What are your macros?

Options
tastethis
tastethis Posts: 68 Member
I know it varies from person to person, but I am just curious what y'alls dailies are!

Replies

• stefuhn33
    stefuhn33 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I set up MFP with 5% carbs, 25% protein, 70% fat. However, I really only use them as loose guidelines. I try to stay under 25 g of carbs, get my recommended amount of daily protein (anywhere around 65g - 100g is acceptable for my lean body mass) and then eat as much fat as I need to feel full.

42253264.png
  • jhiggi83
    jhiggi83 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    70% Fat, 30 % Protien, Less than 1% Carbs
  • Daerina8
    Daerina8 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    25g of carbs or less (it's usually around 15-20g)
    85g of protein
    and as much fat as I can get in before I'm full (84g max)

I don't pay much attention to the %s, to be honest they're not really the important part at all.
  • DehydrationStation
    Options
    I don't pay much attention to the %s, to be honest they're not really the important part at all.
    Actually, the keto ratios really are an important part. For ketosis to keep working, you have to keep a certain balance between fat and protein.

For example, if you are not eating the proper % of fat, your body will teach itself to break down protein for energy. And having your body burn protein is generally not a good idea if you want to, oh, I don't know, maybe keep those muscles you started out with.

Perhaps you're been doing keto long enough to have developed a good sense of your percentages, but people just starting out need to learn the 5 / 35 / 60 keto ratio, and get a sixth sense for it by tracking it every day.
  • MechanicalCritter
    MechanicalCritter Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Fat= 75% (117 g)
    Protien= 20% (70 g)
    Carbs= 5% (18 g)
  • stefuhn33
    Options
    Actually, the keto ratios really are an important part. For ketosis to keep working, you have to keep a certain balance between fat and protein.

For example, if you are not eating the proper % of fat, your body will teach itself to break down protein for energy. And having your body burn protein is generally not a good idea if you want to, oh, I don't know, maybe keep those muscles you started out with.

Perhaps you're been doing keto long enough to have developed a good sense of your percentages, but people just starting out need to learn the 5 / 35 / 60 keto ratio, and get a sixth sense for it by tracking it every day.

It's not about the percentages. They are a fairly good indicator of the amounts of macronutrients that one should be eating, but hitting those percentages does not mean that you're following the "ideal" ketogenic diet.

To respond to your point, if you're not eating enough fat, you're either eating too much protein (assuming you're paying attention to your carbs) or you're not eating many calories at all.

If you're eating too much protein, your body will convert excess protein into glucose via gluconeogenesis, which could potentially knock you out of ketosis. Thus, one should eat an appropriate amount of protein, generally around 0.6g - 1.0g of protein per lb of lean body mass, depending on the source. Fairly sedentary people will do fine on 0.6g/lb. This will allow one to maintain lean body mass, which has nothing to do with the ratio between fat and protein.

If you're not eating many calories (i.e. low fat, low carb, and low to moderate protein), then of course you will eventually lose lean body mass. Depending on the volume of fat stores in the body, you may be able to sustain a low calorie diet for awhile, but the body will break down some lean body mass in addition to fat for access to energy. Thus, you need to eat enough dietary fat so that the body will obtain all of the energy it requires from the diet and from body stores, without needing to access and break down lean body mass.

Fat is an energy source and protein, while it can be used for energy to some extent, is primarily used to build and maintain lean muscle mass. Therefore, with carbohydrate restriction, it's most important to ensure that one gets enough protein to maintain lean body mass (but not too much to kick one out of ketosis) while eating enough fat to be satiated.
  • LatinaGordita
    LatinaGordita Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I follow percentages as well, because I may eat , 1200, 1400 cals one day or 1600 the other.

70% f
    25% p
    5% c
  • DehydrationStation
    Options
    It's not about the percentages.

You started by saying "It's not about the percentages," and then went on to detail precisely why the keto ratio is a helpful thing for someone starting this diet.

First of all, it's narrow-sighted for anyone to say that, "Keto isn't about X". There are thousands of people doing keto for dozens of reasons. Please don't condescend to us by proclaiming what keto is about (or not about).

Second, I am not saying that the keto ratio doesn't have some flexibility for people with lower LBM protein requirements. I trust that we all understand that 5 / 35 / 60 is just an average.

Third, I've looked through enough Food Diaries on MFP to see that perhaps 10-15% of the people "on keto" probably aren't actually on keto. Either because their starting carbs target is too high, or their protein target is too high, or they "only eat fat until I feel full"†. In all of those scenarios, their macros aren't even in the ballpark of a keto ratio. Thus, their odds of reaching a keto-adapted state are greatly reduced.

How do you fix that, and help make that 10-15% actually successful at this lifestyle? Expound on the benefits of the keto ratio, have them run their numbers at the Keto Calculator, and have them plug the percentages into MFP.

By no means does that make it "all about the percentages", but they are certainly a good thing to compare your numbers against, particularly when you're starting out.

† Here's a grand pronouncement for you: For some of us, keto is
    not about "eating fat until you're satiated". It's about losing weight
    in a precise, controlled manner.
  • stefuhn33
    Options
    You started by saying "It's not about the percentages," and then went on to detail precisely why the keto ratio is a helpful thing for someone starting this diet.

I only phrased it in this way because you insinuated that the percentages are all that matters. They are a tool and sufficient for many people, but they are estimations and not absolutes. Perhaps I misunderstood your post, but that is what it sounded like you were suggesting. My post has nothing to do with the goals of those on the ketogenic diet, whether it be weight loss, body recomp, or the health benefits. I am simply trying to explain the best way to ensure that one stays in ketosis and doesn't lose lean body mass. I am also not intending to condescend; I am only trying to extend my knowledge to those that haven't heard it and think that they're seriously screwing up when they end up with a day at 1300 calories, 5% carbs, 40% protein and 55% fat every now and then. Depending on their LBM, this won't be harmful if they're eating the appropriate amount of protein-- it just means that they weren't as hungry that day, and that's fine. Some people just get too hung up on macro percentages without understanding where they come from.
    Third, I've looked through enough Food Diaries on MFP to see that perhaps 10-15% of the people "on keto" probably aren't actually on keto. Either because their starting carbs target is too high, or their protein target is too high, or they "only eat fat until I feel full"†. In all of those scenarios, their macros aren't even in the ballpark of a keto ratio. Thus, their odds of reaching a keto-adapted state are greatly reduced.

That is exactly what I am trying to help with. If one keeps to the suggested carb intake (~20g - 50g depending on sensitivity to carbs) and the appropriate amount of protein for their LBM, they should not have issues. If those macros are held fairly constant, fat will be the only changing variable from day to day. Its macro ratio can vary depending on the day and one's level of hunger/calorie intake. This won't affect ketosis, it will only affect hunger.
    † Here's a grand pronouncement for you: For some of us, keto is
    not about "eating fat until you're satiated". It's about losing weight
    in a precise, controlled manner.

Look, I'm not trying to attack your post, I'm just trying to explain the science behind the macro ratios. I feel a bit attacked by your post, especially when you tell me that I'm condescending by "proclaiming what keto is about..." and then turn around and say that "It's about losing weight in a precise, controlled manner." If that is someone's goal with keto, eating to satiation while staying in ketosis is helpful. I don't see why it wouldn't be.
  • DehydrationStation
    Options
    I only phrased it in this way because you insinuated that the percentages are all that matters.
    To be fair, I said, "the keto ratios really are an important part." This does not suggest that they supercede anything else.
    Some people just get too hung up on macro percentages without understanding where they come from.
    That is definitely one end of the continuum. The other end is, "the percentages don't matter." I'm fighting for a middle ground here.
    If one keeps to the suggested carb intake (~20g - 50g depending on sensitivity to carbs) and the appropriate amount of protein for their LBM, they should not have issues.
    This applies only to those using keto for weight loss. What if they are using keto to gain weight? What if they've lost all their weight, and are now in the maintenance phase?
    ... fat will be the only changing variable from day to day. Its macro ratio can vary depending on the day and one's level of hunger/calorie intake. This won't affect ketosis, it will only affect hunger.
    My point is precisely that eating to satiety doesn't affect only hunger. It affects weight loss. For someone working keto with a 30% deficit, not hitting their fat target by a mile "because I feel full" is burning through the body's stores of fat at a pretty speedy rate. And the Keto Calculator has already warned them about the 30% deficit!
    I feel a bit attacked by your post, especially when you tell me that I'm condescending by "proclaiming what keto is about..." and then turn around and say that "It's about losing weight in a precise, controlled manner."
    It was preceded by a tongue-in-cheek "Here's a grand pronouncement for you"... and it included the modifier "for some of us".

I'm not spoiling for a fight here, either. But I don't understand the resistance in promoting a well-accepted keto tool that can make things easier AND safer for beginners.

(In this thread alone, there are already people posting about their 20% protein ratio. I've seen people mention their 15% protein ratio. Heck, I've seen people with ratios that don't even add up to 100%! Do you think they're are all exceptions to the rule, based on an unusual LBM? Or do you think gesturing toward the generally-accepted, tried-and-true keto ratio might be a good idea?)
  • stefuhn33
    Options
    That is definitely one end of the continuum. The other is, "the percentages don't matter." I'm fighting for a middle ground here.

Fair enough. I can appreciate that. Most people don't need to dwell on the numbers too much, I've just seen a fair number of r/keto posts asking about stalls when they're eating way too much protein (due to only using the percentages given by the keto calculator). I just like to remind people that percentages aren't everything.
    My point is precisely that eating to satiety doesn't affect only hunger. It affects weight loss. For someone working keto with a 30% deficit, not hitting their fat target by a mile "because I feel full" is burning through the body's stores of fat at a pretty speedy rate. And the Keto Calculator has already warned them about the 30% deficit!

I understand. Deficits that are too large can be an issue, but most people won't be able to eat at that large of a deficit for too long and still claim that they're not hungry. For those that can, I think that using macro percentages could be valuable.
    It was preceded by a tongue-in-cheek "Here's a grand pronouncement for you"... and it included the modifier "for some of us".

I'm not spoiling for a fight here, either. But I don't understand the resistance in promoting a well-accepted keto tool that can make things easier AND safer for beginners.

(In this thread alone, there are already people posting about their 20% protein ratio. I've seen people with ratios that don't even add up to 100%! Do you think they're are all exceptions to the rule, based on LBM?)

Alrighty. I don't normally like to get into debates and thus don't post much on forums and such (unless I think that I might be helping someone). I don't have a problem with people using those percentages, especially if they're successfully achieving their goals using them. I just like to inform people that they aren't ALWAYS the best way to determine macro intake because I've seen people stalling (with no clue how to proceed) due to trying to follow macro percentages to the letter (when their goal is weight loss).

Of course exceptions to the rule are just that (exceptions to the rule), but I'm just trying to be helpful in case those people are struggling to achieve their goals on keto.

Glad that we cleared that up. Truce? Haha. :)
  • DehydrationStation
    Options
    Truce.

My experience, albeit limited, is when someone on keto is having a problem -- whether it's a stall or a plateau or whatnot -- the VERY first thing they do is start jacking their ratios around.

It's like the opposite of Keep Calm and Keto On.

I just had a chat with someone who fell out of keto over Christmas, and is now at "70-80% fat, 15-20% protein and very very low carbs", for days at a time, to get back in.

People forget that keto is a serious dietary intervention that should be medically supervised. That's why I bristle when I hear someone say that the percentages don't matter. They do matter, especially for the uninformed noob who is trying to lose weight for the first time in their life, and is "doing keto" based on some half-read, third-generation misinformation about keto on a website from 2003.

We can help others keto better, and safer. And we can use all the tools. The keto ratio is just one of them.

That was a spirited discussion! Should we discuss fat fasting now? :)
  • stefuhn33
    Options
    Oh yeah, people definitely overreact to stalls. I personally don't worry much about a stall or try to change things up unless it lasts for about a month or longer. R/keto is definitely inundated with posts like "I HAVEN'T LOST WEIGHT IN 5 DAYS, HALP!" and too many people recommend drastic changes when they're not always warranted.

Hahaha. Fat fasting. I've actually tried to look into that, but there isn't a lot of solid, scientific evidence supporting or refuting its efficacy. It does seem to help people break stalls sometimes (anecdotally), but it could be simply due to reducing carb and calorie intake. The lack of protein is definitely worrying, especially when people try to fat fast for more than a couple days.
  • DehydrationStation
    Options
    Hahaha. Fat fasting. I've actually tried to look into that, but there isn't a lot of solid, scientific evidence supporting or refuting its efficacy. It does seem to help people break stalls sometimes (anecdotally), but it could be simply due to reducing carb and calorie intake. The lack of protein is definitely worrying, especially when people try to fat fast for more than a couple days.
    Whew. We are in agreement!
  • delta229
    delta229 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    My macros are:

70/29/1 I keep my Carbs well below 1 percent and try to keep my sugar at 0. It is all about the numbers but for me, the calorie count and micros are important too. I am a Medical Professional who logs extensive data as to how food affects my results. I can assure you that each person is different. There are no "Magic" numbers, only guidelines. You have to do the work to find out what works.
    I am currently on a 20 day water fast with extensive data logging. If you are interested in sharing your research or seeing mine, please add me.
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    For me,
    70-75% fat
    20-25% protein - focus is on getting my min protein target, to maintain LBM
    5-10% carbs

I see better results with the higher fat target.
  • tastethis
    tastethis Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Oh my. I appreciate all the information. Let's all try to get along though, ok? :)
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    My macros are:

70/29/1 I keep my Carbs well below 1 percent and try to keep my sugar at 0. It is all about the numbers but for me, the calorie count and micros are important too. I am a Medical Professional who logs extensive data as to how food affects my results. I can assure you that each person is different. There are no "Magic" numbers, only guidelines. You have to do the work to find out what works.
    I am currently on a 20 day water fast with extensive data logging. If you are interested in sharing your research or seeing mine, please add me.

Very interesting. What is a 20 day water fast?
  • Daerina8
    Daerina8 Posts: 35 Member
    Options

I know there's been a lot of back and forth on this (I was away for the weekend... sue me :P) but I'll step in and answer to the first comment on what I said.

Percentages do NOT matter, it's just a general guideline. You need to hit your protein macro grams (or be as close to it as possible). Your protein macro grams will vary based on your lean body mass, once calculated, if you do not exceed that number your body will not use ingested protein for fuel because all ingested protein will go towards maintaining muscle. And by not going under that number, your body will not use muscle mass as fuel.

You also need to stay under your carb limit, which also varies person to person. I've met some keto'ers who can get away with 50g per day and still remain in ketosis, others need to stay below 20g.

Fat simply fills up the remaining calories in your day. Some days if you're not very hungry you may end up eating 10g of carbs, hitting your protein macro, and then maybe only eating 20g of fat and you're done. That would definitely not be a 5/25/70 ratio, but is still very keto. Because you are in ketosis, your body uses your fat stores already in your body to fuel yourself. That is quite literally, the definition of ketosis. A state where your body is turning STORED fat (not ingested fat) into ketone bodies and using them for fuel.

If your body is turning stored fat into fuel efficiently, you can get away with a very low fat intake and find yourself not hungry very often at all, it all depends on how many calories you want to eat, not the macro %'s you want to achieve.

darthluiggi explains it here as well (a keto'er who has been on keto for about 13 years): http://www.reddit.com/r/keto/comments/1uex6r/whats_more_important_calories_from_fat_or_the/

EDIT: also keep in mind that if you have a very high caloric intake (some people do) and you set your macro percentages to say, 5% carbs, you could very well be setting yourself up to have a daily intake that exceeds 20g of carbs and throwing you out of ketosis. It's all about the grams.
  • Debbiedebbiey
    Debbiedebbiey Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Bumping to double check my protein % !!