Introduce yourself

Options
Hello and welcome!
Use this thread to introduce yourself, look for new MFP friends, and tell us your story!

I'm Bethany, from Buffalo, NY (and no we don't get THAT much snow!) and I've been using myfitnesspal for over 2 years, but recently switched to the perfect health diet (April 2013).

And just a tip for those of you that are new to MFP and using it to track your food... don't use their pre-set macros!
To change them, go to "My Home" tab above, then click goals in the sub-menu, then click "change goals" (at the bottom), then select "custom" and make the goals fit your needs.

Feel free to friend me! Just put "PHD" in the message line so I know why you did :flowerforyou:

Replies

• lsgmsu1
    lsgmsu1 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi Bethany! Thanks for starting this group. My name is Lisa and I was on Wheat Belly/very low carb for a little over a year and my weight wasn't budging. I thought that adding back some "safe starches" might help to move me along and at the very least, give me more energy. So far, I have been more or less maintaining but I have only been on this for about 1 month. I do feel like I have more energy. For now, I am putting the scale aside and concentrating on logging my food choices.
  • sirio11
    sirio11 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi, I'm David, living in Las Vegas. I have been reading a lot about nutrition in the last year, and of all that is out there, the Jaminet's are some of the ones I respect the most, and I would like to follow their PHD recommendations. Used MFP on and off, but it definitely works when I use it.
  • AccessingAwesome
    Options
    hi. my name is kevin. my wife, brittany, and i are trying to follow PHD. we currently live in elko, NV (about 8 hrs north of vegas, half-way between reno and salt lake city). glad to be part of the group!
  • mindyjo74
    mindyjo74 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Hi my name is MIndy. I live in Central Illinois and happily married with 2 boys. I have finally met my weight loss goals now trying to work on some personal fitness goals. Im very interested in this PHD. Is this a hard eating plan to follow? I work night shift so some eating plans are just not feesible. I have read somethings about this plan but just wanted some personal input.
  • nikitahatfield
    Options
    hi i am nikita living in north east of England recently started using my fitness pal and would be grateful for any help and advice on a healthy diet to change my eating habits and achieve my goal :)
  • sparkieamberjack
    Options
    Hi Im Sanna, I from the Bahamas, I am new to mu fitness pal. Bethany was so kind and so helpful she introduced me to phd, it seems like the best diet in the world.
  • Frank_Just_Frank
    Frank_Just_Frank Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Hi, my name is Francois I'm from Montreal. I enjoyed reading PHD but I have to eat at restaurants a lot and I'm very curious to hear other people's experiences following this diet while eating out.
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Hi, my name is Francois I'm from Montreal. I enjoyed reading PHD but I have to eat at restaurants a lot and I'm very curious to hear other people's experiences following this diet while eating out.

I generally try to stick with salads, or a meat & veggies if I can. I always try to get the salad dressing on the side, and use it minimally if at all. It usually has some unhealthy fats, but I don't use it often. If the salad has some cheese and a good bit of protein, sometimes I don't even need the dressing. If I get breakfast and it comes with toast, I just skip it or ask if I can get tomatoes or fruit instead.

Hi, I'm Shar, and I've been doing a PHD/Primal-ish diet since August 2011. I started out trying for Primal first, as I read about it first, but I loved when I read PHD. I refer back to it often! I probably do try to stick to a bit lower carbs than they recommend, at least until I get most of my unwanted fat off. But going off the wheat has made a tremendous impact on my health - I don't have acid reflux, eczema, IBS, etc anymore!
  • janemcd67
    janemcd67 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    This is the first group I have joined. I started using myfitnesspal with a friend to help watch my calories. I worked really hard to lose 10+ pounds by doing some sort of paleo. I couldn't believe how little I had to eat (something like 1000 calories per day) to get any results. Fasting helped.
    I am not sure where I heard about PHD. Maybe after reading something by Ray Peat and then linking to the Jaminet book link. I like the idea of eating like a Pacific Islander in WAPF fashion, and the idea of eating rice and potatoes is so foreign to me after not touching it for 15 years.
    Last night I ate a big serving of rice. Sacrilege! But it felt just fine. I have been eating PHD ish for a few days and noticed more energy lifting weights at the gym, and maybe a lift in my mood. We will see. I am just afraid of regaining any of my hard-won 10 pounds. I know this is not the philosophy here, but I would love to hear about approx how many calories you can eat and still lose weight following PHD? I am trying initially for about 1800 calories, though it seems such a luxury.
    I look forward to seeing what PHD can offer and if it works for me!
    Regards,
    Jane.

Oh, some more about me: I am a mother of two young children. I am in my 40s and although I lost weight after my daughter, I am still carrying around an extra 15lb at least after my son. Hoping to get more healthy!:wink::smile:
  • Nutmeg76
    Nutmeg76 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am a more recent "convert" to PHD from "paleo". I still totally believe in the primal/paleo principles, but I need a higher card load and achieve that with rice and tapioca over eating mass amounts of vegetables. I am hoping to meet some like minded folks.

I am just about 37 years old. I have six children, they range from 22 months (two in January) to 14 years old, with one in heaven. I am in the US Air Force and need to stay fit so I don't lose my job.
  • bethanylaugh
    Options
    Hey Jane - sorry for the super late response, but in terms of calories I would suggest going through this process:
    1. eat for a day
    2. at the end of the day, track what you ate
    3. do that a few times in a row
    4. take your average calorie intact, subtract 100, set your macros (50% fat, minimum of 100g carbs), and go!

And welcome Nutmeg!
  • EchoDivine
    EchoDivine Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am new to PHD but not to MFP! I've been doing keto for the past 4 months but have not been very successful with it despite keeping a close eye on my intake. A lot of that probably has to do with not having that much to lose (I am starting out at around 138lbs, but I'd like to be around 120-125) I found it not very satisfying, as I do not enjoy so much fatty foods and tons of cheese, and I dearly missed fruits and rice (sushi!!). I also found it not very filling or nourishing, and some days I would tend to overeat by a hundred calories or so even though it was high-calorie food.

By contrast, yesterday I made some chicken curry with RICE and even though the calories for the meal were lower, I felt stuffed for hours! PHD does advocate higher fat, but I am hoping that increasing carbs will help me get all that fat in, in a more pleasing way (kerrygold + potatoes!).
  • jenn26point2
    jenn26point2 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    New to PHD, but not Paleo or MFP. Looks like it's kind of dead in here... I hope it doesn't stay that way.

Starting at somewhere below 188 (I hope anyway lol). I started whole30 on 5 March so I haven't weighed since then. I'm in training (taper) for a marathon and chose Whole30 as my nutrition plan b/c it's the only thing that keeps the inflammation at bay enough to not experience typical runner aches and pains. It works very well for my training.

However, I am very interested in PHD and want to get started. I'm 17 days away from my marathon, so I don't want to abandon Whole30 just yet - might do Whole30 and PHD together.

I suspect I'm allergic to dairy (I exhibit some symptoms of casein/whey allergy - congestion, eczema, inflammation) and am wondering what I can and can't have - plan to do a test run on some cheese when my Whole30 is up, then work on from there. I'm hoping it's an allergy to whey and not casein, but I'm not very optimistic about it.

Looking for friends who can help guide me as I smooth out the wrinkles.
  • Orione2
    Orione2 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hi. Found the PHD 12 days ago. Have lost 3lb already.
    Im a very active and fit 56 year old BUT have 80lb to lose. Have been paleo 7 years and tried keto with no success, was hospitalized due to heart palpitation! My body temperature was ( until this week) way down although I was not hypothyroid. At 34.5*C, as well as dry skin, dry eyes, and being generally moody. Now I know thats all signs of carb deficient and my body just shutting down. I ride a bike a few times a week about 6 hours, some easy some HIIT. I was basically not eating enough calories to lose weight my body thought i was undernourished and it was a vicious cycle. Not losing weight so cut more food out, I think weve all been there.
    So I struggled to actually eat the amount on the PHD, but only 12 days in and my body temp was up already near normal in the first week. I lost 3lb in the first week (husband has hidden the scales,and lets me weigh only on Sundays).
    Im up to eating around 1800cals (I can hardly believe it) and feel stuffed most of the time.☺
    Farty for the first few days..ha.
    looking forward to getting my waist back by the time my daughter graduates next year.
  • joseyjo78
    joseyjo78 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

Like many of you, I'm new to PHD, but not new to primal / ancestral eating. Or JERF (just eat real food). I've done VLC, high-fat, bullet-proof type lifestyle for oodones but I'm still overweight, grrrr. A stressful job for a few years is to blame despite a healthy lifestyle, but since I've kicked that in favour of balance, I'm not able to shed those stores kgs which is frustrating. I mean I feel fantastic, no health issues, except for excess fat that is not a good sign of overall health and longevity.

So after reading Jaminets PHD, it's so intriguing that manipulating fat levels but keeping carbs and proteins steady is a weight loss solution. I'm eager to find out, but also nervous after so many years on high-fat gospel and carb phobia.

I would welcome reassuring words of wisdom for the transition from VLC to PHD in regards to weight loss. Do you IF? Do you take the raft of supplements? Did you progressively increase carbs? How are you going with the limited fat during weight-loss phase?

Appreciate your help and looking forward to happy and healthy story shares.
  • lemonfix
    lemonfix Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I'm new to PHD - and primal/ancestral too - having been chained to the modern diet - and all of the various diets and weight loss schemes based on that thinking. I came across Jaminets website a little while ago and have now bought the book and have tried enough of his suggestions to have come the decision to commit!

I have to say though that the idea that it's okay to eat fat, and the saturated variety at that, still makes me nervous. Worse still is the fact that others are raising their eyebrows at the idea - putting it down to self-delusion, and I'm fairly sure in my paranoia that they're taking bets on how much weight I'm going to gain, how long until I fail again etc. They're probably not, but they certainly don't have faith in the diet!

I'm looking forward to overcoming both my own trepidation and gaining the confidence and insight to take this as far as I can. I'd really welcome your input and suggestion as much as your support - the PHD book and website is great but the very fact its so detailed works against me, and I have to admit that this, taken with my natural scepticism borne of fifty years on a wheat=good, fat=bad brainwashing, means I'm lacking in confidence somewhat in that I've got it right.

I'm kicking off on 1500 calories per day, 30% fat, 35% each for protein and carbs. I've got around 140lbs to lose - that's ten stone in Brit-speak!