Had my first really bad run. :(

Options
hteepeg
hteepeg Posts: 64 Member
It was bound to happen but I feel tremendously defeated. I wasn't even supposed to run today. I was supposed to go to my karate class. My instructor had a sub and I just wasn't feeling it. I decided I would go for a run instead. I was looking forward to W7D1. I got in my winter gear and took the walk in the snow over to the gym. I got on the treadmill and did my 5 minute warm up. I started my 25 minute run and within 2 minutes, I was hating it. The outside of my calves were burning. Another 2 minutes and they were on fire. 1 more minute and I dropped down to a walk and did another 10 minutes of walking at varying inclines.

I don't know what happened but I feel like crap. I have a lot of excuses. Only half the lights were on in the gym so it felt like running in a dungeon. A boy who couldn't have been more than 12 was bathed in Axe body spray and trying to impress his girlfriend who was dressed in something a little bigger than a bikini. He was standing above her as she did sit-ups into his crotch and texted constantly. I'm hormonal. I've spent the whole day doing homework in between meetings.

There are tons of excuses but none of them help me feel like I big ol' yuck. Maybe I should have waited until my scheduled day tomorrow?

Replies

• AnnaE
    AnnaE Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Probably... One of the "rules" of C25K is not to run every day. rest and recovery is also important. If I try and run 2 days in a row my Achilles will tell me what a bad idea that was.. But don't beat yourself up: we all have crap runs, and hey, you were trying!.
    If I were you I wouldn't try again on the scheduled day, but wait till the next day and have at it with a day of rest under your belt.
  • _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    It happens to everyone. Don't get to bent out of shape about it. Like you said you just weren't feeling it. I've had that happen several times. Try again tomorrow :flowerforyou:
  • hteepeg
    hteepeg Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I usually run on Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday. I do karate on Monday and Wednesday. I missed Friday because I promised my daughter I would take her to Chuck E Cheese. The last time I ran was Thursday. We had a snowstorm this weekend, so we were stuck in the house most of the weekend (except when we went out and made snow angels). Maybe after a good night of sleep I will feel better.

I gotta shut down my internal pity party.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Bad runs happen. They just do. Stretch your calves. Slow down. Sleep. Hydrate. Make sure you're getting enough carbs. They'll still happen sometimes. Your next will be better.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Getting to week 7 until your first bad one isn't at all bad.

Bad runs happen, sometimes we know why, sometimes there is no known explanation.

Personally I wouldn't use the word excuse, I'd generally position a bad run as a reason, in the same way as a good run has a reason.

A couple of weeks ago I went out without fuelling beforehand, burned out after about 15 minutes. About 8 weeks back I went out tired, having just had a week in India and still very jetlagged. I ended up walking about 8 of the planned 10Km. On reflection I understand both.

Last night I did a PB for 5K, and put it down to the cadence that I was running at, following a discussion about that subject on here.

Don't worry about it, move on.