When to stretch?

Options
Hello everyone so decided to give the programme a go. First session was a bit of a disaster my phone and ipod went dead so kinda had to jut estimate the timings. And it was lashing down but I stuck with it and it's a lesson learnt for next time.

Anyway I've read so many stories about people getting various injuries through not stretching before running and as I'm a nurse I really can't afford to pull a muscle or put my back out as I'm on my feet alot. So my questions when to stretch? I was planning to stretch in my house before heading o but I have to drive to the area I run in? Is this ok? It won't make much difference if I do my stretches then drive for about five minutes and then start into the programme?

Hope this makes sense, thanks for any help?

Replies

• PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Primarily you should stretch after you run. You don't want to do static stretches on cold muscles. The 5 minute warm-up walk will loosen your muscles up for you and prepare you to run. After you're done, do a good stretch. If you want to do some kind of stretching before you can do dynamic stretches (like leg swings).
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I do a warmup routine that includes some dynamic stretches before I run. In terms of stretching for mobility, etc, I never have time after a run, so I do three regular sessions a week - after lifting or on my rest day - where I stretch.
  • AnnaE
    AnnaE Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    If you don't stretch anything else immediately after running, find time to stretch the calves and (gently) Achilles. Shin splints are the beginner runner's biggest enemy I reckon.