January workout check in thread

Options
lwoodroff
lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
Here's for the awesome sessions, the celebrations, the failures, the general lifting-specific chat :)

Replies

• Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    More squats!

Back squats with a squat bar:

50x10
    100x10
    140x5
    160x3
    180x3
    200x1
    220x1
    230x1
    240x1
    250x1
    250x1

And for the old elbow tendonitus 10lb curls 2x10
  • _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    5X5 on all:

squats 125 lbs
    bench 75 lbs (2nd attempt, boo ya)
    row 75 lbs

it's a great feeling afterwards
  • lwoodroff
    Options
    Wayhey back at the gym for the first time since Christmas eve! Took a bit of a deload, so squat 60kg 3x5 (felt heavy, not sure about form!) and bench 37.5kg 3x5

Then I braved the prowler. Ugh. I know I hate cardio but at least it's over fast!
  • ErinRibbens
    ErinRibbens Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I would love to try a Prowler! I'm sure no gym in a 60 mile radius has one. I'm lucky to have a gym with a squat rack!

Still doing Wendler's 5/3/1 and I am loving it. The progress is slow, but, it's progress! At this stage I will take it because I was stalling on all my lifts even doing 3x5's once I got to the heavier weights.

PR of 215 deadlift (1x3) today, after lots of warm-ups so I was very happy, especially with the embarrassing way I've been eating over the holidays!

Tuesday I did 95 lb. bench press which isn't a PR but is back up to where I was this summer before I developed tendonitis in my wrist. Seems to be doing better so I'm hopeful I can progress.

I've also added kettle bell workouts once or twice a week for some cardio and loving it. My tummy seems flatter and I've lost a couple pounds, which is a miracle.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I did some sort of indicator workout today where I tried 5x5 for all 4 main lifts (3x5 on the deadlift and that turned out to be too much, ugh! I was used to more sets doing 5/3/1!) - Barbell rows I consider somewhat accessory, really.

I rather easily did all sets. Going to deload with some hypertrophy work during the following week then get into the ICF 5x5 routine.

Squat: 125lbs
    Deadlift 160lbs (only did 3 reps on the third set. the bar was one of those really rough ones and my grip failed)
    Bench: 100lbs
    OHP: 60lbs

The 4 lifts including warmups only took me about 50 minutes total.

My gym acquired a prowler about a month back and I still haven't tried it (every time I think about it, someone is already using it!) But I might actually add a few lengths of that at the end of tomorrow's workout. If my legs have recovered enough.
  • Fittreelol
    Options
    I love the prowler. There's only space to do it outside at my gym though which leaves it for spring/summer/early fall as it's already dark when I leave work currently. So fun.

Day 4 of the Squatpocalypse:

Barbell back squat:
    45x10
    95x10
    135x5
    175x3
    200x2
    215x1
    225x1 Was going to go higher, but this felt SUPER heavy

185x3
    195x3
    205x3

150x5
    160x5
    170x5

Then body weight hip thrusts 3x20
  • jcdoerr
    jcdoerr Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Finally got back to it today after nearly two and a half weeks off for the holidays. I decreased everything by 10 pounds because I knew that I wasn't going to be able to pick up where I left off, and it still killed me!

Squats 5x5 @ 75#
    OP 5x5 @ 60#
    Deadlift 1x5 @ 135#

This will likely be my only chance to get a session in for the next 10 days because I'm leaving for a ski trip this weekend, but I just had to get something in! Now I feel better...and tired! :yawn:
  • cinico
    cinico Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am new to the group and SL! Today was workout two but did the A set I started with B! I am adjusting to using barbell as I hadn't used it before! I noticed on my presses that my arms were wobbly one arm is stronger than the other ! I am also using the smith machine for squats and will eventually have to use it for presses since I won't always have a spotter! I should still see results right??

Thanks Cindy
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am new to the group and SL! Today was workout two but did the A set I started with B! I am adjusting to using barbell as I hadn't used it before! I noticed on my presses that my arms were wobbly one arm is stronger than the other ! I am also using the smith machine for squats and will eventually have to use it for presses since I won't always have a spotter! I should still see results right??

Thanks Cindy

The Smith machine is the worst for squats and correct form.
  • lwoodroff
    Options
    does your gym have a squat rack? they often have safety bars.. I never have a spotter and prefer not to actually. And second the 'avoid the smith machine' comment!

re the prowler - yes I use it outside too, but the gym is in a back alley (micro industrial estate) so it's easy to push it to the side if an occasional car needs to come by. And there is a PIR floodlight outside so no excuses!
  • krokador
    Options

Thanks Cindy

I third the "smith machine is evil". I tried doing back squats with it once and my knees ended up hurting something fierce. I just couldn't get settled in right! If you have a squat rack, use it

Yyou can also use it for "safety" bench presses. Drag a bench in the rack, set the safety pins to your chest level, and then you don't need a spotter because you can just shrink under. Not to mention, depending on the weight you work with, you might not need to be too worried. If you don't actually drop the bar, you can just roll it off. Or not use clips and try to unload the weight plates. Or, y'know, just ask for a spot. People are nicer than you think :)

And soldier on on the overhead press! It's a tough one!
  • cinico
    cinico Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Yea I did some more reading on the smith machine and as you all agree it is discouraged! I will give it a go without the smith machine and see how I do! Thank You!
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    I got to the gym last Monday, but that was it. Going tonight. Basically just did walking during the holidays. Zumba last night.
  • ErinRibbens
    ErinRibbens Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Amy, are you using a mixed grip on the deadlift? That has made a world of difference to me! I try to use a regular double overhand grip on the warm up sets to build my grip strength but once it gets really heavy I switch to a mixed grip. And chalk!
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    The mixed-grip is really not recommended.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Hey all first workout of the new year...just couldn't do it on Wednesday...ick.

Amy Yes at 170 it is heavy. I started loading up 5lbs on DL at that point.

Today was workout A

Squats 120lb 5x5 feeling good, have to start really concentrating on form again...making sure to not let knees buckle etc.

Bench press is at 110lbs today got 5x110 out well for 2 sets, 5x110 was iffy (3rd set) but got the 5th one out, 4x110 4th set, 3x110 5th set.,....I still rawred after tho...hehe feelin' like a beast.

Rows failed last week so at 110 again...
    and again this week fail....

3x4 @ 110 ( checked my form after first set wasn't feeling right, 2nd one was better but failed on last rep)
    2x3@110

and done.....
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

really? I find it's the best as well and most lifters I talk to use it..

Amy I also have switched to sumo stance...love it
  • krokador
    Options
    I actually am one of those weird people for whom mixed grip just won't work right, I guess. Unless my grip is really shot I just keep to overhand or hook grip.

My tip here would be to relax. The first time I tried 175lbs I failed like, the bar didn't even move. I took a few breaths, did a few arms circles, sat myself in a squat stretch and focused on what my form was supposed to look like... Then I went back to it, and went for 2 reps! Haha! (And 4 days later I was lifting 185lbs for the first time as well. :))

So don't tense up too much (you don't want to be loose, either). Focus on pulling your shoulders back, keeping the bar in contact with your shins (or almost) and DRIVE your heels into the ground like there's an insect of sorts under them and you REALLY don't want it to get out!

Also, there's no shame in using the 2.5lbs plates ;)

Did I mention my chest session was FUN?! (The cardio at the end not so much. My legs are just toast. I need to rest them for a day or 2...) 20 sets for chest, 16 for triceps... So much volume. lol I'm not used to those rep ranges, either. Itching to gwr inro SL even more, but patience is a virtue :)
  • Fittreelol
    Options

really? I find it's the best as well and most lifters I talk to use it..

Amy I also have switched to sumo stance...love it
    I wanted to see how far I could get with chalk so I could get my grip strength up, but when this happened I tried a hook grip--no go, then a mixed grip--still no go. It wasn't even just the grip, but I felt like my back and legs physically could not handle the weight. By then, it's entirely possible I'd either tired or psyched myself out, so I'm definitely going to keep experimenting with the grip for next time.

Also wondering who doesn't recommend mixed grip. :cry:

I didn't have use mixed grip until a bit over 200 IIRC. I warm up with double overhand and then usually switch to mixed grip again at my first warmup set over 200. I don't want to be the idiot that rips their bicep tendon. I also do light curls 1-2 times a week (and I mean light like 10lbs) to keep those elbow ligaments/tendons blood flowing and happy.

Amy I would bet you psyched yourself out. You are one strong lady. I always tell myself if I could do 5 deadlifts at x weight, then I can at least do one at x+10. I haven't failed to get that one yet so it might be working for me. :laugh:

Today I did front squats just working towards a single max. My shoulders are still bruised from my last front squatting escapade so I didn't want to do backoff sets. I actually didn't really want to do front squats and thought I'd bomb horribly, but I ended up getting a PR. :drinker:

45x10
    95x10
    125x5
    150x3
    165x1
    175x1
    185x1
    195x1
    205x1
    210x1
  • vendygirl
    vendygirl Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Finally got into the gym yesterday and it took me badgering myself to go. I had to leave work at 3:45 drive 30 minutes to file something in another county then double back to close to where I work, another 30-40 minutes due to traffic at rush hour, so I could get my workout in. I need to get a gym closer or get a home gym. Sadly those both cost money and with the hubs still looking for work we are on a strict budget. Convenience will just have to wait. My current gym i am payed up for the year so there is that.

Squat 125lbs 5x5
    Row 65lbs 5x5
    Bench 95lb 4x5, 100lbs 1x3

I think I am reaching my first stall on the bench. I haven't hit a stall on squat yet and this has me wondering 'am I ever going to stall?'. I realize it will be coming soon but leave it to me to wonder why I haven't failed yet.