Fears about going back to college 2 wks after surgery

Options
Hey guys! My surgery is on Dec 30th and I have to go back to college on the Jan 12th. I guess if I am being real I am just scared. I go away to school at a private college with a really bad dining hall and crazy schedule. Honestly I would love nothing more than to be at home with my support system and my doctors office and my family. I'm not sure why I am posting this, but I am reaching out for anything...maybe words of comfort, advice, tips, and personal experience . I don't want anything to go wrong while I am away or fail.

Replies

• rubisliprz
    rubisliprz Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Good Morning! What a wonderful gift you're giving yourself this year. Do some planning now for when you go back to school so you can stay on track and have what you need prepared and handy. At each stage of food you get to, find what you tolerate well and be sure to have that when you need to be out and about at class. As you reintroduce new foods, you may want to do that when you are home so you can be fully relaxed and eat very slowly. That was the hardest part when I went back to work... not taking the time to go slow. Its so easy to get caught up in the pace of those around you. You'll do great... and we're just a few clicks away!
  • Agate69
    Agate69 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I would get a blender, or magic bullet and a dorm size refridge. So many of your first foods need refridge ration. Practice all the hints, chewing, separating food and water. Make sure you have a reliable source of protein. Good luck to you.
  • arielleigh213
    arielleigh213 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys!! :)
  • 13turtles
    13turtles Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    You will be fine with planning. A blender, or even a blender ball for when you are on the go are must haves. Also, be sure to sleep whenever you get the chance. You will need the rest as your body heals. If you are on the move due to scheduling, get a insulated lunchbox with a cold pack, make up several protein shakes and go. The first few weeks are typically liquids on most eating plans. Do make sure you are staying on your recommended eating plan. You will not eat much once you do start on solid foods, so pack in small bunches. I got a laptop lunchbox which had several smaller containers so I could pack for the day and have options. I'm a teacher, so eating around a crazy schedule was a part of my experience as well. Finally, eat slowly and drink a ton! You will be fine! Good luck!
  • klhacker23
    klhacker23 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    These are all great suggestions. Make sure to talk with your dining hall manager and see what they can do to provide special meals for you. I had my surgery while in college and my dining staff was able to help create meals that would work for me.
  • angelaanhela
    angelaanhela Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Get a good thermos that is both good for hot and cold. They have them in all sizes and then you can make a cold green smoothie (be careful with not alot of fruit since that will be probably too much sugar) or a warm soup and carry it around in your purse/backpack all day. Depending on your thermos you buy it can keep its temp for 6-12-24 hours. I had to do this when I had school and then work all day.
  • Tristaan
    Tristaan Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Warm soups and herbal teas this time of year is an excellent idea! Also, for me anyway, warm or room temperature liquids seem to go down easier.
  • sashahanrahan
    sashahanrahan Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I teach at a university and had my surgery the Tuesday before Thanksgiving. I returned to class on the following Monday. It was actually quite rough for about two weeks, but the important thing to note is that IT GETS BETTER. You may possibly be very tired and emotionally stressed with the change. Be sure to drink LOTS of fluid so you do not become dehydrated and keep a protein source on you at all time. Good luck!