Keto Vs. Atkins

Options
Chrissysftns
Chrissysftns Posts: 113 Member
Good Morning..Afternoon..Evening, All!

Could someone please tell me what the difference is between Keto and Atkins???

Thanks!!!!!

Replies

• birdiecs
    birdiecs Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    From my understanding Atkins is Keto in it's first phase. Where they differ is Atkins then moves on to incorporate more carbs in it's subsequent phases. Whereas in Keto the goal is remain in a Ketogenic state all the time.
  • ea101367
    ea101367 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    When I did Atkins 15 years ago, I wasn't concerned with any macro other than carbs. Now with keto, fat , carb and protein seems to be of major importance, especially fat.
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    In Atkins you stay in ketosis the entire time. Atkins is a multi-phase lifestyle that has been revised since ea101367's experience. Carbs are still the most important factor, but the ratios of fat:protein:carbs are still important. Calories aren't the most important factor, but they should be monitored, too.

Atkins is better suited for non-bodybuilders, whereas keto has a variety of forms- CKD, which stands for a cyclical ketogenic diet, includes a once a week carb-up, while reducing, not dropping below 50g carbs per day. On the Atkins diet, you start out with an induction phase, which includes no more than 20g carbs per day, and this lasts for 2 weeks. Then you adjust depending on your indovidual tolerance to carbs, usually no more than 35g-50g (depending upon size, weight, etc...). On a CKD you are lifting on a regular basis, and you can enjoy a carb-up once a week, which is prohibited on Atkins.

I lost almost sixty pounds in a little over five months with Atkins. I'm restarting it on Monday, and will be in it for a month or two, but when I get back into lifting come early spring, I'll be going to CKD.

Kiramaniac is without a doubt the Atkins authority on MFP. I've never seen her not know the correct answer to an Atkins question.
  • Chrissysftns
    Chrissysftns Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Great Info, Thanks!
  • astuart7
    astuart7 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks EddieHaskell9 that helps clarify it for me too. ..so much info out there its overwhelming.