. Just by being here and tracking your food and moving a LITTLE BIT more than you "have to" you're doing awesome. Don't wait 10 more days, get back on track now. You can do it, you are worth it.
  • MaryMBacon
    Options
    Christmas is over and what are we doing with the leftovers. There are lots of great and healthy things to do with ham or turkey, but you know what I mean, the cookies, the candies. Why not just, clean them out. You can pack them up and give them away, freeze them in small packages, or even ***gasp*** just toss them. Cookies are not nutrition, they are not fuel, they will either go to waste or go to waist ~ your choice.
    Having said that I am one that it pains me to throw food away, which Is why it helps to remind myself food is essential fuel and nutrients, cookies are a treat, cookies to my taste buds are like music to my ears, or a beautiful sunset to my eyes or a massage to my skin. cookies give me sensory pleasure but not fuel.
    whatever you do, do not restart your "diet" on 1/1 and finish all the junk in a rush before then.
    coming soon.... I'm doing a lot of writing on unconscious eating habits, great info ~ will post more soon.
  • MaryMBacon
    Options
    So how have you all been. OK it's back to work lol January is here and it's time to get back that nose-to-the-grind motivation. Forgive yourself for the holiday indiscretions and start fresh again now.
    Try adopting just ONE healthy habit per month. it takes roughly 21 days to create a new habit. Pick one thing you could do better and focus on that.
    January's habit for me and my Balanced Bliss followers is eating without distractions. Distracted eating results in "eating amnesia" and recent studies showed that people distracted 1) ate more 2) remembered eating less 3) didn't enjoy the food as much and 4) got hungry faster.
    This holds true for watching television, using a computer, driving and having an argument, however fortunately pleasant conversation is not a problem.
    Create a space for eating, put out nice table linens and keep this space the cleanest and most clutter free possible. IF you work or pay taxes or anything at the table ~ clear out the "Evidence" before meal time ~ such as with a portable file folder holder.

For more information and links to the studies you can visit my blog at www.coachmarybacon.com and the book "Intuitive Eating"
    I will hopefully get a chance later today to import that blog article to MFP.
    Have a great month!
  • MaryMBacon
    Options
    wow, you can lose weight 2x faster just by tracking your intake ~ congratulations you're already here, now just stick with it!
  • Moonwillow1010
    Moonwillow1010 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Good morning and Happy Monday. My name is Jill and I want to be a part of the real people group! Thank you for the topics you have posted so far.

I've been a yo-yo dieter for too many years and honestly I've hidden behind all this fat too! I've been looking for comfort and acceptance in food rather than looking within myself. I'm afraid to face this but I know I need to. I've had a lot of positive things in my life happen yet I don't see myself as worthy of them so I self-destruct. I don't want to lose the positive. I want to make changes. I would love to have a Daily Dose of Encouragement.

I know that was heavy, but putting it out there is the firs step right? If I this is the wrong forum for this please let me know...otherwise I look forward to meeting new friends.

:smile:
  • MaryMBacon
    Options
    Good morning and Happy Monday. My name is Jill and I want to be a part of the real people group! Thank you for the topics you have posted so far.

I've been a yo-yo dieter for too many years and honestly I've hidden behind all this fat too! I've been looking for comfort and acceptance in food rather than looking within myself. I'm afraid to face this but I know I need to. I've had a lot of positive things in my life happen yet I don't see myself as worthy of them so I self-destruct. I don't want to lose the positive. I want to make changes. I would love to have a Daily Dose of Encouragement.

I know that was heavy, but putting it out there is the firs step right? If I this is the wrong forum for this please let me know...otherwise I look forward to meeting new friends.

:smile:

Real people have ups and downs ~ no negativity police here :) Welcome to the group.
    I am a weight loss coach and I take your challenges and research to help find solutions so please do feel free to share and I will find a creative solution that works.
  • BMcC9
    Options
    Christmas is over and what are we doing with the leftovers. There are lots of great and healthy things to do with ham or turkey, but you know what I mean, the cookies, the candies. Why not just, clean them out. You can pack them up and give them away, freeze them in small packages, or even ***gasp*** just toss them. Cookies are not nutrition, they are not fuel, they will either go to waste or go to waist ~ your choice.
    Having said that I am one that it pains me to throw food away, which Is why it helps to remind myself food is essential fuel and nutrients, cookies are a treat, cookies to my taste buds are like music to my ears, or a beautiful sunset to my eyes or a massage to my skin. cookies give me sensory pleasure but not fuel.
    whatever you do, do not restart your "diet" on 1/1 and finish all the junk in a rush before then.
    coming soon.... I'm doing a lot of writing on unconscious eating habits, great info ~ will post more soon.

I made some great turkey soup. I also (horror of horrors!) THREW AWAY the last Rogers Chocolate (vanila flavour, which my husband doesn't like, so would not share - and I didn't want the hit for the whole thing myself).

Boxing Day, we gave the unopened boxes of chocolate coated goodies to my son for his Dec 28 party (they all got taken care of) and threw away not-so-great store bought cookies that had been given to us.

I am also exploring smoothies. If anyone has fave recipies or sites for smoothies, please post them. I am using "The Smoothie Bible" at the moment. The Cuc / Zucc one is highly recommended.
  • BMcC9
    Options

My summary is at http://coachmarybacon.com/blog.html
    The full article is http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMsa1208051#t=articleDiscussion
    Enjoy :) IT's a summary of A lot of original research ~ very thorough and a huge eye opener when you consider how we've been taught to be reasonable. My theme for the new year is to stop being reasonable and start being REAL!

Thanks for the citations - both your summary and the actual article. I will be looking at it more closely later.

My current "unreasonable goal" is to be down 20 pounds / 10 kgs by March 31 aka in 12 weeks. (the first quarter of my year-long challenge group) That is more than the usual "aim for 1 lb per week". I am working on both better food and more movement that has been the norm for the past 12+ months as my way to get there. At the end of March - I see where I am in relation to my ultimate weight target - and set the next "unreasonable" goal.
  • Azurite27
    Azurite27 Posts: 554 Member
    Options

January's habit for me and my Balanced Bliss followers is eating without distractions. Distracted eating results in "eating amnesia" and recent studies showed that people distracted 1) ate more 2) remembered eating less 3) didn't enjoy the food as much and 4) got hungry faster.
    This holds true for watching television, using a computer, driving and having an argument, however fortunately pleasant conversation is not a problem.

I actually find the opposite to be true. If I sit down just to eat I tend to eat faster, be hungrier when I'm done, and if in a room with easy access to more food I will binge if there is nothing to distract me. It really depends on what causes you to overeat. Everyone needs to analyze their own triggers to avoid them. For me, I eat out of boredom or stress and I'm hungry all the time no matter how I eat. So it's a necessity for me to portion out my meals before I sit down to eat and it's better to sit down to eat where my mind will be focused on something else. I end up eating a lot slower and therefore not feeling as hungry and I can wait longer to eat again. Although I definitely agree that sitting down to "distracted" eating with an unportioned bag or box is a recipe for disaster.

It's just a good point to learn that different techniques work for different people.
  • BMcC9
    Options
    Just finished 53 minutes / 1.9 miles / (248 cals according to the machine) on my elliptical.

While on it, I watched a youtube video called "Zumba - Funeral For My Fat" to see if it was combinations I could handle (considering I have ever only had ONE instructed Zumba class ever). I could definitely follow the breakdown of everything (given my past belly dance life :bigsmile: ) but the intensity over time would certainly be a challenge to get through. :noway: I will have to try this one for real - for SURE. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

I would be interested to hear what someone who does instructor-led Zumba classes thinks of it ... and maybe if any of you do p90x / TurboCharge type workouts could watch it some time, and let me know how you think it would stack up against an early cardio day in that type of program. (I have only ever seen infomercials for that kind of program - never an actual session). If you happened to have a home stationary bike / treadmill / elliptical etc, you could do your normal cardio session while you watched :wink:

I REALLY liked her saying at the end ... "I wear black when I work out because it is a funeral for my fat"
  • Azurite27
    Options
    I keep saying in my head "what would you tell a client?" and I'd say if you're eating healthy and exercising be patient, The truth is I've been eating healthy and exercising and for some strange reason not losing and despite all the weight lifting the body fat percent stays the same. I regret not takin measurements at the start because I keep getting complimented on my weight loss (smile and nod) and just wondering how on earth I can look smaller yet weigh the same and have the same percent body fat. My legs DO look smaller to me when I'm at the gym on that leg press machine.
    Then 3 days ago I got my fitbit. I'm a nurse practitioner in a doctors office, so I am up and down the halls all day long. I chose "lightly active" because I stand a lot like a teacher. ~ WRONG.
    I was somewhat surprized to see how little activity I logged the first day, sadly my fitbit doesn't sync with the phone so I had to disable negative calorie adjustments.
    the way this neat little device works with MFP is that at the end of the day if your activity is more than you said you get extra calories, in fact it actually updates whenever you sync (you lucky iphone users)
    So I reset myself down to sedentary and on day 2 walked at lunch and that day earned 37 calories from "fitbit adjustment" What that means is that on every workday I had been eating 250 calories too many because I thought I was lightly active when in fact I am not. 37 calories over "sedentary" for walking 20-30 minutes up a rather steep hill, I am truly sedentary the rest of the day.
    The great thing about this is, it actually won't let you "double dip" so when I came home from the gym this morning I had 137 extra calories from fitbit, they vanished when I entered the spin class, so I got credit for the workout, but I won't get double credit.
    the other change I made is to leave out the food scale so I am more accurately tracking.
    There is always a reason for the plateau, we just have to keep searching, Rest assured it's not genetic, it's not a curse, and we call CAN do it.

Maybe you can answer a question about the fitbit for me. I have an HRM but a fitbit would be easier for everyday use. How well does it work for cardio where your arms are stationary? Most of my exercise is on machine where I hang on so my arms don't move much.
  • MaryMBacon
    Options

Maybe you can answer a question about the fitbit for me. I have an HRM but a fitbit would be easier for everyday use. How well does it work for cardio where your arms are stationary? Most of my exercise is on machine where I hang on so my arms don't move much.

I use both, I have a polar HRM and I use that to track calories burned at the gym, I take spinning and if the FITBIT does not move, it records nothing. So I get no "credit" for spinning unless I manually enter it.
    However the fitbit told me "hey you sit too much at work, lightly active -- HA -- NO way you're sedentary" Ok well that's what I heard not what it said, I started out with neg calories enabled and was losing 200-300 calories on a workday, I have a rather sedentary job although not a DESK job, it's NH so it's 16 below with windchill right now and a lunchtime walk is not an option. I set my MFP setting to sedentary instead of lightly active and beat my plateau. I get more calories on days off or when I go shopping and move more IE if I am lightly or moderately active on a given day it adjusts me UP instead of having MFP just guess.
    When I see neg calorie adjustments I walk until it's at least 0 I have a goal even on freezing cold days I run up and down the stairs until I at least have 1 fitbit calorie. I refuse to ever be less than sedentary unless I'm very sick.
    Going to the gym 4x a week and sitting the rest of the time doesn't work. Since I write and blog and research a lot on days off this was a problem. by cutting calories and taking more short movement breaks it's helped not only my weight but also my focus.
  • MaryMBacon
    Options

I actually find the opposite to be true. If I sit down just to eat I tend to eat faster, be hungrier when I'm done, and if in a room with easy access to more food I will binge if there is nothing to distract me. It really depends on what causes you to overeat. Everyone needs to analyze their own triggers to avoid them. For me, I eat out of boredom or stress and I'm hungry all the time no matter how I eat. So it's a necessity for me to portion out my meals before I sit down to eat and it's better to sit down to eat where my mind will be focused on something else. I end up eating a lot slower and therefore not feeling as hungry and I can wait longer to eat again. Although I definitely agree that sitting down to "distracted" eating with an unportioned bag or box is a recipe for disaster.

It's just a good point to learn that different techniques work for different people.

I certainly wouldn't advise changing what works for you. If you are losing weight without feeling hungry or deprived then keep up what works and what makes you happy. Rules cause us to want to rebel, choices empower us.
    As a general rule, for those who find distracted eating is a problem, distracted eating leads to getting hungry sooner and researchers found people ate 40-100% more at the next meal or snack after the distracted one. In addition to people eating more while actively distracted.
    I used to have the same issue, eating too fast so I could get up from the table and do something else.
    I advise slowing down setting a timer for 20 min for a full dinner, and making sure at 5 min increments you are only 1/4 through. Pause, savor each bite, try using chopsticks or eating with your nondominant hand.
    I no longer need those tricks, but in the beginning it helped. It forced me to learn some new recipes as I realized I didn't love the food I used to cook once I really focused and savored every bite. My family is happier too -- I think they were too polite to complain before.
  • Azurite27
    Options
    A

I use both, I have a polar HRM and I use that to track calories burned at the gym, I take spinning and if the FITBIT does not move, it records nothing. So I get no "credit" for spinning unless I manually enter it.
    However the fitbit told me "hey you sit too much at work, lightly active -- HA -- NO way you're sedentary" Ok well that's what I heard not what it said, I started out with neg calories enabled and was losing 200-300 calories on a workday, I have a rather sedentary job although not a DESK job, it's NH so it's 16 below with windchill right now and a lunchtime walk is not an option. I set my MFP setting to sedentary instead of lightly active and beat my plateau. I get more calories on days off or when I go shopping and move more IE if I am lightly or moderately active on a given day it adjusts me UP instead of having MFP just guess.
    When I see neg calorie adjustments I walk until it's at least 0 I have a goal even on freezing cold days I run up and down the stairs until I at least have 1 fitbit calorie. I refuse to ever be less than sedentary unless I'm very sick.
    Going to the gym 4x a week and sitting the rest of the time doesn't work. Since I write and blog and research a lot on days off this was a problem. by cutting calories and taking more short movement breaks it's helped not only my weight but also my focus.

Thanks for the fitbit info. Guess I'll stick with my Polar for now. Putting the chest strap on whenever I do cardio just gets a bit tedious sometimes. I'm well aware of how sedentary I am otherwise but my weight training that I dont log currently makes up for it a little.
  • MaryMBacon
    Options
    How is everyone? I recently published my post on stress eating http://coachmarybacon.com/1/post/2014/01/is-it-what-youre-eating-or-whats-eating-you.html
    I hope you find this helpful to understand and reduce stress eating.