In Ketosis by Day 3

Options
jhiggi83
jhiggi83 Posts: 27 Member
My test strips are reading purple and I have only been going straight keto for 3 days. Perviously my Carbs were 90-120 on average with the occasional 200-250 day and fats were kept between 40-60g. I expected to not get a reading for at least 10 days. How quickly did everyone else go in to Ketosis?

Replies

• gmansmom2
    gmansmom2 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    It varies. If you did not have a lot of glucose stored it can be faster. Just be happy and enjoy!
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    It takes me a day or two to get into ketosis
  • DehydrationStation
    Options
    No matter how many carbs you ate before, your body can store about 2,000 calories in glucose.

You'll burn through that in two or three days (faster if you're active), and then switch into ketosis. So you're right on schedule.

Bear in mind that ketosis isn't the same as keto-adapted. You'll have to wait 6 to 12 weeks for that.
  • delta229
    delta229 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Don't let the urine strips mislead you. They only only indicate the "Overflow" of Ketones and only respond to one type. They also differ between brands. That's not saying it's not a good way to get started. It will give you a general idea. If you want to maximize your blood ketones and determine which foods affect it, a dual purpose meter is the way to go. There are free ones available. The test strips are a bit expensive but I think it's worth the two bucks a day to know where I stand. If you want to know about the meters or talk about the data I have collected, please feel free to add me.

Michael Bell, Registered Paramedic
    Olympia, Washington, USA