Clean Eating Recipes

Options
tanyab1990
tanyab1990 Posts: 212 Member
I thought I would create a thread for us to post the clean eating recipes we try out. Please share your successes so we can all try them!

Here's my first contribution: Turkey Shepherd's Pie...It was very good. I added salt, pepper and garlic powder to accommodate my tastes. I also calculated the calories and find that the calories quoted on this website seem a little low but it's still a great meal with lower than average calories for such a filling dinner.

http://www.cleaneatingmag.com/recipes/shepherds-pie-with-buttermilk-chive-mashed-potato-crust/

Replies

• kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    That looks really good.
  • kingscrown
    Options
    Made it for dinner tonight. SO GOOD! Can't wait to have it for lunch tomorrow too. I too, added garlic powder, then a little season salt. Didn't have any chives and used green onion. Worked great. Wasn't feeling like finely chopping fresh rosemary and sprinkled in some poultry seaoning instead. Will definitely make this again.
  • tanyab1990
    Options
    Made it for dinner tonight. SO GOOD! Can't wait to have it for lunch tomorrow too. I too, added garlic powder, then a little season salt. Didn't have any chives and used green onion. Worked great. Wasn't feeling like finely chopping fresh rosemary and sprinkled in some poultry seaoning instead. Will definitely make this again.

I'm so glad you enjoyed it! My mom and dad tried it last night and loved it too.
  • tanyab1990
    Options
    I'm trying this slow cooker oatmeal tonight. I used all organic ingredients (except for the cinnamon) and can't wait to try it in the morning!

http://www.melskitchencafe.com/2012/03/overnight-maple-brown-sugar-oatmeal.html

Tanya
  • deb54
    deb54 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    went to this site...many yum recipes except didn't see nutritional info on any...did i overlook it ? Thanks...deb
  • tanyab1990
    Options
    went to this site...many yum recipes except didn't see nutritional info on any...did i overlook it ? Thanks...deb

I didn't see any either. I usually look for recipes that appear clean based on ingredients, then add the recipe to MFP's recipes for calculations. This also helps since I will tweak the recipes based on what I like. I calculated this recipe (no dried fruit, 1/4 cup of maple syrup and 1/4 cup organic brown sugar) at 200 calories per serving (8 servings).
  • mamarundrc
    mamarundrc Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    I am making Rosemary and Garlic Roasted Salmon tonight

http://www.insockmonkeyslippers.com/rosemary-and-garlic-roasted-salmon-revisited

I am using wild caught salmon and dried rosemary (store was out of fresh). It looks super simple. I plan on pairing this with some garlic roasted asparagus.

Rosemary and Garlic Roasted Salmon

2 garlic cloves
    2 fresh 6″ rosemary sprigs, about 1 tablespoon chopped
    1 1/2 to 2 pounds salmon, preferably Copper River Salmon*
    1/8 teaspoon sea salt
    1/8 teaspoon black pepper
    * For this meal I am using sockeye salmon but it works with all varieties of salmon.

1. Preheat oven to 425°. Peel and chop garlic and rosemary and set aside.

2. Place salmon on a parchment lined baking sheet.

3. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, rosemary, and garlic. Place in the oven and roast for 12 minutes or until the salmon is flaky.
  • MrsFarrow
    MrsFarrow Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    You guys are making my mouth water, for real.

I have to try these!
  • tanyab1990
    Options
    Great looking salmon recipe!
  • kingscrown
    Options
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/trisha-yearwood/art-smiths-garlic-mashed-cauliflower-recipe/index.html

I made the mashed cauliflower. I didn't add the olive oil as tasting it I knew it would never add enough flavor to make me really enjoy it. So, I added a tsp of chicken bouillon, italian seasoning, garlic powder and onion powder. Then it tasted pretty good. I ate 1 serving.

Today, I took the leftover mashed cauliflower added 2 eggs, 1/2 cup of flower and some olive oil to fry with and made Cauliflower pancakes. They were SO SO good. DH did think they were potato until her found a chunk of cauliflower in one of his pancakes.
  • bloodhoundlady
    bloodhoundlady Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I have made these a lot. The spice combination is amazing and I have put it on several things, meats, veggies and of course sweet potatos.

This is from the eatcleanfreak.blogspot.com
    http://eatcleanfreak.blogspot.com/2011/01/spicy-sweet-potato-fries.html

Spicy Sweet Potato Fries

Ingredients
    ◾2-3 Sweet Potatoes
    ◾1 tsp Paprika
    ◾1 tsp Cumin
    ◾1 tsp Chili Powder
    ◾1 tsp Garlic Powder
    ◾1/2 tsp Sea salt
    ◾pinch of black pepper
    ◾2 Tbsp of Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil (approx)
    1.Remove skin from potatoes and place in microwave oven for 2-3 minutes. (This will make it easier for cutting thru tough potatoes)
    2.In a large bowl, mix all other ingredients in a bowl.
    3.Cut off ends of potatoes and discard. Cut each potatoes lengthwise first, then into strips(longer potatoes will need to be cut into half also). Make sure to make all strips about the same size for even baking.
    4.Once all strips are cut, mix in the large bowl with other ingredients. I find using your hands works best!
    5.After all strips are evening coated, lay strips out on a baking sheet (single layer).
    6.Bake at 400 degrees for approx. 30 min or until tender. (Flip fries half way thru)
  • kingscrown
    Options
    http://www.cleaneatingmag.com/recipes/classics-made-clean/chicken-paprikash/.UssRiYzKGv8.facebook

Clean eating Chicken Paprikash for dinner tonight. While I was making it it was smelling delicious. It wasn't really looking too delicious as I made the sauce. I spooned the sauce over my whole grain orzo, diced the chicken up and put it on top. Then I added some sriracha just cause I like a zing. I mixed every thing up in my bowl thinking it will be OK for dinner. It was really quite tasty. Will I make it again... probably not, but it was good for a try.
  • tanyab1990
    Options
    One of my favorite clean recipes of all time is actually one of my own. I actually have a cooking website but have taken the last year off to focus on my health. My plan is to return to working on my website (and future career) with a healthier, clean eating focus. So, here's my fave: http://3-squaremeals.com/2011/10/04/greek-spiced-chicken-kebabs/

It was inspired by a trip to Greece. I add a clean eating Tzatziki (greek yogurt, finely diced or shredded cucumber, green onion, garlic, lemon juice, salt and pepper) and absolutely love it!

Let me know what you think!
  • mamarundrc
    mamarundrc Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    Last night we made Ginger and Lime shrimp. Typically we would make it on the grill but since it is in the single digits out I sauteed in a pan with olive oil. This recipes comes from a cookbook, Well Fed.

Ingredients
    1 lb uncooked shrimp, peeled and deveined
    1 tbsp fresh grated ginger
    3 cloves of garlic minced
    juice of 1 lime (~ 2 tbsp)
    1 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
    1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flake
    salt and pepper to taste
    1 tbsp olive oil (or oil of choice).

Combine ginger, garlic, lime juice, cilantro, crushed red pepper, and salt and pepper in a bowl or a ziplock bag. Mix well. Add shrimp and allow to marinate in the refrigerator for at least 20 minutes.

Heat up olive oil in a sautee pan over a medium high heat. Add shrimp and marinade to the pan and sautee until cooked through.

Enjoy :-)
  • tanyab1990
    Options
    That shrimp looks yummy! Thanks for sharing.
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    We have this quite a bit. Feel free to add salt, as I don't add salt to anything.

Ginger Glazed Salmon

3 tablespoons agave nectar or honey
    3 tablespoons soy sauce
    3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
    1/4 teaspoon ginger or 1 piece fresh ginger
    1 clove garlic, crushed
    2 teaspoons olive oil
    4 (6 ounce) salmon filets
    1/8 tsp lemon pepper
    1 tablespoon canola oil

Directions
    1. In a shallow glass dish, stir together the honey/agave, soy sauce, balsamic vinegar, ginger, garlic and olive oil. Season salmon fillets with lemon pepper, and place them into the dish. If the fillets have skin on them, place them skin side down. Cover, and refrigerate for 20 minutes to marinate.

2. Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Remove fish from the dish, and reserve marinade. Fry fish for 4 to 6 minutes on each side, turning only once, until fish flakes easily with a fork. Remove fillets to a serving platter and keep warm.

3. Pour reserved marinade into the skillet, and heat over medium heat until the mixture reduces to a glaze consistently. Spoon glaze over salmon, and serve immediately.
  • Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Like Shrimp Fried Rice

Sauté briefly, just until mushrooms are cooked and greens become bright green
    - 2 cup shredded cabbage
    - 1 cup chopped kale
    - 2 green onion, sliced
    - 3 mushrooms sliced
    - 1 stalk celery sliced across finely
    - 2 cloves garlic minced

Put on top of brown rice (about a cup)

Top with:
    -Sauté salad shrimp in skillet add egg and scramble

Sprinkle with:
    -about 1 tsp lite soy sauce per serving
    - a drizzle of sesame oil
    - sesame seeds
    - red pepper flakes (opt)
    - a light drizzle of honey (opt. For those who like sweet stir fry)
  • kingscrown
    Options
    Yum. That sounds so good. I've made a pizza that's clean and I like. Now on to Shrimp "Fried" Rice.
  • Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Here is a salad made with a lot do the same ingredients. Good for saving money

Sushi resturant salad!

Ginger Carrot Dressing: (about 4 servings)

In your turbo blender combine the following and blend until smooth:
    1 carrot
    Juice of half an orange
    2 quarter sized slices of ginger
    I clove garlic
    1" wedge of onion (about 2 Tbsp)
    Dash lemon juice
    1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
    1/4 cup water

Salad:
    Shredded cabbage, at least a cup. I think some shredded kale would be good mixed in too.
    Cucumber sliced in sticks
    Sliced radishes
    (Any other veggies you want to throw in: sliced mushrooms, snow peas, etc.)
    Avocado chunks on top
    Green onion sliced
    Sesame seeds to garnish

Drizzle a few drops of sesame oil over the top before serving for fragrance.
  • Gooch_Tha
    Options
    My wife and I are the first of our friends and families to "Clean Eat"...we are still new, but our bodies are proving that we are making great decisions. We do not sell any products and are simply a husband and wife with our 1 year old son in a small town in Texas. We have an Instagram account for all of our foods that we consider "Clean".

If you are looking for some new recipes for Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Desserts, and Snacks please visit. You do not have to follow unless you think it will have something to offer you. The Instagram name is RAMOSNEWSPINONFOOD

Do not expect professional pictures and correct grammar, lol we are your everyday human beings...If you do follow, please let us know in some way you are from the Clean Eat Group...I would love to know. Thanks!