Ketosis + fat/protein

Options
dreja89
dreja89 Posts: 18 Member
How are you guys all checking ketosis? I'm doing the pee stick thingies, sounds like everyone else is checking by blood - how the heck do you do that?
Also, I need some high fat/protein ideas... can't seem to hit my protein targets...

Replies

• Roze_Lintje
    Roze_Lintje Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'm not checking ketones, too expensive :( I would like a ketone blood meter, but for some reason it's hard to find here.

If you need more protein you can take whey powder or something like chicken or shrimps.
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Hi dreja, just took a quick look at your food diary and I think I see a couple of things that may help.

When you log food, check for accuracy of the macronutrients. For instance, I noticed that yesterday you had a beef patty, which you have recorded its calories but zero protein (a beef patty with zero protein, now only from special cows I guess :-).

Also, I see you use light mayonnaise. You should be using real full fat mayonnaise. The light versions add carbs and reduce fat and protein.

Easy way to get fat into your diet is get some low carb frozen vegetables (kale, spinach, asparagus, Brussels sprouts, green beans, etc) and fry in butter and/or olive oil. Delish and not expensive and healthy. You can kick flavour up by adding some dried herbs if you wish.

Another great fat add to diet is add sliced fresh avocado to your meals.

For protein, explore the wide variety of meats available, beef, lamb, chicken, turkey, pork, etc. you don't need to buy the expensive cuts, nor the lean cuts either. Instead of buying chicken in pieces, by a whole chicken, and learn how to cut it up in pieces yourself. You can use the remaining bones to make broth for soup.

Learn how to remake your favorite dishes or casseroles low carb style. For example, for Shepard Pie, use high fat ground beef or ground lamb for the bottom, and use mashed cauliflower with butter and cream in place of the mashed potato topping.

There's a really entertaining young chef on youtube called chef William. Just go on you tube and in the search bar type "chef William LCHF". I find that he has some very good tasty and easy recipes, with a European flare.

To check if in ketosis, you can get the little urine strips, Ketostix. Not as accurate I find as the blood meters, but the drawback with blood meters is that you need to prick your fingers (not a big deal for most people). If you cannot find these products at your pharmacy, you can buy online.

Good luck!