Entry level road pedals - Look vs Shimano SPD-SL

Options
Frannybobs
Frannybobs Posts: 741 Member
Hi all

I currently use the 2 bolt cleat Shimano SPD system on my hybrid and road bike, but I'm looking to get proper road shoes and pedals for my road bike. Budget £100 for both.

Done some research and had decided on the Look Keo Classic pedals, but then I did the dangerous thing of too much online research and ended up reading about pedal clicking and how it hangs at 11 o'clock so harder to clip in and out. But reading about Shimano SPD-SL it said that your foot was pretty rigid, the clipping in and out wasn't as natural, but the cleats wore better and the pedals were sturdier. So now I'm confused!!

I have seen that there are now Look Keo Classic 2 pedals - but can't find any reviews on them and am wondering if that fixed the 11 o'clock issue and clicking pedal.

What I'm looking for is personal experiences with the entry level of either the Look or Shimano system and the pro's and con's you've had with either

Many thanks in advance :-)

Cheers,
Fran

Replies

• rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    I have no info, but was looking to do the same with my pedals & shoes... Hopefully those in the know will share. :)
  • blkpag1
    blkpag1 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have no experience with the Look pedals, but have been using the Shimano (the cheapest ones they make to try them out). I have had no issues with them. I would not think twice about purchasing them again. The only issue with them that I have noticed was when they were new, they took a bit of use before they would quickly drop to the correct position to clip in (after a few rides they started to drop front up much quicker - assuming that the bearings and lube had to get "broke in" a little).

They are stiff and give a great platform. They feel like they transfer power very well. The tension to clip out is easily adjusted.

The next time I purchase pedals I will probably purchase these in a upper line.
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I use SPD-SL's with the Yellow 5 percent 'float' cleats & I really like 'em...

I haven't used 'Look' kit, so can't comment on those...
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,683 Member
    Options
    Haven't used the Look Keo's - I actually started using clipless pedals back in the era when the old Look pedals were the only ones on the market - did one season on the Looks and destroyed the bearings in them - fortunately Shimano had started licencing the mechanism from Look, and had built a cleat compatible pedal but with much improved bearings, serviceability and materials. I've still got them somewhere in the big box of bits!

When I came back to riding I initially returned to the Shimano/Looks but they only had the old style cleats which were HUGE and didn't really fit sensibly on modern shoes. So, I swapped on recommendation of a friend to the Time pedals. Big Mistake - they lasted all of 2 months before I snapped the plastic (sorry, fibre reinforced resin) body 20 miles from home, leading to a long uncomfortable ride with my shoe zip-tied to the remaining bit of the pedal.

So, I returned to the Shimano SPD-SL's - the Ultegra versions to match the rest of the bike (as if you couldn't guess) - though in fairness, there's little or no difference between the 105 level (or indeed right down to the PD540 level at around £20 at the moment from wiggle...) The cleats are a bit prone to wearing - but as the furthest I walk normally is from the front door to the roadside and back, and always unclip on the kerb-side foot, I tend to go through a kerb-foot cleat every 5-6 month, the other side lasts probably double that. The cleats are identical, last time I bought 3 sets and just fit one at a time as needed.

Whichever set you go for, consider getting a set of cleat-covers to match if you're likely to do any "cafe stops" that may involve wheeling the bike a bit... not so much for wear prevention (though thats also an issue) as the fact that NO cleats are particularly easy to walk on, and all of 'em are bloody well lethal on the typical tiled cafe floor, especially if it's a bit wet from the rain outside!

Of course, one other consideration is, if you ever get to go to the velodrome, the hire-bikes have Keo pedals iirc. so there'd be no swapping cleats to use your own shoes...

Honestly Fran, there's not much between any of 'em - just get something with some "float" on the cleats, not the fixed ones, that way lies sore knees if you slightly mis-align them. And as to the "how they hang" - well - road clipless pedals have a slightly different "knack" to clipping in compared to the MTB derived SPD's - instead of the basic "get the pedal flat and stamp on it" of the SPD, both the SPD-SL and the Look hang with the nose of the pedal up, and you sort of "hook forward" into the loop at the top and press down into them. Practice on the Turbo. 5 minutes and you'll have the hang of it. It's really, really no biggie.
  • Frannybobs
    Options
    Thanks all, really helpful.

You've just reminded me, TBY, that I have used the Look pedals at the velodrome and I did get used to it fairly quickly. Good to know about cleat wear too, something I don't have to worry about with the MTB SPDs, so I'll get some spares. 5 deg of float sounds about right too.

They'll be on the turbo a couple of months yet so plenty of time to get used to it before hitting the road, so perhaps a good time to take the leap.

Going to a bike shop on Sunday anyway, so will take a look "in the flesh" and decide there...although I'm now edging towards the SPD-SL's...

You lot are fab - as always :bigsmile: Cheers!
  • KitTheRoadie
    KitTheRoadie Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Hi Fran!

Just wanted to say I use Look Keo's and I love 'em! :happy:

Good luck in your search!
  • Frannybobs
    Options
    Hi Fran!

Just wanted to say I use Look Keo's and I love 'em! :happy:

Good luck in your search!

Cheers, Chris, so thumbs up for both systems...I think I'll be fine with either then :-)
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    Both types have 3 sorts of cleat - the non-float, Full floating and a half way house.

With the Shimano, the red is fixed, blue is 2° and the Yellow 5° ( at one point I had Yellow on my left leg and Blue on my right, while the physio was trying to re-train my legs to move in a straight line!)

The Look Keo is Black (fixed), Grey (4.5°) and Red (9°)

Personally, I'd go, initially at least for the most float - at first it can be difficult to get the cleat positioning "just right" and a little bit of float on the cleats can make all the difference between comfortable and painful knees. I tried those speedplay pedals once, on a borrowed bike (and shoes... eeeewww) and they had been set up with 15° of float - it felt like trying to pedal on roller skates and I couldn't get on with 'em at all... though they are actually a bit wierd - the float is set IN the cleat itself, and is adjustable from 0 up to 15°...
  • Frannybobs
    Options
    Cheers for the extra info about the different cleats having different floats - so I'll need to check which cleats come with the pedals.

The Speedplays seem to have some big fans - but it does seem really weird to me, like the whole mechanism is the wrong way round, but people who use them say they'd never go back! Bit out of my budget anyway. I also looked at Time iClic, but again out of my budget, so I settled on deciding between Look and Shimano...

I love getting new stuff - excited for weekend now!!!
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting Fran, and thanks for all the info everybody! I think I'll grow up and start using road shoes & pedals this year...
  • adam1885282
    adam1885282 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Two quick points. First, everything wears out, including pedals and cleats. Try one and if you like it stick with it and if you don't then try the other. Look and SPD-SL are both three bolt so you can keep to a shoe you like.

Second, just a quick check online, it seems Look replacement cleats are about 1/2 to 2/3 the cost of SPD-SL.

Have fun!
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    Whatever you do, replace 'em before they end up this Knackered...

11852780306_4e2b1f0749_o.jpg
    Probably 500 too many miles on this one... by The Big Yin, on Flickr

the front part of the cleat had bits falling off, the rear "outriggers" were worn almost flat, and the bit at the back where the retaining springs clip into was so thin that I lost the pedals 3 times on yesterdays ride. Yes, I'm a gear obsessive, No - that doesn't mean I occasionally forget to check things properly.
  • beatpig
    beatpig Posts: 97 Member
    Options

the front part of the cleat had bits falling off, the rear "outriggers" were worn almost flat, and the bit at the back where the retaining springs clip into was so thin that I lost the pedals 3 times on yesterdays ride. Yes, I'm a gear obsessive, No - that doesn't mean I occasionally forget to check things properly.

Double this fact. I used to use Look cleats (either go for vintage metal Time, or metal SPDs now!) and was sprinting at about 45mph in the middle of a dual carridgeway (speed limit 40mph) and the back section of the cleat failed.

Right leg went over left shoulder quite impressively, cars skidded either side of me, left shoulder hit the ground.

Thankfully didn't look like Jalabert or Abdudjaparov (sp!) on Champs!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    My physio (who is also a bike fit whiz) suggested the Look Keo pedal & red cleat (more float).
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    My physio (who is also a bike fit whiz) suggested the Look Keo pedal & red cleat (more float).

The problem I had was that there was too much float, I needed something with less float (due to knee tracking problems caused by leg length differences and hip damage) to constrain the tracking of the foot and ankle while the orthotics and other tweaks had chance to balance out the tracking. Took nearly 6 months of constant alteration and tweaking position on the bike until I've reached a stable balanced and reasonably comfortable position on the bike again.

In general however, it's a good idea to start with the most float you can get, and if it feels like you're trying to pedal on a bed of ball bearings, step down a grade on the float.
  • Frannybobs
    Options

:noway: That looks like it's been in a fire :laugh:

Lucky you didn't have a serious mishap like beatpig. Will definitely make sure I check them regularly!
  • TheBigYin
    Options

:noway: That looks like it's been in a fire :laugh:

Lucky you didn't have a serious mishap like beatpig. Will definitely make sure I check them regularly!

Nope, that's the "kerbside" cleat, that's been on my "winter shoes" for around 5,000km worth of riding. I've had a few punctures and the standing around on muddy/gritty roadsides takes a bit of a toll on the plastic :laugh:

That said, I swapped to a nice new one before yesterdays ride, and there was an awful lot of pleasure derived from the solidity of the CLICK as I clipped in. It was so nice, I almost wanted to keep clipping out and in again to hear and feel how good it was. I know, I'm sounding sad now... I'll get me coat....
  • Frannybobs
    Options

Of course, one other consideration is, if you ever get to go to the velodrome, the hire-bikes have Keo pedals iirc. so there'd be no swapping cleats to use your own shoes...

Just remembered, they have Look Delta pedals at the velodrome, as my colleague has Look Keo and so he couldn't use his own shoes and had to hire
  • Frannybobs
    Options

That said, I swapped to a nice new one before yesterdays ride, and there was an awful lot of pleasure derived from the solidity of the CLICK as I clipped in. It was so nice, I almost wanted to keep clipping out and in again to hear and feel how good it was. I know, I'm sounding sad now... I'll get me coat....

Nope, I get satisfaction from odd things like that too, so not just you!!
  • TheBigYin
    Options

Just remembered, they have Look Delta pedals at the velodrome, as my colleague has Look Keo and so he couldn't use his own shoes and had to hire

Ah, the delta's - that's the original ones... I've still a couple of pairs of unused cleats for them somewhere in the big box of bits... on the basis that they may not get manufactured for ever, and I wanted a pair for the ancient Raleigh with the Shimano pedals on 'em...