deadlift HELP

Options
Hey!

So i have recently started lifting heavy ( about 1 1/2 m ) and while im getting on well with my squats and bench i am having serious deadlift problems. i can't seem to get my form right, despite it being better than it was when i started, im still scared to put anything to heavy on it.

I am fine on the way up but as soon as i go to put it down my shoulders/ upper back round and i tend to bend my arms

I have a friend i lift with regularly and my bf been lifting for about 2yrs and no suggestions from them have been unable to stop it.

Anyone else experience this problem? or know how i can correct it? any accessory lifts i can do that might help?

Thanks

Replies

• Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    Can you post a video?
  • living_life
    Options
    yeah probably, might need to wait till the end of the week though , going tomorrow on my own and i dont think i'll be able to position my phone anywhere
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    I put mine in a shoe!

Best guess which could be totally off with no video is that your butt stays up on the decent, and you end up carrying the weight with your upper back this causing shoulders to round.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Not trying to be a smartazz....but you put the weight down the same way you put it up, but in reverse obviously.

As already stated, impossible to tell you for sure what to fix without a video...
  • living_life
    Options
    its more of a space issue but i'll try.

and yeah i've tried putting it down the way it goes up but my body doesn't seem to agree on how it went up.

i'll post a video tomorrow night or sunday
  • AntnNicsMom
    AntnNicsMom Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Sounds silly but have you tried watching yourself in the mirror?
  • UpperBodyLowerBody
    UpperBodyLowerBody Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    What do you mean when you say bend your arms? If you put heavier weight on there, you shouldn't be able to bend your arms at all because it'll be too heavy. Much like putting weight on a squat bar, it is easier than not having any weight on... it helps with the balance and control.

If you are having trouble with a standard deadlift position, I really suggest you try sumo deadlifts. The posture is much easier to accomplish. When you are at the top of the rep, do not lean forward. Don't drop with the chest... push your *kitten* back and skim the bar down your shins. There should be no way you can bend your arms doing so.

Hope this helps. :)
  • ukgirly01
    ukgirly01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Are you using a barbell? Try lifting with a frame ( not sure of the proper name but you stand in it and lift from handles at the side- its heavier than a bar - 30kgs) it really helps with my form
  • traceyjj
    traceyjj Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Are you using a barbell? Try lifting with a frame ( not sure of the proper name but you stand in it and lift from handles at the side- its heavier than a bar - 30kgs) it really helps with my form
    I think thats a trap bar, its what I use sometimes for deadlifts.

My trainer told me to look at myself in the mirror, and imagine I had a name badge on my chest that I wanted people to see. They cant see it when its pointing down, only when your shoulders are back and not rounded. THAT seems to work for me.
  • Hazelnut79
    Hazelnut79 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I've been working on my deadlift form with my personal trainer. When we first started, he would hold a PVC pipe against my lower back/between my shoulder blades/back of my head to help me get the feeling of keeping my back aligned properly. We started with stiff legs, and once I got that movement down without having to think about it to much we moved on to regular deadlifts and did the same thing. Maybe you could get a friend to do this.

This video shows a similar approach, just so you can get the idea: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5qcN_w_m8c