Replies

• macybean
    macybean Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Well finally back at it…

Squat 135-5 145-3 155-1

Bench 85-5 90-3 95-1

Row 95-5 100-5 105-3

Numbers about the same as when I last worked out over a week ago, just fewer reps. Probably should have deloaded and done more reps, but I didn't want to!
  • wendypow
    wendypow Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    You guys have awesome row #'s! I could never get above 80#.
  • vendygirl
    vendygirl Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    It has been a crazy week with the frigid temps and insane legal cases at work so today was the first time back to the gym this week. OMG the resolutioners were out in full force, even in the weight room it was SO full of testoteronie! It was my punishment for not getting up and going to the gym this am. It was so crowded that I just did my squats and improvised from there.

Squats 5x5 125lbs.

TRX Tricep dips 3x10
    TRX Rows 3x10
    TRX pushup 3x10

Row 500 meters

I could Really tell how much my strength has gone up when I went upstairs to the TRX. Friday my butt will be getting up early and hitting the gym at my usual time to avoid these people. :D
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    You guys have awesome row #'s! I could never get above 80#.

Yes you can just build up to it.
  • hnsaunde
    hnsaunde Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    This is my "3" week of my 5/3/1 program, and it's my first round.

Tuesday was deadlifts (work sets below):

3@120 pounds
    3@140 pounds
    3@155 pounds-I'm supposed to try for more on this set, and I got 6! I had to switch my grip after 3 though, I could have done more

Assistance work was good mornings and hanging leg raises. After doing SL, I'm not used to doing 10 reps of anything, so I got some really bad DOMS last week from the assistance work, but it seems to be better this week.

Today is bench press, should be fun!
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    Squats-125 lbs 5x5
    OHP-65 (had to deload) 5x3
    Deadlift-205 lbs only got 3 reps of this :grumble: this is my body weight.

Monday, though, 205 deadlift-you are MINE.
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    Wow! on the Deadlift.

Squats-125 lbs 5x5

• wolfsbayne
    Options
    Wow! on the Deadlift.

Squats-125 lbs 5x5

Thank you! This is my first stall on the deadlift. I was really hoping to nail it today, but oh well. Another day :smile:
  • emjaycazz
    emjaycazz Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    wolfsbayne--awesome DL!

Today's workout (all reached 5x5--I didn't do any morning cardio today):

OHP: 50 lbs
    Squat: 100 lbs (last time I was just short of parallel, so this time I went for parallel and will hang out here for a bit to work on form)
    DL: 130 lbs

I am scrapping a cardio workout and switching to TDEE to monitor calories (and bumping them up ever so slightly, then bumping up after about 3 weeks). I figure if I wanted to gain any, right now would be the time to do it.
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear. I threw out my back when I was 22 years old picking up the cat. The night before this I had been sitting at a concert in the rain for 5 hours hunched over because the seats had no backs. Dr. gave my muscle relaxers and I think I slept for a week. Hope you get to feeling better.

Thanks, after laying in bed all day yesterday with my heat pack (it was too cold for me to even consider ice and i had no swelling) I am 95% functional today. I really have no idea what happened but I'd attribute it to taking 3 weeks off and being overzealous on the weight even if I didn't feel like it was too heavy. Or Shaun T killed me when I did insanity tuesday so I could avoid the polar vortex outside. Taking tomorrow off as well but I'm antsy about working out again.

ETA: Also, another amazing lift wolfsbayne! (And of course all you ladies are doing great lifts!)
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    Wolfsbane I feel like you need an avatar/profile. You are free to ignore my feelings of course! :wink:

Lydia I am also hangry. Rawr! Even with all the protein. I know it'll pass slightly after a week or two.

Stef: I think TDEE- anything is considered a cut Miss. :wink:

Everyone has some awesome numbers!

Today I was back to squatting. I had extra warm up sets, but my leg felt fine. That stuff is so weird! Also squatting every day for 8 days felt fine (other than the leg thing) but I take 2 days off and I feel like I'm 95. Go figure.

Today I had barbell back squats:
    45x10
    95x10
    115x5
    145x5
    175x3
    195x1
    215x1
    235x1
    245x1
    255x1
    265x1
    275x1 Wooo new PR!:drinker:
    225 3x3
    165 2x5
    Body weight hip thrusts 3x20
  • wolfsbayne
    Options
    Wolfsbane I feel like you need an avatar/profile. You are free to ignore my feelings of course! :wink:

Lydia I am also hangry. Rawr! Even with all the protein. I know it'll pass slightly after a week or two.

Stef: I think TDEE- anything is considered a cut Miss. :wink:

Everyone has some awesome numbers!

Today I was back to squatting. I had extra warm up sets, but my leg felt fine. That stuff is so weird! Also squatting every day for 8 days felt fine (other than the leg thing) but I take 2 days off and I feel like I'm 95. Go figure.

Today I had barbell back squats:
    45x10
    95x10
    115x5
    145x5
    175x3
    195x1
    215x1
    235x1
    245x1
    255x1
    265x1
    275x1 Wooo new PR!:drinker:
    225 3x3
    165 2x5
    Body weight hip thrusts 3x20

<
    Here ya go Fittree :smile: That was taken a few years ago, though. Awesome workout! I've been toying with the idea of doing weighted hip thrusts. Of course, I'd have to do them at home...too self conscious to do them in the big boy weight room :blushing:
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    First Stronglift workout. 4 hours of sleep last night (I'm not so sure why insomnia decided to strike such a deadly blow right on a thursday nght. Couldn,t t have waited one more day?!)

Squats 135x5x5
    that was surprisingly smooth. Not easy, but I was worried cuz I had previously only done 1 set of 6 @ 135

Bench 105x4 100x5 100x5 100x4 100x5
    decided to lower the weight to 100 because apparently adding a 1 sec pause at the bottom makes a HUGE difference. Also tried to fiddle with the brand new rig the gym got to see if I could use the safety bars as a "spotter" but the benches aren't high enough so it doesn't work :( (that took 5 mins or so!)

Pendlay Row 95x4 95x5x3 95x4
    Still find these a bit tough in that having to pull from the ground means having to be explosive. Hopefully it'll translate to my pull-up strength down the line. Normal bent-over rows never quite felt comfy for me either...

I then finished with the ICF recommended assistance work

BB Shrugs 115x8 125x8x2

DB Tricep Ext 15x8 17.5x6 17.5x6
    superset with
    DB incline curls 15x8 17.5x8 20x7?

Back extensions (no weight) 1x10 1x15

Cable Crunch 55x10 64x15 75x15
    I can't get these to feel right. I tried facing the pulley, facing away from the pulley, standing, kneeling... Maybe I need more weight...

Total time: 1h20m (including warm-up. I stretch/cool down in between sets)

To be honest, I feel underwhelmed by this workout. But that may very well be because I'm sleep deprived and had a REALLY hard time focusing. Tomorrow I'll do some conditionning to try and kick myself back into it. Calves are till sore as hell though. Jump rope is evil.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Last night was Upper Body 3x8. It was just alright.

BENCH PRESS
    Warm Up:
    55x5
    65x3
    Working Sets:
    75x8, 75x7, 75x6 - :grumble:

PULL UPS
    8x3 - Something new I'm trying. Last couple sets were tough

PUSH PRESS
    Warm Up:
    45x5
    Working Sets:
    60x8, 60x8, 60x8 - Only the 2nd time doing these so easing into them

BENT OVER BARBELL ROW:
    Warm Up:
    60x5
    Working Sets:
    82.5x8, 82.5x8, 82.5x8 :smile:

ASSESSORY WORK:

CABLE OVERHEAD TRICEP EXTENSIONS:
    #10x8, #10x8, #10x8 - My cable machine has #s not weight #s so this is probably 35-40ish lbs

BARBELL CURLS
    42.5x8, 42.5x7, 42.5x6

Workout Analysis-Bench sucked (as always) so I'll deload it down to 72.5. I need to work on my form-I lose my tightness halfway through the set. Pull Ups have gone nowhere for a long time so I'm kicking up the volume & will see how that goes. Push Press was more explosive but still losing it a bit in the last reps of the set.
  • hnsaunde
    Options
    Last night was bench press, my "3" week on 5/3/1.

Working Sets:
    3 x 70
    3 x 80
    3 x 90-I got three reps in, but man, they were UGLY!

My assistance work:

Dumbbell Flyes- 3 sets of 10, and I got all my reps
    Assisted Pullups- 3 sets of 10, supporting 70 pounds of body weight

I still can't do negatives with pullups, I drop too quickly. My goal is to be able to do one real one by March. The dumbbell flyes made my weak shoulder start to hurt a bit last week, so we'll see if it's better this week.
  • mama_bear91215
    mama_bear91215 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'm starting 5x5 on tuesday, and i'm super nervous i'm going to have TERRIBLE form, I've done a lot of research and watched a bunch of videos about it...how did you all perfect your form? i'm just afraid i'll hurt my back! and do you all just do the 5 x 5 program or do you throw in a little cardio too?
  • wolfsbayne
    Options
    I'm starting 5x5 on tuesday, and i'm super nervous i'm going to have TERRIBLE form, I've done a lot of research and watched a bunch of videos about it...how did you all perfect your form? i'm just afraid i'll hurt my back! and do you all just do the 5 x 5 program or do you throw in a little cardio too?

I was the same way as you. I watched TONS of videos on form and had my son and fiance watch me while I did the sets. I still struggle some with form when the weights get heavier and I'm struggling to get back up from the squat, but I don't hurt in any places that I shouldn't (ie, my back), so I figure I'm ok.
  • hnsaunde
    Options

I found that starting with light weight, or just the bar (standard Olympic bar weighs 45 pounds on its own), or even dumbbells (if the bar is too heavy) was the way to go. I did my research like you have, watched myself in the mirrors, and asked the trainers to take videos, etc.

I had really bad back problems, due to rugby tackling injuries and a car accident, before I started lifting weights, and after lifting for a while, they went away (unless my form was off and then they came back :/ )

When I was doing SL, I added in a short sprint session after my lifting session 2 days a week, and then I also went for a slow, long run on one of my rest days, but that was purely because I enjoy running, not because I "had" to.

ETA: From everything I've read and learned, I don't think cardio is necessary in conjunction with SL. Having said that, I like to do cardio and weight training together because it helps my endurance, so, my advice is that if you enjoy cardio, do it, as long as it doesn't impact your lifts.

For example, if the cardio is making you too sore or leaving you with no energy to do squats the next day, then either do cardio after your strength session on the same day, or arrange a schedule where you get a day break in between a cardio day and your strength day.
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    Argh it appears that as well as sapping my strength cutting is also addling my brain.

maybe it was starting with the evil prowler.. did 3x4 plus a little bit (3 runs of there/back/there/back..).
    Squats 67.5kg 3,3,2 rubbish. Felt like a million tons. Aware of all sorts of problems at the time (knee slide was an issue in the first set), trying to stay tight (how -do- you do that?!) and generally feeling a bit 'meh' about it all.
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEaFXgCa6qg[/video]
    Press was even worse - 32.5kg 5,4,3 given that I nailed 35kg 5,5,5 recently this feels so frustrating!
    Deadlift - warmed up with 70kgx3, 85kgx1 then should have gone for a PR at 95kg but no, managed to misload the bar and only put 90kg back on. Then the belt was digging into my ribs (must work out how to put it on a bit higher for deadlift..) and I just did 2.
    Finished with KB swings 12kg KB and forced myself to do an extra set from the other day so 4x20s with 10s rests.

Ball of foot isn't 100% but it's livable.
    Tweaked my butt taking the 20kg plate off the bar after deadlifting in the same place as I did before. Not so badly. Will be cautious and keep an eye on it..

Inhaled bacon and eggs once home!

I keep having to remind myself this too shall pass and if I hadn't been a non-cardio lazy slug for so long I wouldn't be having to cut!

If you've got this far you deserve a medal for putting up with the whining ;)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Hey Ladies

@Fittree hehe so apparently I have been on a 20 year bulk...hahahahaha

I always thought of "cutting" as the thing you do after a bulk...

Anyway workout B for me...my fav although with my form check on rows....liking A again. Explosive movements...

So today tried a chin up and pull up got 3/4 for both...now to work on my negatives.

Squats @ 140lb 5x5 (at pre injury weight) looking forward to getting past this, really concentrating on form making sure knees are being pushed out and not buckling...although leaned forward a bit on the 3rd rep of last set..might stay here to work on form.

OHP @ 83.5....yup 83.5...my weighted collars are 3lb 8oz..so gonna use those instead of going u p that 5lbs see how that goes
    well sets for OHP went 2x5, 1x3 (really pushed that 3rd one out), 1x3 (1/4 way into 4th),1x3 (struggled with 3rd again) but definately a win for me...

DL @ 160 sumo stance again...

HIIT is making me hungry that's for sure not so bad today but DOMS in my calfs...:grumble: :grumble: :grumble: making my squats interesting

Now for the foodz YESSSSSSSSSSS