Checking in 01-08-14

Options
Hello my lovely people! Just checking up on you guys, seeing how everyone's doing overall.

I'm curious...
What occurred when the light bulb went off for you regarding taking your weight loss journey? Why now, or whenever you started? Did you just get fed up? Was it a scare from your doctor? Did a loved one/friend "stage an intervention?"

Replies

• RosieRaz
    RosieRaz Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'm doing it for me. I've been in a weight loss competition with two other friends where we actually have money in the pot for a prize. I am here for motivation to win the contest with my friends but also as a back up in case they are not so motivated, I do not have to rely on them.

My mom had the intervention with me a while back, which sadly(?) is my UGW now. LOL Oh well.

Tell us about your reasons.
  • traume
    traume Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately I think I've always been on a weight loss journey since by teenage years, but I keep finding excuses. This last year I worked hard on the exercise and strength, but didn't get to where I wanted to. It was the realization that there is no magic pill and I need to make changes throughout my life. Plus seeing my son heavier than what he should be, I want him to learn the better options sooner in life than I did.
  • HOPEPATRICK74
    HOPEPATRICK74 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I just decided I was fed up with my belly hanging over my jeans. I want to shop for cute clothes, and no matter how you talk it up plus size clothing is not cute. I try to dress slimming but, that doesn't work either. My huband told me he doesn't care how I look he will always love me, but I have noticed the amount of "attention" he used to pay has gone down a lot. I want to be healthy for me, and for my family.
  • chasethesky125
    Options
    My graduation is coming up! And also, I've realized it's getting much easier now! I just have to eat when I feel hungry, not when I *want* to eat. Then I've dropped the "all or nothing" mentality, which is probably the only reason I'm still on a "diet" right now
  • boulevardMto180
    Options
    My day is going well. Today's my first day back to work since starting the challenge. I've done everything to steer clear of the sweet temptations in the cafeteria. So I'm feeling good about that.

For me, I was tired of being tired... literally! I was always tired, no matter how much sleep I got. Tired when I woke up, tired during the day and tired at night ...7 days a week. My skin was looking horrible and hair was thinning. I knew it had all to do with my poor eating habits and never drinking water. Enough was enough and now I'm here!!!
  • KBoddu
    KBoddu Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    For me I have had many reasons to start losing weight. Lost weight for my wedding then gained it all back... Lost weight for graduation then gained it back the semester before I graduated... Now I am losing weight for myself. I want to be as healthy as possible when my husband and I start trying to get pregnant in August. I finally have the mindset that I need to lose weight for my health and that is a nice feeling! Not just to look good in pictures. ;)
  • HOPEPATRICK74
    HOPEPATRICK74 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    My day is going well. Today's my first day back to work since starting the challenge. I've done everything to steer clear of the sweet temptations in the cafeteria. So I'm feeling good about that.

For me, I was tired of being tired... literally! I was always tired, no matter how much sleep I got. Tired when I woke up, tired during the day and tired at night ...7 days a week. My skin was looking horrible and hair was thinning. I knew it had all to do with my poor eating habits and never drinking water. Enough was enough and now I'm here!!!

I hear ya on this, I am always tired. I didn't put it together until you posted this. I can even sleep in, which for me is 7AM, and go to bed early like at 10PM and it never seems to be enough.
  • Fodao
    Fodao Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    It was a combination of things for me. I just came out of a yearlong slump (thanks to my choosing to stay in a caustic relationship with a selfish, manipulative person) with bad habits that included: heavy drinking (I have a history of alcohol abuse, unfortunately), reckless eating (I was binging 1-2 times a day), and 2 months ago I was put on blood pressure meds for the first time in my life (I'm 38.)

Despite having graduated college with my Bachelor's degree 10 months ago, I had let a lot of my successful momentum slip away, and I was stagnating. I wasn't looking forward to anything, and I had let my professional endeavors sit on the back burner, untended (I'm lucky they didn't burn up altogether!) But what really broke my heart was realizing that for the first summer in 15-20 years, I hadn't done ANY camping, hiking or fishing last year.

Around Christmastime I was lying in bed hung over, waiting for my roommate to leave for work so I could get up (I'm always paranoid of the reeking booze smell during a hangover), and something snapped. All this damage in just the previous year -- I couldn't afford another year of it.

So the weight loss thing is one part of a larger collection of changes to re-structure (re-capture?) my life from self-imposed disaster. It's all about building a new set of habits, taking care of myself, and re-engaging myself with the activities and people that I love.
  • Fodao
    Fodao Posts: 63 Member
    Options

I noticed this as well with myself! Nearly every day I'd want to take a nap just a few hours after I woke up because I had no energy--even if I slept for 11-12 hours. If I didn't have anything to do that day, those naps would sometimes span 2-3 hours. It was totally freaking me out...
  • TaraRichardson913
    TaraRichardson913 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I have no idea how I got THIS big.
    I thought I was big last year when I started mfp but now I'm worse and it is TIME TO GET SERIOUS. I am seriously concerned for my likelihood of getting diabetes since my grandmother and great aunt had it. I want to feel good about myself and spread that to other people. I want to fit into cute clothes. I want to feel strong and do pushups.
    So, it was more of a gradual decision but now I'm more determined!
  • AtLeastOnceMore
    AtLeastOnceMore Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    After a crazy year, I finally graduated from my Masters degree and got professional photos taken and went "Oh, man. That's not good". The last photos I had of myself were taken on holiday, when I was hiking and snorkelling and kayaking my way around the Whitsundays for a week, and (oddly enough) I looked fine then. Unfortunately, the last term of school turned out to be horrifically hard - a colleague and close friend passed away suddenly, my 20,000 word thesis was due, my year 10's went completely off the reservation and started bullying me, saying goodbye to my students and colleagues after my contract expired was so difficult, and I just ate, and ate, and ate. Now, despite IBS flares and associated gut issues, I'm finally feeling strong enough to tackle this. I think it just needed to be the right time, and now that I know most of what was making me sick (and decimating my metabolism) I can control it much better.
  • kaylin_hester
    Options
    My family is eat up with high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes, cancer, and arthritis. I got fed up with crying when I couldn't fit my clothes and feeling intimidated by skinny people!! It was time for me to be happy with myself!!
  • kamikazikelli
    kamikazikelli Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm doing this for me, for finally the right reasons. I've struggled with self-image and body issues for years. I developed an eating disorder (restrictive bulimia) in high school as a result of depression and extremely poor self-image. My weight fluctuated a lot over the past 8 years. I would stop purging and gain weight. I would start dieting and lose weight, only to gain it back again. I always tried to control my weight issues with my eating disorder. I never pursed being healthy, I was just obsessed with being thin.
    For the past two years, I have been in recovery from my eating disorder and trying to live healthier. But, being in college has gotten in the way a lot. As my self-esteem grew, I grew comfortable and still didn't pursue a healthy lifestyle. When I noticed my self-esteem was struggling and I had a relapse of my eating disorder, I knew I wanted to pursue a healthy lifestyle. I do want to lose weight, but my main goal is being healthy and happy. I have set realistic goals broken into realistic time frames. I am not obsessing over my food or calories. I am just focused on eating correct portions and exercising more. So far, things are going well.
  • lilmidnightwolf
    lilmidnightwolf Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I am doing this for ME! I have always been having a weight issue since I had my kids which was over 20 something yrs ago. I have tried many different things to lose the weight and belly but they always failed. I was on Curves Complete last year and lost the weight only to gain it back after 4 months BUT it wasn't from overeating or eating junky food it was due to my thyroid which gave me the weight back. I am once again on this journey but working it differently and with more motivation and hopefully support. I am also going to get my thyroid rechexed in Feb because I don't think my meds are working. Even though my husband loves the way I am..he is very supportive and that's awesome for me!!
  • anitbit
    anitbit Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm doing it for me. I am tired of hating the way I look, I don't like shopping for clothes, and I have low self esteem.

I have not been doing good these past few days, I haven't felt good & I haven't worked out. I am starting to feel better & I plan on working out tomorrow.
  • TMF1123
    TMF1123 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    everything in my closet, including my underwear, was uncomfortable.
  • sharebear2012
    sharebear2012 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Read all your posts and they are very inspiring reasons to get on the journey. Like many of you I have fought the battle of the bulge all my life. My last major weight loss was in 2007 when I dropped 30 pounds (sounds like not much but I am only 5'2" and that is a lot of weight on my frame!). I was so happy at that weight, I looked and felt good and had a great wardrobe. I have yo-yoed 3x since, I am now up 12 pounds. My husband mentioned to me that it is really showing. My clothes don't fit and I refuse to buy another new wardrobe! When I lost in 2007 I got rid of all of my fat clothes and made a pact with myself that I would never buy those sizes again. I have been making excuses for some time. I did have some legitimate injuries that prevented exercise that contributed but mostly I just got sloppy. That is my learning.......eating mindlessly is NEVER ok, it will always catch up with you. This group and site are such a great support system. I think I can do this with your support! Some of your stories are so inspiring.
  • AtLeastOnceMore
    AtLeastOnceMore Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I'm doing this for me, for finally the right reasons. I've struggled with self-image and body issues for years. I developed an eating disorder (restrictive bulimia) in high school as a result of depression and extremely poor self-image. My weight fluctuated a lot over the past 8 years. I would stop purging and gain weight. I would start dieting and lose weight, only to gain it back again. I always tried to control my weight issues with my eating disorder. I never pursed being healthy, I was just obsessed with being thin.
    For the past two years, I have been in recovery from my eating disorder and trying to live healthier. But, being in college has gotten in the way a lot. As my self-esteem grew, I grew comfortable and still didn't pursue a healthy lifestyle. When I noticed my self-esteem was struggling and I had a relapse of my eating disorder, I knew I wanted to pursue a healthy lifestyle. I do want to lose weight, but my main goal is being healthy and happy. I have set realistic goals broken into realistic time frames. I am not obsessing over my food or calories. I am just focused on eating correct portions and exercising more. So far, things are going well.

Kami, first off just let me say that I am SO proud of you for all the progress you've made towards dealing with your eating disorder. Secondly, please know that you are more than welcome to message me (I am a recovering bulimic who hasn't engaged in ED bulimic behaviours for 10 years) if you feel you need some extra support. Thirdly: Go you! I have total faith you can do this! *high five*
  • Spambo16
    Spambo16 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    So the weight loss thing is one part of a larger collection of changes to re-structure (re-capture?) my life from self-imposed disaster. It's all about building a new set of habits, taking care of myself, and re-engaging myself with the activities and people that I love.

Go Fodao! Wishing you well on your reboot!

For me, I had gained weight gradually over the years, and then yo-yo'd down and back up a couple of times. The last time before MFP, I had just been diagnosed as borderline diabetic, and formed a weight loss group at work. I dropped 25 lbs., but then started creeping back up when I changed jobs and was back to full time travel every week, until I was almost back where I started. I joined MFP in 2012 with a group of IRL friends, and puttered around, losing 8-10 lbs, but no more. In 2013, I got serious and started exercising regularly and really tracking. That lasted until mid-summer, when I had back-to-back vacations. Since then, I'd kept steady, or lost a little, until the holidays. I took a three week hiatus, and now have to recover from the spike that caused :embarassed: , but am ready to recommit and finish the journey to my UGW.
  • kblount10
    Options
    While my husband was deployed to Afghanistan I lost 20 lbs. He has only been back since mid October and I've gained back 15 pounds!!!! OBVIOUSLY something had to change and I was doing something HORRIBLY wrong! I now realize I was eating at least double than I should be!

Also doesn't hurt that we have vacation plans for vegas in May and I want to feel comfortable in a bathing suit!!