Eating after coming out of a fast

Options
delta229
delta229 Posts: 29 Member
I am into day three of a minimum 20 day water fast, followed by a 10 day, "Reprogramming" period. Being into Keto for two full months ahead of time makes fasting simple. I'm starting to put together a plan on how to break my fast and how to reprogram my eating habits and dietary choices after the fast. I read a lot of "Advice" on the web about breaking from a long fast.
I am looking for anyone who has done a significant fast and how they broke from it. As far as the reprogramming is concerned, I plan on moving to more frequent, smaller quantity meals focused on better choice foods such as Grass Fed Beef, Hormone Free Foods, Organic where possible.
Comments and observations are appreciated. Please feel free to add me as a friend to keep up with my fasting progress and the data.

Michael Bell
Olympia, Washington, USA

Replies

• cchild2
    cchild2 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I did a 100 hour fast (was already in ketosis) and came out of it poorly. I ate a normal meal for me and was in the bathroom several times afterwards. I tried looking online for best ways to come out of an extended fast and didn't find much useful. Everything seemed to be geared to vegeratian or just plain high carb diet.

I plan on doing another fast in a few months and when I start back eating, I plan on start with maybe a 1/4 or 1/3 of a meal first, then after a few hours a 1/2 sized meal. I do drink homemade bone broth in the mornings when I fast too.
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    You might want to check out places that focus on fasting - this isn't really part of a keto diet.

Over on reddit -
    http://www.reddit.com/r/fasting/

If you go to Groups here on MFP and search for fasting, there are quite a few that show up there as well.
  • CBDoll
    CBDoll Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I am into day three of a minimum 20 day water fast, followed by a 10 day, "Reprogramming" period. Being into Keto for two full months ahead of time makes fasting simple. I'm starting to put together a plan on how to break my fast and how to reprogram my eating habits and dietary choices after the fast. I read a lot of "Advice" on the web about breaking from a long fast.
    I am looking for anyone who has done a significant fast and how they broke from it. As far as the reprogramming is concerned, I plan on moving to more frequent, smaller quantity meals focused on better choice foods such as Grass Fed Beef, Hormone Free Foods, Organic where possible.
    Comments and observations are appreciated. Please feel free to add me as a friend to keep up with my fasting progress and the data.

Michael Bell
    Olympia, Washington, USA

Hi Michael,

I did a 21 day water fast about 4 years ago and vowed that I would never do it again. Fasts for longer than 7 days usually require physician supervision - basically I almost killed myself by depleting my Potassium & Sodium levels and ended up in ER for extreme dehydration even though I'd been drinking a ton of water.

My experience caused me to gain about 13 pounds overnight due to water regain and not easing back into eating proper foods (13 pounds from the IV fluids). By the way I lost 27 pounds from the fast and put all of it back on in water bloat in one week.

I do feel that if I would have taken supplements during the fast, I may have had a different experience.

Carrie (I'm also in Washington State! :-) )
  • delta229
    delta229 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Yes... anyone consider a long term fast need to understand their own health and discuss it with a doctor. Being that I am an Emergency Medical Instructor I have the advantage of being able to track my vitals, glucose and Ketone levels. Plus I have the benefit of free lab services to have my blood work done. I watch all of markers and bail out at first sigh of trouble or I adjust supplements as needed. No one should ever take the risk without total understanding of the process, the effect on the body and how to come out.