To purchase soda or not for a party?

Agate69
Agate69 Posts: 349 Member
I have been soda free for almost 4 years. Have not wanted to go back, but having party tonight. Offering beer and really excellent wine ( no temptation for me). But do people expect there to be diet and regular soda?

I will also have water and hot cider? Opinions please. I do not want leftover soda to tempt

Replies

• tabatham1982
    tabatham1982 Posts: 68 Member
    Don't do it!!!! I would just let people know that if they want something other than what you are providing they should bring their own and make sure they take it when they leave!

Soda was a huge down fall for me so I make sure to not have it in my house at all anymore!
  • dward59
    dward59 Posts: 731 Member
    Don't do it!!!! I would just let people know that if they want something other than what you are providing they should bring their own and make sure they take it when they leave!

Soda was a huge down fall for me so I make sure to not have it in my house at all anymore!

This ^^^^

And if they leave extra behind, the kitchen sink has a drain...
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Personally, I have bought soda for guests. I am not tempted by it though. If I was tempted by it, that would be another story :-)
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Sorry, but I think if you are having a party it your job to accommodate ALL of your guests. As a type I diabetic I always hated going to a party (before my surgery) where they only had regular sodas and no diet. I think it is good to put out a bit, but not too much. Just give them choices. Don't overdo it so there won't be too much left over. Anyway, leftovers can always be sent home with guests. Still hard for me now after my surgery 15 months ago, as a type I diabetic, to go to a party where they serve cider, juice, or punch because of the high sugar content--I don't "do" fruit juices--I see them as non beneficial empty calories. If I want fruit, I want the whole fruit, fiber and all. Again, I believe that those of us who choose to host a party need to take into account the people who will be attending, whether it suits our needs or not.
  • melissa44
    melissa44 Posts: 57 Member
    I have been soda free for 12 years now, and we have family parties all the time in which we chose NOT to provide soda to our family and guests because we are very passionate about how bad they are for you including diet soda even being worse :( Our family stomped their feet in the beginning but have become accustomed to it now, I still get hell from my mom who is morbidly obese a severe diabetic with chronic kidney disease and almost on dialysis who insists on continuing to eat unhealthy and does no form of exercise and lives in self pity and anger :( I try my best to serve delicious gourmet coffee and tea beverages, alkaline water infused with sliced berries, or cucumber, mint, ginger, citrus fruits etc. I feel it is important to mimic healthy eating and drinking when company is present as well :)
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    I drink diet soda sometimes, but nothing like before surgery. I always have it at the movies. It doesn't bother me at all, and doesn't trigger cravings. But if it is something you can't tolerate, or is a trigger, stay away.