What are your goals?

Options
IrateBeth
IrateBeth Posts: 42 Member
2013: so many changes have already happened. WFTDA Rule Sets & Rankings, leagues starting, leagues merging, all star transferring here there and everywhere!
It's a lot to take in. A lot to absorb. And next year it will likely change again.

So... what are your goals for 2013 on the track (or off the track)? What are your team goals? (note: I am not looking for anything beyond "to rock!" or "to win!" etc... so no need to spill secrets).

Me?
This may be my retiring season. I want to remember I love this sport. I want to skate my final game with my heart swelling with love and pride. I also want to skate 30 laps in 5 minutes, and jam once with a grand slam under my belt (I am a blocker, but once in a while... I wanna skate the other side).
For my team(s): I want to see the B-team I am on win 99% if not 100% of their games. I want to see my home team take the championship. I want to see my teams succeed.

For Roller Derby as a whole, I want to see more Sports overage in the news, and less "Feel-Good-Mom-By-Day" reporting.

How about you?

Replies

• Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I get paranoid about making too specific goals, and then failing, and then being disappointed.

1. Nail 25 in 5. This will be huge for me IF I can do it. I want some rufflebutz when I do!
    2. Pass WFTDA assessments before Thanksgiving. Cuz that means I get to skate in our town's Thanksgiving Parade. I want!

And I agree...enough of the "she's a devoted wife and mother by day yet by night, she puts on her fishnets and skates and does roller derby." *eyeroll*
  • twilightlvr79
    twilightlvr79 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    My goal is to pass my minimum skills tests and to hopefully make the team.
  • Britt_Duffy
    Britt_Duffy Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    My goal is to be back skating by the end of 2013.
  • aspenamy
    Options
    My goal is to be rostered and play in an all star bout! (and do well when i get the chance!)
  • BreakingBackSunday
    Options
    I want to do 27 laps in 5 minutes. I want to jam in a bout (I jam at practice all the time, but in a bout? Never). I want to improve my footwork and my stability when a jammer is pushing on me.

My team is going through a major rebuilding year. We've lost three veteran skaters who were a big part of our team, and I want every girl on the team to feel like we can do this without them. I want us to have a team where no one ever says "Oh, we would've done better if so-and-so were still here." I want us to be the kind of team where, even if we lose, we still say "there's no way we could've tried any harder or done any better."
  • violet_sphinx
    violet_sphinx Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    2013 is a crazy year for me. My personal and professional life has gone a bit crazy and I stopped skating for about three months due to illness and being busy, so I'm starting nearly from scratch fitness-wise and can't commit as much time to derby. My goals this year are to build my fitness up even better than it was before, work on fine-tuning skills like transitions, backward skating and agility, and to not get sick again this year! (You hear that, body???)
  • StVal
    StVal Posts: 91
    Options
    My year of ME starts in 2014. First starters, the first goal is the big move across country to Baltimore, MD. Excited, to say the least. But for now, I am building a strong ME. Gym for 2 hours a day, 5 days a week. Watching my diet, for the most part. And adding in skate days to help build my derby ready body back up. But lastly, joining CCRG in 2014 (just gotta keep busting my rearend). And meet some nice friends in Baltimore, that's a huge goal for me.
  • jillybeansalad
    jillybeansalad Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I am moving so I will be joining a WFTDA league. They are an original league, but have fallen a bit in the rankings with the new structure. I want to help them get to Division 2 playoffs in 2014. Then I am considering after 2-3 years to tryout for Denver or Rocky Mtn. I'm still playing everything by ear, there's a lot of uncertainty in my professional life... just part of the game.

So, I need to stay "significant" injury free and up my game and keep learning. I have a lot of cross-training to do once I move into my new house and put together my new gym. :)
  • Panda_Rolls
    Panda_Rolls Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I just want to pass the minimum skills and skate in a real bout. Seems like every time I get close to passing the test I hurt something! Oh, and also think of a super awesome name that isn't already @#$%# taken.
  • HurricaneLindsay
    HurricaneLindsay Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    We've just started a league, so the goal is to keep recruiting and get everyone to minimum skills!

Personally I want to get to the level of our experienced skaters and up my coaching skills.
  • blunder_bolt
    blunder_bolt Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Minimum skills+
    Hand signals test+
    Rules test+
    Calls Test+
    =Trainee/rookie Ref,

Then onto reffing scrims
  • unskinnywop
    Options
    My goals this season are to better my fitness level and try to encourage my entire team to do the same. My team is amazing and our team goal is to make it to Div 2 playoffs in 2014. This is a very reachable goal for us if we continue down the same path we've been this season. I hope my healthy eating and working out habits not only improves myself (im getting there), but will start a chain reaction with the rest of my team. I can hit 30 in 5, so maybe I'll make a goal of 32 by 2014! I also turn 40 this month so hopefully I don't start falling apart!
  • MauxFaux
    Options
    This year I'm going to become a kick *kitten* jammer.
  • blunder_bolt
    blunder_bolt Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    2014: Become ref
    2015: join or form Mens team :)
  • elisegeringer
    elisegeringer Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    2014 goals: 30/5, apex jumping, unstoppable blocking and jamming like crazy!
  • kittyxaus
    kittyxaus Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    2014 goals: Get back to the fitness I had as a player
    Ref games outside my league.....ie. be brave!
    Ref at The Great Southern Slam in Adelaide in June! played the first one, NSOed the second so third time....
  • MsErieMachine
    MsErieMachine Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    2014 goals:
    -It was to get 27/5... I did it! Sooo... I want to get 29/5 by the end of the year.
    -I'm a blocker, but I want to improve my jamming skills.
    -To make A team roster.
    -To jump over people. ;) (that's more of a mind over matter thing.)
  • MemphisHellFire
    MemphisHellFire Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    firstly i want to get back on track after my 4th broken bone, and then i want to improve my reaction speed, get my strength back up, get 35 in 5, put some toe stops on (iv never skated with toe stops) improve my blocking skills as im a jammer and pass my referee test :) i think its do-able!
  • dorkus619
    Options
    My goals for this season are:
    > go all out 100% with my fitness - get in the best shape I can
    > Improve jumping & footwork (more apex jumps)
    > Get ranked with my team (we are new WFTDA!!)

-Point Setta
  • archintrain
    archintrain Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    goals for 2014:
    (derby)
    ~work on skating skills
    ~get in shape/work on my endurance
    ~27/5
    ~pass minimum skills test
    (non derby)
    ~build more muscle