Medifast mac 'n cheese tips?

Options
fishfilet
fishfilet Posts: 18 Member
So my husband bought 4 boxes of the mac 'n cheese, only to find out he can't stand the taste of them. Anyone have any suggestions to improve these so I don't waste them? I've tried letting it soak, cooking the entire box at once (MF coach's suggestion) and adding crushed red pepper. It still taste so bland...

Replies

• kellis155
    Options
    I let it soak, and add 1 tbsp of spicy salsa to it (I like Casa Sanchez Salsa Rojo). Or add some sirracha.

I really like the mac that way. (But I can also eat it plain, tho it is kind of bland.)
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    I add hot sauce or salsa and black pepper. Also you can add half your "lean", I like to add tuna or chicken.
  • lyssielou1620
    lyssielou1620 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I like to add laughing cow light white cheddar cheese and a few florets of broccoli.
    I used to not be able to stand the mac and cheese until I tried this ^.
  • Stacivogue
    Stacivogue Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I add tony chacheres cajun spice. (I order it online. It's a must have for any medifast food - also great on salmon)

Also, i add jalapenos. I have dried jalapeno from Penzey's spices (also can order online).
  • Chiyak
    Chiyak Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I add some cheddar cheese to it and baking it helps but I still have the 2 boxes I ordered in August. I suggest sending them back.
  • quiltgirl19
    Options
    I have mixed sloppy joes and the mac n cheese together and split it in half for one meal. I like it. Also works with the chili.:smile:
  • amirakabira
    amirakabira Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    a little barbeque sauce makes it taste like that childhood fave spaghetti-os
  • chunkygirl23
    chunkygirl23 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I ordered 6 boxes of them and cant seem to get them to work. I cook it according to directions and it ends up like soup. I cook it with a little less water and the noodles end up having a little bit of a crunch to them(not cooked all the way). I'm disappointed. I ordered them like a year ago and I remember them being fine. Now they suck.
  • fishfilet
    fishfilet Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your help. The laughing cow wedge and some taco seasoning does make it edible =)
  • MCLA4mom
    MCLA4mom Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I have a client who made them into tortilla chips. I will see if I can track he down and get the specifics for you
  • Lauryn2888
    Lauryn2888 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I couldn't do the Mac at first. I did this and it was pretty good. Mixed Mac with a packet of ziti. Cooked extra long with extra water. Added a tbsp of parmasean and a pinch of garlic powder and then split it into 2 meals. I thought it was pretty good. Also just mixing in veggies helps.
  • scarpettadavis
    Options
    I couldn't stand it but then I added broccoli (one of my servings) and it was way better :D
  • kmarshalljansen
    kmarshalljansen Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I soak it for 30-60 minutes before nuking it, add a light laughing cow wedge, and throw in some black pepper, tony chachere's, sriacha, or taco seasoning and I really like it that way.

Honestly, having some light 'mix-ins' is critical to my Medifast recipes. Spices for savory things, and PB2/Chocolate PB2 for sweet things make a huge difference.
  • pelswick74
    pelswick74 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I add fat free/salt free chicken broth and steamd broccolli to my mac 'n cheese. Sometimes when it's taco night at my house, I'll add a couple of tablespoons of taco meat to it. It's yummy! Good luck!

Pier :)
  • S4M4N7H4
    S4M4N7H4 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    The longer you let it set the better it taste. After cooking I let it set for 5minutes, the noodles get tender . I also add asparagus or broccoli .... The taste gets better each time I eat it :)
  • beaniebean8
    beaniebean8 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I bought the mac and cheese because i was craving "pasta" every once in a while and thought that would help my cravings. As you can see from previous comments it did not. It stinks and does not taste good at all. However, my health coach gave me some tips which helped and now I buy the boxes every month.

Make the mac and cheese as instructed on the back but added about a third of the water. you want the packet to cook with hardly any access water.
    Then i added about 1 tsp of franks red hot sauce.
    Lastly I put them on the stove to crisp them.

They were relish!!
  • xbrittneyanne
    xbrittneyanne Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I couldn't stand the Mac and Cheese, until I saw a recipe for a Mac and cheese waffle. It is SO good.

Mix Mac and Cheese packet with 1/2 cup water
    Microwave for 60 seconds
    Stir, and microwave for an additional 60 seconds
    Remove from microwave, stir, and let it sit for 5 mins
    Stir, let it sit for an additional 5 minutes
    Add 1-2 egg whites (I used egg beaters)
    Grease waffle iron
    Pour in mixture and cook for 3-5 minutes

I also added a tiny bit of salt and pepper. I crave these now. It curbs my craving for something fried/crispy.