Hashimotos and Vitamin Deficiency

Options
I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's 7 years ago at age 18. Within the last 3 years I have found out that I am Vitamin D deficient, and Vitamin B12 deficient. I have to take a 50,000IU pill once a week, and was taking B12 Injections every 3 weeks (My B12 was initially at 270, which is the very low end of "normal") but I recently started taking OTC B12 instead because the shots were kind of a pain, and I wanted to see if this would work instead.

So, does any one else here have any Vitamin Deficiency along with Hashimoto's?

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I was severely D deficient. Don't know that they ever checked for B12.

I was on megadoses of D. Now I just take an OTC multivitamin + additional calcium.
  • Dlacenere
    Dlacenere Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Yes on both, I have to supplement D, my b12 came back up after supplementing for a while in the beginning
  • stonel94
    stonel94 Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    I had vitamin D but I corrected it with some vitamins and more D in my diet
  • ryanndavignon
    ryanndavignon Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I figure its all related but have actually never asked. I believe that my Vitamin D is a lot better now, and I believe it may have corrected itself as well as I usually only take the vitamin d when I remember, which is maybe 1 or 2 times a month versus the 4 times a month I'm supposed to take it, but it was just checked not too long ago and it was fine. So I take it here and there just in case. My B12 though I'm not sure what that level is at after starting the OTC B12. It was 570ish when I had it checked in Nov and That was without me having meds for 3 months.
    It's just so aggravating having to take so many meds. (I'm currently taking 5 medications) luckily 1 is OTC and inexpensive, and my birth control is free with my insurance so my 3 remaining meds are only 10 dollars through mail order, but still, I feel at 25 that I shouldn't be on this much medicine. But I do understand that they are necessary meds for me to take. Its all so annoying!

Thank you everyone for the replies!!!
  • kitchen0nfire
    kitchen0nfire Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I actually had my thyroid removed almost 3 years ago. One of my biggest complaint since then has been the vitamin D deficiency. I had extreme arthritis-like joint pain for years, even before the surgery, but it turned out that no only was I already vit D deficient, but they apparently nicked my parathyroids in the process a now I don't absorb vit D through my diet. I take OTC vit D, but I still have some joint pain flare ups. I've also had a lot of new/weird allergies since then that come and go. Just wonderful!!
  • hteepeg
    hteepeg Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I had my thyroid surgically removed 3 years ago. I have a slight vitamin D deficiency and B12 deficiency. I also have a pretty large iron deficiency. I take OTC D, B12, and iron. The vitamins are just a part of my routine. I recently had a bump in Tirosint, so I'm not feeling the best, but it could always be worse.
  • ECTexan
    ECTexan Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I've had Hashi's for 6yrs and I am also deficient in both D & B12. I had to have the rx strength D, can't remember how much it was now. And I am currently taking B12 shots. Sometimes my iron is low, but I've never had to do anything special to correct it yet.
  • steviecooke1985
    steviecooke1985 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about my vitamin D, but I found out I had really low B12 after going back to the docs as I was convinced my thyroid levels had gone awry again. However, all the symptoms that time were down to B12 - the extreme fatigue and mental fog were the worst. My iron levels were low, but not low enough to worry about. Doc said it was because I was veggie but now I wonder if there is a connection with Hashimotos? I can certainly feel when I haven't taken my B12. The doc told me the way to know if it's working is your pee should be neon green after you take the pill! Apparently thats the extra B12 you don't need from the supplement being flushed out! :laugh:
  • weirdmommy
    weirdmommy Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I do.. ANd they have been having a horrible time getting it right. I'm a redhead, hate the sun. So..i was on 50,000 once a week and 2,000 a day. I'm now on just the daily pill. ANd it's just about the bottom part of the number. So I look at things that have vit. d added. Good luck!!!!!
  • allergictodiets
    allergictodiets Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    It was discovered ( by accident ) in spring that I was severely Vit D deficient, so I'm on a daily 1000 UI pill. I struggle constantly with my iron levels, always hovering in the lower end of the "normal" range. I also take Vit. B complex and Zinc.
    My doctor says I'm "fine" btw. Lol.