Libido and Serotonin. Any smarty pants people out there?

Options
jeniwilmot
jeniwilmot Posts: 25 Member
Hi, so just starting the 2nd week of keto. I've been in an awesome mood since day 4 and (sorry if this is TMI to anyone) have an increased libido as well.

Everything I google says that while in ketosis serotonin reduces which causes a drop in libido. Well seems I'm having the opposite effect.

Does this great boost go away? Is this normal? Does it may a lot to do with what foods I'm eating or not eating? What are your experiences?

and does anybody understand the science behind this??

I'm so curious as to what's going on. Thanks!! Keto on my friends!

<3 jeni

Replies

• ea101367
    ea101367 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I feel a general overall well being while doing keto diet. My mind is clearer and my body, well, I feel sexier ( not bloated) and better about myself, more positive. This alone is enough to get things going for me. tee hee.
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    I can't really speak to the libido portion of ketosis, but I did encounter everything that ea101367 listed. The only downers that I experienced was that my weight lifting endurance was way down.

I am returning to ketosis after taking a break ordered by my doc. I'll keep my eyes open on the "bedroom-eyes" aspect once I'm back into it.
  • TheRealMarsupial12
    Options
    I was really happy and horny for the first week or so. Now, about 6 weeks later, I have zero emotions. Not sure if it's related or not.
  • KayNowayJose
    KayNowayJose Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I feel a general overall well being while doing keto diet. My mind is clearer and my body, well, I feel sexier ( not bloated) and better about myself, more positive. This alone is enough to get things going for me. tee hee.
  • Chris_B62
    Chris_B62 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I can only respond regarding the male side of keto. Or at least in my own personal experience. I can't really think of a time when I wasn't horny. That's probably just the guy in me. But the endurance; well, I frequently read posts from others talking about their increased endurance on keto related to running and other sports. I have not yet seen any postings related to eating keto and sex and endurance. Everyone hears the standard joke about only needing a few minutes to do the dirty, or having a 'quickie' that lasts as long as the commercial. My endurance in this area has dramatically increased over the past few months. I don't really know how to post this without sounding like a braggadocio, but we have actually had to stop a few times before I could finish. I don’t know if this is due to low carb intake or not but that’s what I’m attributing it to. Wow that's a lot of TMI.