new to group but not MFP

Options
I am a 60 1/2 year old teacher with 2 beautiful granddaughters, a wonderful husband of 38 years, a very successful daughter and son, and 45 pounds to lose. I can't exercise because I had ankle/foot surgery a month ago. I have to be NWB for at least another month before I begin learning to use my foot again. I use crutches and a knee walker and decided to begin using my FITBIT again and count my "right foot steps." My daughter and I challenged each other to see who would lose the most weight by the end of March. I need help! She Is much younger and can exercise. So I am depending on some of you to Help motivate and give me some great ideas. I did lose weight when I used the food diary last year; then my foot caused problems so I went back to eating. I'm ready!:happy:

Replies

• Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome to the group.I wish you a quick recovery!
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,757 Member
    Options
    You might want to try using dumbells, and work out your upper body since the bottom part is so restricted. Burn cals anyway you can. Your arm can burn a lot of cals. If you get the Sit and Be Fit program on your local pbs station that could be a starting place as well.

Hope you mend soon and all the best in your efforts to lose the weight.
  • dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Welcome and i hope you make a speedy and good recovery

good luck with you goals
  • Candiedginger
    Candiedginger Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Yes I agree with retirerhappy, dumbells are great to keep your upper strength up and sit and fit is a must. I have had the same issue you are having and it's not easy but I know you can do this. Once I was able to walk on my ankle I started using a hula hoop. Make sure you ask your Physical theraphist what you can do. Start slow and don't give up, remember the point is not who wins or looses but that your getting heathy and stronger as each day go by.
  • bedwellchris
    bedwellchris Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Thanks for everyone's welcome and help. I did use weights sitting on my ball last weekend but it was difficult to keep my foot off of the floor to help my balance. I will look into the Sit and Be Fit program and see how that works. You would think that jumping around all day with my 3rd graders, switching from knee roller to crutches back and forth might burn some calories but I don't know. Sometimes I even hop on my good foot if I only have about 6 feet to go. I like using the weights though.
  • debneeds2beskinny
    debneeds2beskinny Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    HI! sounds like you have your work cut out for you. I am kind of similar - I have had two knee replacements, other surgeries and sever osteo arthritis. It is hard to move. I need encouragement, motivation etc. I want to loose about 40 lbs before my retirement in a year and a half. Please add me as a friend if you would like - we can work toward our goal together.:wink:
  • californiagirl1950
    californiagirl1950 Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    HI! sounds like you have your work cut out for you. I am kind of similar - I have had two knee replacements, other surgeries and sever osteo arthritis. It is hard to move. I need encouragement, motivation etc. I want to loose about 40 lbs before my retirement in a year and a half. Please add me as a friend if you would like - we can work toward our goal together.:wink:

Hi debneeds2besk.

I too have had knee replacement and getting a hip done Jan 28th. My spine is a mess and it does hurt to exercise, but I find the elliptical easy on the joints and of course stationary bike. I am so looking forward to getting outside for walks again, once I recover from the hip.

Good luck to you on your journey. It can be done!
  • bedwellchris
    bedwellchris Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Sounds good. I have lost about 8 pounds in 2 weeks, so that is encouraging. I just never stopped to think how many calories I was shoveling into my mouth. After I my discipline, I just go for whatever I can get to eat. Now, thank goodness, I don't crave junk food, sodas, fast food, and really have to remember to eat. I need my extra 45 pounds off quicker, so that when I can begin walking on my foot (from surgery), will be putting less stress on it.

I'm not sure when I am going to retire- maybe 3-4 years. Have a !eating day!:happy: