Newbie here

Options
Hi Everyone!
After being heavy my entire life and battling a weight issue along with low self esteem and depression, I decided at 51 years old that I wanted a life change so I made the decision to have the lapband.

My surgery was September 6th and this process has been very slow but I"m thankful that I've lost 22 pounds. Last year, I weighed 204 and then got Rocky Mountain Spotted Tick Fever which then reduced my weight to 195, I kept the 8 lbs off and still weighed 195 before the surgery.

When the weather was nicer, I was able to go outside and walk each day 1 1/2 to 2 miles which I really enjoyed but then as the weather got colder, it changed my exercise habits. Now I've been using the stationary bike and treadmill at work which sure makes a big difference on the inch loss as well as toning up. I would love to do some weight training but yet to find out how to start. lol

I just had my 5th fill on December 26th and now have 4.1 in the band. I don't feel like i"m in the green yet but think I must be getting close.

Until recently, I wondered what "full" felt like but after doing some research, I now know that we will never feel the old feeling of being full and it's different for us so learning this was quite interesting. I know I have plenty of other questions or note comparing to do with other band patients here. I do not drink anything until 1 1/2 hours after I eat but always try to drink plenty prior to eating.

I hope to find a lot of great band friends here as we all walk this journey in our new lives. I don't really have any band buddies and that's something I think we all need!

What types of vitamins do you all take daily? I take two chewable calciums and 1 multi vitamin daily but that's it. Does anyone take anything else along with these?

Replies

• LolaBug85
    LolaBug85 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I had RNY, so I'm not a whole lot of help when it comes to band questions. I think (don't quote me on this) that RNY patients have different vitamin requirements since we do not absorb things properly anymore. Can someone put in some input on this?

But we're glad to have you here! It's a great place for support and we've all been down similar roads.

Welcome!!!
  • stroynaya
    stroynaya Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I also had RNY and we do have higher vitamin requirements than the band. You really should consult with your doctor (either weight loss or primary care). They can run a blood panel and determine if you are deficient and should be taking more supplements or if you are fine with your multi and calcium. My primary care doc did this as part of my annual physical even before I considered wls.
  • risskie
    risskie Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    It's true that the RNY peeps need a more rigid regimen of vitamins. I will celebrate that 2 year anniversary on 1/20. Currently I take daily generic multi vit and Vit C gummies. I also take 2 calcium chews: 1-> late aft and 1-> evening (should not be taken same time as multi vits). I used to take Vit B complex sub lingual daily, but now only monthly. I am extremely dedicated to these vitamins and I'm nearly convinced that because of them, I have not had a cold or flu in 2 years. Due to specific allergy, I can't have a flu shot. So bottom line, I try to eat right but am passionate about my vitamins. - same brand, each month and same time every day! Gotta keep a good thing going!
    PS - WELCOME to the best group of ALL the W.L.S groups. We are here for YOU :flowerforyou:
  • Wanda_Js_Journey
    Options
    A friend just had RNY back in November and doing well with a 34 lb weight loss. The dr. actually told her she was losing too fast but she was struggling with any hunger whatsoever so she didn't eat.

Since my hair has been thin the past few weeks, I've been very diligent in getting my 60g of protein every day.

I feel wonderful and very healthy too. After having tick fever last year, it seemed to of also aggravated a leaky heart valve so I felt tired all the time, lots of pain, fatigue etc but I've improved greatly since I've lost weight and eliminated almost all sugars from my diet.

It's pretty awesome seeing the weight loss numbers for you guys. I"m getting excited to be near the 25 lb mark and hopefully it won't be long!
    At that point, I will be half way to my goal.

I'm sure this is normal but at times I start thinking about reaching the goal and will I be able to keep it off. The fear tries to creep in and sock me a good one.
  • godsgrl33
    godsgrl33 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    If your hair is thinning, you may need biotin and or iron supplements. That's what they told us at our last nutrition class. I would just call the office where you had it done, and they should be able to tell you for sure.