Thinking about getting a sleeve. Have questions.

Options
I'll be 40 this year and I weigh about 315. I'm only 5 foot 2. I've been heavy my entire life but this is my heaviest. I've done weight loss plans before but every single time, I gain it all (plus more) back and therefore I'm terrified to do another diet. Luckily I do not have any blood pressure or sugar issues. (Nurses always about fall over when they see how low my blood pressure is). But I do have back problems and those are just getting worse. I'm just uncomfortable in my body. I'm absolutely terrified to have surgery (I have a 3 yr old and I need to be around for him) but I have to do something.

How likely is my insurance to pay for this? How much weight could I expect to lose? I don't have any illusions of weighing 116. I'd be THRILLED with weighing 180. Is that possible? I know this is not a cure, but a tool. Like I've said, I've lost weight before, I just can't keep it off.

I'm going to a seminar my hospital offers about bariatric surgery next Saturday. But how else can I research this?

Replies

• shoppinglady1972
    shoppinglady1972 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Well, you've taken the first step by attending a seminar!! Good for you, sometimes even making that choice is the most difficult part. I understand the fear, it is scary but no more than carrying extra weight that could cause so many problems in the future.
    I have no idea what insurance you have, but mine based my "sleeve" coverage on BMI. Depending on what your BMI is will probably determine what steps you need to take to have the surgery (all this should be explained in the seminar or in your insurance handbook.)
    I am a "newbie" (just sleeved on Dec. 30, 2013) and I was scared, too, but I finally decided that I couldn't live like that any longer, had to try it. So far, so good!! Well on my way to losing and I'm not scared anymore.
    It is true, that WLS is only a tool. Still takes a lot of learning and commitment to succeed, You can lose as much as you are determined to!!! :happy:
    Good luck to you, feel free to friend me!!!
  • sunkissedmomma
    Options
    Thank you!! What type if steps did you have to take before surgery?
    Well, you've taken the first step by attending a seminar!! Good for you, sometimes even making that choice is the most difficult part. I understand the fear, it is scary but no more than carrying extra weight that could cause so many problems in the future.
    I have no idea what insurance you have, but mine based my "sleeve" coverage on BMI. Depending on what your BMI is will probably determine what steps you need to take to have the surgery (all this should be explained in the seminar or in your insurance handbook.)
    I am a "newbie" (just sleeved on Dec. 30, 2013) and I was scared, too, but I finally decided that I couldn't live like that any longer, had to try it. So far, so good!! Well on my way to losing and I'm not scared anymore.
    It is true, that WLS is only a tool. Still takes a lot of learning and commitment to succeed, You can lose as much as you are determined to!!! :happy:
    Good luck to you, feel free to friend me!!!
  • dsjsmom23
    dsjsmom23 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I haven't had the surgery, but i've been looking into it. One website that I found is www.obesityhelp.com my friend, who has had the surgery recomended it to me. Her surgeon told her about it.
    Also I bought the book "Weightloss surgery for dummies" It's got a ton of information in it as well.

Not sure how it works where you are, but here, my doctor sent my refferal into my surgeon in June of 2012. I got the call in Dec 2013 (18 months later) that it's my turn. I go to my information session and get things started on Jan 15 (one month after I got the call)

I have been told that surgery usually happens within 6 months from when you start the program.
    I have to go through all the tests etc and be approved by the surgeon, and then my insurance company.

I was told that if my BMI is 40+ insurance will cover it, or if my BMI is 35+ with a comorbiditiy (I have high blood pressure) then insurance will cover it. (I'm in Canada *BC)

I have been on a diet program while waiting, and i've lost 33 pounds (I actually lost 55, but have yoyo'd and gained some back Grrrr!)
    I am going to hopefully keep losing (but not enough to go under 35 *I'm just at 40 now)

I will see what my surgeon has to say.

I'm super excited to be starting this journey!
  • reneemosley
    reneemosley Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Hey there. Well I am a strong supporter of the surgery. I had VSG 5/2012 and have lost 106 lbs. I am 5 foot and pre surgery weight was 297 and BMI 55. I am 45.I also suffered no comorbitibies. I did not have insurance to pay for surgery.

I have been on every diet and this is my second WLS. Been heavy my entire life.

Aside from feeling great my life has changed in so many ways. I run daily, I can participate in any activity without fear, I snowshoed up Mt Rainier yesterday.

Is it the solution? No.

You will have to work hard, change your ideas about healthy eating, and move. The surgery gives you the ability to see your actions can have results and it will motivate you to continue.

The hardest part is not surgery..........its changing you and soul searching.

If your ready for the (al)most hardest and most rewarding work you've done, its for you.

Choose your surgeon wisely and ask alot of questions.

Obesity help, bariatric pal, the world according to eggface, and 300 lbs down are all great places to gather info.

Your futgure is bright no matter your decision.
  • shoppinglady1972
    shoppinglady1972 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I had to do a 6 month weight loss program supervised by my doctor. My BMI was 38 so my insurance required that I have certain co-morbidities to have the surgery. I have high blood pressure, high cholesterol, high triglycerides and sleep apnea (requiring a cpap) so I was over qualified :grumble: . I think if BMI is 40 - 50 they still require the 6 month weight loss program but without the co-morbidities and a BMI of 50 they will just cover it. Keep in mind that this is MY insurance, check your handbook to see what your insurance requires. Also keep in mind that this is a huge decision, the 6 months I had to prepare was the best thing that I could have been offered...I will never regret having that time to prepare myself!!! (Goes really fast!)
  • thoughtaling76
    thoughtaling76 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I am 5'2" as well I had surgery in Oct 2012 I was 315 the day of surgery but my highest weight was around 330. I have lost 126 pounds. Attending a seminar is a wonderful place to start. I did not have to do a six month diet and my insurance did cover it... Good luck to you!!!!
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I had my surgery July 2011. I went to several seminars at several local hospitals and did a lot of research before deciding on the Gastric Sleeve. Frankly I had tried so many diets abd plans and failed that I wasn't even convinced surgery would work. The only thing I can say is I wish I had done this 10 years ago!

This tool is awesome and the best thing I have ever done for myself! I was approved based on weight alone. I am 5'7" and was 386 at my biggest. It's been 2.5 years now and I am down 153 pounds, to 233. I still have about 70 to go to my "ideal weight" which is 160. Frankly I will be happy to get and stay below 200. This many years out from suregery, it's hard for me to lose now, but I'm not ready to give up yet. I will hit my personal goal of less than 200.

This is a lifestyle change not just a diet. Yes you need to permanently change your eating habits, but you also need to permanently change you exercise habits as well. If you go back to not exercising and your old way of eating you will regain. My surgeon told me anyone can out eat any of the weight loss surgies and regain. So again, these are lifelong lifestyle changes. That will make you successful.

Good luck with your approval. Stay in touch if you have other questions. Like I said, the sleeve is an awesome tool and I have absolutely no regrets! Well other than waiting so long to do it! :smile:
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    WLS is a wonderful tool. The seminars will teach you a lot. I also recommend you attend some post surgery support groups so that you really see up close and personal what the process is like. Try to identify what your Kryptonite foods are and start dealing with them now. WLS will not cure a food addiction. If you are prepared to permanently let your problem foods go you can have some great success. However if you reincorporate all of your Kryptonite foods back into your life you will discover that anyone can out eat WLS. Foods made from ground grains were my Achilles Heel-especially rice noodles. One taste and I lost all control. I do not look forward to eating them again someday- I let them go. I have no plans to ever eat them again. They were killing me. Feel free to add me I have a open diary. I have lost around 44lbs since 11/20/13
  • specialemy
    specialemy Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Hi there!
    Going to the introduction seminar and learning about the surgery is definitely a good step. You can also keep in mind that you can still go through with the whole entire process and if you still are not convinced to have the surgery you can still decline the surgery, right up to the surgery date. There are preliminary steps health wise that you'll need to do if medical insurance is going to be used. But a good surgeon will also require some preliminary steps in order for the surgery to be safe as much as possible for you.

It is a tough choice - one I was terrified to make for myself as well. I do agree with others that have responded that now would be a good time to face what your food or behavior addictions are now. How you eat after the surgery will not be the same before it. All changes are for the better and the seminars you attend are there to educate you as much as possible about what is involved and what it takes to be successful. I also agree with "Mangopickle" that it's a good idea to go to a post-surgery group to find out how post-op patients are doing and how they are doing. Any information you learn will be valuable information for whatever decision you make for yourself. For years people I have talked to kept saying "lifestyle change". I never understood it, or wanted it to happen until I made the definite decision to have the surgery. Everyone has their own unique experience, but can share with you what they have gone through.

Have an open mind and listen, and definitely ask questions. Also, bring a list of questions you can ask the group as well. Feel free to add me. Take care!
  • suzee279
    Options
    I had my surgery at the end of Jan 2013. I did alot of reading, visited many websites including Vertical Sleeve talk and others mentioned here. I spoke with 3 different doctors and listened very carefully to the ones that I have a good relationship with and trust. Part of the program I am in, it is required you join their support group pre surgery and you commit to follow up with them for at least 2 years post surgery. I had other health issues including heart issues I was born with, high blood pressure and joint pain.

I will say this. It is not a magic pill, but rather an effective tool. You have to be willing to do the work and know that this is a lifestyle change for the rest of your life. But it works!! I have been heavy since I was 4 years old, and it was nearly impossible for me to lose weight. I began at 327 lbs and lost 25 lbs pre sugery. At almost one year post surgery I am now down a total of 117 lbs, and would like to lose another 30. My heart health is markedly better, and the high blood pressure is completely gone. I am now dealing with the joint issues, but am in such a better place to deal with it.

Do your research. Talk to people. Speak with doctors that you trust, and do what you feel is the best thing for you.

Good luck! And you would like to friend me for support, feel free!!

Susan
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Before I had my sleeve surgery, I spoke to a couple of people I know who has gastric bypass and struggled with regain. The one thing they both told me - do what you are SUPPOSED to do. They both said they got too comfortable and strayed. If you stick to eating and exercising they way you should, and make sure you don't get complacent, I think those are some of the biggest keys to success.
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Before I even started looking into WLS, I knew a few folks who'd had it. Two with R\Y, (one lost all his weight and is SUPER fit and active now, and the other lost over 100 lbs and has her life back, though she has a ways to go to "healthy". I also have a friend with a lap band who didn't fare so well, (weight regain and still can't eat normally). I had 100lbs to lose and decided on the sleeve over R\Y because I didn't want the malabsorption issues present with the bypass. My insurance paid most of the cost. I also happen to work for a great hospital and my employee benefit picked up the rest. I'm over half way there and based on what I've seen with my R\Y friends, I know the only way I'm going to get where I need to be is to not not get complacent. I have to work with the tool and maintain proper diet and exercise if I'm going to succeed long term. I've made a habit of getting up an hour early every morning to get my cardio on the elliptical. Next step is some kind of group class to take it to the next level. It's the only way I'll push myself.

Do your research. Most clinics have informational seminars and support groups. Go. Learn the good and the bad. This is a lifetime commitment. Good luck!
  • Helena_Handbasket
    Options
    I'm in Canada as well, and wondering if you have been able to get your surgery yet? I am in the weight wise program now, but I feel I am getting the run around. Quite frankly getting sick of meeting with nurses and dietician and psychologist. I am seriously considering finding private clinic/surgeon.
  • merobles827
    Options
    I am in the pre-op phase and my surgery is scheduled for 4/7. Most insurance companies cover the procedure but they have different copay and coinusrance costs. I recommend to call them first so you know what you are going to be getting into. I had 3 months of weigh-ins, where I needed to lose 16 lbs, I also needed cardio clearance, pysch clearance, letter of support from PCP, 2 year history of weight problems and to attend support groups. The program at my hospital helped with most of it. I was told that most people will lose between 60-70% of their excess body fat. But I don't know first hand I am really excited about starting the next phase.

Best of luck to you and your journey.
  • emmerin78
    emmerin78 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Hi there! My process was 13 months from first information session to surgery on 7/15/13. My surgeon's practice required life skills classes, post-surgery classes, appointments with psych, cardiology, pulmonology, endocrinology, and the nurse practitioner. My insurance required 6 months of medically supervised diet and exercise. Honestly, it felt like a lot of hoops to jump through, but now I'm really glad there were so many requirements because I felt as though I was really prepared for surgery and had a very smooth recovery since I was so ready to step into my new lifestyle. You are right in thinking that it is a tool and not a magic bullet; while some people lose large amounts steadily for the first 6 months after surgery, I've lost much smaller amounts, especially given that I ideally have a total of 220 lbs to lose. I've lost 85 lbs. thus far, and it's required an ongoing commitment to exercising and eating according to sleeve guidelines (i.e. protein, protein, protein, and then veggies and healthy carbs with whatever room you have left). I'm eight months out from surgery and at this point I could theoretically eat anything, but I am making the choice everyday to stick to my sleeve guidelines as much as possible, since I know my journey will be a marathon not a sprint. Keep talking to people who have had all sorts of sleeve experiences, check out BariatricPal.com (another good resource on all the bariatric procedures), and keep coming back here. Good luck!! :)
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Will insurance pay? It depends. I have Blue Cross and they require a BMI over 40 with no "co-morbidities", (weight related problems), and 35 with them. Your BMI is about 57 based on your height to weight ratio, and you have back problems, so there's a good chance it would be covered, but it totally depends on the insurance company. I had to do 6 months of "Dr assisted weight loss attempt" and have my PCP write a letter of recommendation, do a nutritionist visit and psych consult. I had a BMI of 36 with an armload of weight related issues and meds to treat them and I was approved the first time through..

The procedure its self went really well. I was released from the hospital after 24 hours, (normal is 48), took no narcotics to manage the pain and went back to work 10 days later. At 5 1/2 months out I've lost about 75% of my weight and wear a size 8. Seems unreal, but I have a few lbs to go before I hit the "healthy BMI" range. I hope to lose an even 100 lbs and level out at 135 lbs.

So it went really well, I'm healthy and happy and comfortable in my own skin now, but I work at it every day. I log every bite in My Fitness Pal. If I don't, I don't get the nutrition I need, (75g of protein). When I get busy and unfocused, I tend to under eat, and get dehydrated so I'm more food focused now than when I was "dieting". I burn at least 600 calories 5+ days per week in cardio exercise. I do it at 4:30 AM before work because I know I won't feel like it afterwards. Believe it or not this is actually something I enjoy now.

So can it work? Absolutely! But you have to "work it"! Good luck!
  • tmccoy723
    Options
    I am also going to be 40 this year and just got approved to go through the bariatric weight loss program at Kaiser. I'm lucky because if I decide to have surgery, my insurance will cover it. I am going to my first class tomorrow morning and and am nervous and excited to learn more about the surgery. I'm also looking in to what I should be doing in order to prepare for surgery. There are five people in my life who have had surgery (1 lap band, 1 r/y, and 3 sleeve) and all are doing great. Being able to talk to them and see what's going on with them with my own eyes is what has given me the strength to make this difficult decision. I've always wanted to be that person that could lose 100 lbs on their own, but I haven't been able to, so I'm checking out this route. I know it's going to be a lot of hard work still, but it seems to be the best chance for me to lose weight and keep it off forever. It's been great to be on MFP and to read about other people's experiences and to get support. I hope that you're doing well, whatever you've decided to do. =)
  • candacet36
    candacet36 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I was sleeved September 12, 2014.....

This is THE BEST THING THAT I HAVE EVER DONE FOR MYSELF!!!

This is the not the magic cure but it is the best tool ever!

Feel free to message me if you have questions!
  • fire_Falcon
    Options
    Best advice. It is a GREAT tool. The I was sleeved on 3/19 and started my phase 3 eating. LOVING IT. Loose pants and all.
  • MBSNANA
    MBSNANA Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Hello, I was sleeved December 30,2013. It is the best decision I ever made. My insurance paid but I had several hoops to jump through. I started with my family doctor the year before and lost 35 pounds with him. Then there was a required support meeting [which I still attend to get some good information], I had a seminar that discussed all the different surgeries so I decided on the sleeve. I had to have 3 educational classes discussing what to expect and how my life needed to change, phsy visit, a visit with a cardiologist, a blood specialist [since I form blood clots easy], colon checked out, barium swallow test. Probably more. I saw every doctor at the hospital. I was checked from head to toe. I just told myself it was all for my safety. It also gave me time to keep reading thru my notebook from the educational classes. With the weight loss center I lost 30 pounds before surgery and 30 pounds after. I was getting upset that I had not lost more until I stop to figure that was 30 pounds in 3 months. I obsess over the numbers on the scales which my doctor has told me no scales in my house.

I have gone from a size 26/28 before surgery to now a size 22 that is getting to big. This is the best decision I ever made but not the easiest. I can remember after surgery not being hungry but needing to eat to get in my protein. Then the hunger came back. That is where the work really starts.

Before surgery I started out [with my family doctor] weighing 345 pounds. Like I said I lost 35 pounds with his help, I started at the weight loss center weighing 310 pounds and now I weighed in last week at 250 pounds for a total of 95 pounds. I have a jar I put beautiful colored stones in. 1 stone for every pound.

Before surgery I had high blood pressure, high cholesterol, very high bmi, sleep apnea, history of blood clots, retaining fluid in my legs, seizures, acid reflux. I love my new life style. My favorite saying is I am a work in progress with God's help. Feel free to friend me if you want.

Good luck on your journey.
    Kaye