New to Paleo, and I have a few questions!

Options
lrhess2
lrhess2 Posts: 11 Member
Hello all, my name is Lauren and my husband and I began a Paleo lifestyle a week ago today. We were looking for a lifestyle change, not a diet, that would help us both feel satisfied, healthier, and shed some weight in a healthy way. I have tried many times to lose weight and have always ended up disappointed because I ended up hungry at the end of the day. My husband worked with a few people who followed a Paleo lifestyle and suggested that we try it. After some research we decided to give it a go!

So far I am doing well and haven't had any slip-ups ( aside from a dash of milk in my coffe in the morning). There have been a few cravings of course ( I would have looooved some stuffed crust pizza tonight) but so far so good. And my husband and I both feel great just after a week. He has acid reflux, and hasn't even had to take any medicine since we started eating Paleo! We have three kids and are on a budget grocery wise. We are trying to make this diet affordable, but it is more expensive that our previous eating style. Yes, I know the price difference will be worth it in the end, but I was hoping some of you might have some buying tips?

Are there any good, online sites to find Paleo bread mixes, or premade breads and other items? I found a site called "Julian's Bakery" that seems promising. But I was wondering if anyone else had ideas?

Also, we have 3 small children and want to incorporate some of our eating habits in their diet as well. We have done some stir-fry dishes and bun-less burgers, chicken dishes, ect.. Anyone out there have some easy dinner recipes? I know there are lots of good dishes you can make, with the right ingredients. But we are trying not to spend to much on extra things, like Almond Flour, Coconut Milk, ect. I know some will be inevitable, but we want to try to work with what we have as much as possible. Anyway, any help will be appreciated. I look forward to this fresh start!

Replies

• strychnine7
    strychnine7 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I can't help you with the saving money thing since I'm a single guy with no kids. I spend a way larger percentage of my income on food than most.

However, I have some experience with three Julian Bakery items.
    Almond Thins - Excellent cracker replacement. You wouldn't know they weren't a regular cracker if no one told you.
    Paleo Wraps - Excellent wrap replacement.
    Paleo Bread (Coconut) - Tastes good, strange (but not necessarily bad) consistency. Smaller than a typical slice of bread but also a bit denser. I made some very tasty french toast with it.

If money were not an object, I would keep all of these items on hand. However, this is Julian Bakery's downfall - everything they sell, is so damn expensive.

Welcome to the boards and to paleo.
  • shuki_cotren
    shuki_cotren Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I try to stay away from almond flour, coconut flour, and all other paleo compliant ways to continue on with an old lifestyle of baked goods. I think nut flours are really high in Omega 6s (but Omega 3's are the good ones that you want to focus on, and I've heard it's bad to go crazy on Omega 6s because it messes with the balance of 3s/6s your supposed to get.

I try to eat on a budget too and I get lots of ground beef and chicken once a month from costco and put them in my freezer. I live in apartment so I don't own a huge separate freezer like a lot of paleo people do so they can buy half cows from local farmers. Someday maybe, but its not the right time for me.

Things I eat on a regular basis: zucchini spaghetti with compliant pasta sauce and homemade meatballs (I use Full Circle tomato basil), lots of burgers with lettuce (and use the Full Circle pasta sauce as ketchup). Well Fed 2 has a bunch of great recipes for spicing up burgers... I made the italian style burgers in bulk and froze them.... It's a lot yummier than eating a plain ground beef patty. I also make tons of vegetable soup in my slow cooker with frozen veggies (green beans, carrots, onions & celery from Kroger), broth, and add either turkey or chicken. I change it up by adding cabbage sometimes for a unique taste, or spinach or both! Slow cooker stews, roasts, and soups are great and very easy! I always have salad or soup for lunch because it's easy for me. For extra calories I add a spoon of coconut oil.
  • lrhess2
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! I really appreciate it :)
  • SteamClutch
    SteamClutch Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Welcome, fairly new here myself. I am the only one in my house doing Paleo so our bills are not going up, it seems they are less since I have started this (seems I was eating way too much :)). I relate to your pizza cravings and as silly as it sounds it was the very thing that brought me over to Paleo when I was trying to find a cauliflower pizza crust (look it up there are tons of recipes out there on the web). You will find the better quality foods you eat the less you will crave the junky stuff or at least I have had that experience.
  • lrhess2
    Options
    I also make tons of vegetable soup in my slow cooker with frozen veggies (green beans, carrots, onions & celery from Kroger), broth, and add either turkey or chicken. I change it up by adding cabbage sometimes for a unique taste, or spinach or both! Slow cooker stews, roasts, and soups are great and very easy!

Do you make your own broth? Or do you use Chicken Stock from the store? I haven't investigated much as far as soups go, and have never really made any homemade soups. But would you mind sharing with me what you do for broth? Thanks!
  • lrhess2
    Options

Paleo Bread (Coconut) - Tastes good, strange (but not necessarily bad) consistency. Smaller than a typical slice of bread but also a bit denser. I made some very tasty french toast with it.

If money were not an object, I would keep all of these items on hand. However, this is Julian Bakery's downfall - everything they sell, is so damn expensive.

The amond bread listed on their site is only $9.00 a loaf (only, lol) but is that much more expensive than buying all the almond flour, flax meal, and so on, to make it yourself? When I checked a local health food market here in town, it was selling almond flour for roughly $9lb. How much bread would that really make? I would really like to find a way to have an occasional slice of bread that isn't super expensive. :/
  • shuki_cotren
    shuki_cotren Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    There are tons of recipes out there for bone broth on paleo recipe websites, but I've never made it (I've only been paleo since July '13). I have made vegetable broth once and froze a lot in ziplock bags... but I usually just buy chicken broth from the store. Here is a link for good advice to make bone broth (I consider people successful at Whole30s to be paleo experts): http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/222-looking-for-some-bone-broth-101-tips/

I would use recipes like these if I did make it, though.

http://www.westonaprice.org/food-features/broth-is-beautiful

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/3615609338/slow-cooker-beef-bone-broth

Or this from Elena's pantry:

How to Make Chicken Stock
    1 chicken carcass (I made Chipotle Orange Chicken; used the carcass after we dined on the meat)
    3 quarts cold water
    1 onion, halved
    4 carrots, cut into 2 inch pieces
    10 cloves garlic, no need to peel
    ¼ cup parsley, finely chopped
    10 sprigs fresh thyme
    5 celery tops (the leaves and ribs from the inside of a bunch of celery)
    2 bay leaves
    Place the chicken carcass in a large stockpot with the water
    Bring pot to a boil and then reduce to a simmer
    Meanwhile, place onion, carrot and garlic cloves on a parchment lined baking sheet
    Roast at 400° for one hour
    Add roasted vegetables to stock, then add parsley, thyme, celery and bay leaves
    Simmer stock one more hour then cool and strain into glass mason jars
    Drink alone or use for soups and sauces

http://www.elanaspantry.com/how-to-make-chicken-stock/
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I think it's a lot cheaper and simpler if you don't try to sub bread items. Learn to love simpler foods. My daily meals are like this: breakfast is eggs of some sort, lately in omelet form. Lunch is chicken thigh and veggies. Fruit for snack. I'm primal, so I'll have yogurt sometimes too. Dinner is meat, veggies, and often a sweet potato of sort. I vary my meats quite a bit.

That's most days. I do have cauliflower crust pizza from time to time. Chili often. Made eggplant cannollenni the other night. Love spaghetti squash. But really, simple is still great.

I probably eat more fruit than I should, and rarely buy grass fed or organic, so a lot of my groceries come from Aldi. I still feel great and my grocery bill isn't any higher.
  • mike00t
    mike00t Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Would love to get your chili and eggplant caneloni recipes!

I agree with what others have said that you should avoid nut flours. You're basically exchanging wheat seeds for almond seeds. You'll be consuming a lot of omega-6's and a LOT of calories too.
  • kikih64
    kikih64 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I think it's a lot cheaper and simpler if you don't try to sub bread items. Learn to love simpler foods. My daily meals are like this: breakfast is eggs of some sort, lately in omelet form. Lunch is chicken thigh and veggies. Fruit for snack. I'm primal, so I'll have yogurt sometimes too. Dinner is meat, veggies, and often a sweet potato of sort. I vary my meats quite a bit.

That's most days. I do have cauliflower crust pizza from time to time. Chili often. Made eggplant cannollenni the other night. Love spaghetti squash. But really, simple is still great.

I probably eat more fruit than I should, and rarely buy grass fed or organic, so a lot of my groceries come from Aldi. I still feel great and my grocery bill isn't any higher.

^^ Agree! I did invest in some almond flour and coconut flour for the occasional paleo muffin or pancakes, but I agree it's cheaper to do this if you just give up trying to replace the "bread" items with paleo compliant food. I'm also not strict about the organic and grass-fed rules. I know it's better for me, but I don't want to break the bank. Buy what you can in bulk. I get my chicken breast at Sam's for about $1.79/lb. I get 8 cans of tuna for maybe $7. Large bottles of olive oil, coconut oil. Just read labels and buy the best that you can afford. It all helps!

I found I actually started spending a little less by avoiding those middle aisles in the grocery store. I'm not sure what your average meals are like, but I use my crockpot alot and there are so many paleo meals you can do. Chilis, soups, stews and pulled pork, chicken.

You can do this. It's really all about planning! Welcome!
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I've been ketogenic Primal for a year, and now half a year more keto Paleo (high fat, mod protein, low carb). The longer I go the stricter my eating plan and the better I feel.

Depending on your needs, I wound watch the sugar/carbs. Even too much "natural" sugars are detrimental especially if you are resolving metabolic issues (obesity is just one of many). It's also detrimental to switch to Paleo substitutions of grain based products such as bread, cakes, muffins, cookies etc. Those things are ok occasionally in small amounts but as a daily addition they will not be healthy and will not help you to meet your goals. Your kids don't "need" them either. I make Paleo granola bars for my child but she doesn't get to over-indulge. Eating too many nuts just isn't beneficial. I base my diet on fat, meat, veggies and eggs. Nuts and fruits are eaten in moderation.

As for money. I've monitored all of my spending for years. Sometimes I feel like I'm spending a ton and I have to jump though hoops to find some products and get them shipped (I live in the Arctic); however, while my individual items are often very expensive, I also eat far less than I used to. So, on average, I save 10-20% on my groceries than pre-Paleo and it's because I eat so much less. I eat less because I am eating nutrient dense food and no longer have malnourishment (symptom: binge eating disorder and chronic illness). I eat as much wild food as I can get access to as well including caribou, arctic char, muskox, moose, etc. Get to know your local farmers (if you live where there are any!) and buy locally. Small food producers need all the support they can get and it's worth any effort to get the healthiest food.

I know that at first, the "what to put food in instead of bread" creates an issue. In hindsight it seems a strange dilemma indeed. My strategies: just eat the fillings, I sometimes even eat a piece of butter by itself; use lettuce; for things like fajita/taco filling just throw them on a bed of lettuce. There is life beyond bread. I found substitutes annoying to make, not healthy for me, I had trouble controlling my portions (a good indicator that I should avoid them) and I just don't need them.
  • lrhess2
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice, everyone. I can see where it may be easier to just skip the bread all together. I am so new it just seems like such a big deal to forget ALL bread. But I am finding that the longer I stay on this eating plan, the less I am craving any breads or sugars. Maybe by the end of the month I won't care whether I have the bread or not. I have heard that once the first 30 days is over, some people fit in a day once or twice a month to have an "indulgence" that they miss, like a piece of pizza, or something similar. Have any of you tried that? My husband and I discussed that, but we were afraid it might make things harder for us if we were to do that. It might bring cravings back? Or I have also heard that when Paleo dieters try to fit in an indulgence they usually don't feel well after they eat it. We aren't planning on trying it for ahwile, but we aren't really sure if we should try it at all...
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on your health goals how many "treats" you can indulge in. I find wheat so bad for my health that I will NEVER eat it again. No, not even pizza... but why not just the toppings or make a meatza? My cravings return instantly when I resume eating high sugar or grains, and the pounds pack on as much as 1 pound per day. I don't know how that is possible, but it just happened to me at Christmas.

I think 80/20 is fine for people who have achieved their health goals and maintained well for a length of time. 80/20 is a fail for me even after 18 months. In fact, I get more and more strict Paleo as I go. I love how I feel and no food is worth being sick for. That doesn't mean I won't enjoy a glass of red wine, a delicious cheese, or organic popcorn smothered in butter once in a blue moon.

I don't think it is realistic to plan to be 100% strict Paleo forever and ever. However, find a way to enjoy the Paleo lifestyle that keeps you getting closer to your health goals. Most importantly, you don't want to be constantly struggling with cravings and feeling like crap after each treat or you just won't find the lifestyle sustainable. Be careful that you don't fall into "eat all the things" after your 30 days. I did that after my last Whole30 (which ended before Christmas) and it totally wiped out all the benefits earned and then some.

It's my personal opinion, and I accept that others disagree, that wheat is not something that should be added back into a Paleo lifestyle at all. It's that bad.
  • lrmall01
    lrmall01 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
  • lrhess2
    Options
    I think it depends on your health goals how many "treats" you can indulge in. I find wheat so bad for my health that I will NEVER eat it again. No, not even pizza... but why not just the toppings or make a meatza? My cravings return instantly when I resume eating high sugar or grains, and the pounds pack on as much as 1 pound per day.

I don't think it is realistic to plan to be 100% strict Paleo forever and ever. However, find a way to enjoy the Paleo lifestyle that keeps you getting closer to your health goals. Most importantly, you don't want to be constantly struggling with cravings and feeling like crap after each treat or you just won't find the lifestyle sustainable. Be careful that you don't fall into "eat all the things" after your 30 days. I did that after my last Whole30 (which ended before Christmas) and it totally wiped out all the benefits earned and then some.

The cravings coming back, that is what I would be afraid of. And I know it probably isn't realistic to consider NEVER having a slive of cake again, or enjoying chocolate. I think I will just try to refrain from it altogether for this first month. Once that is done, I will to have an indulgence and see how it effects me. Thanks for the advice :smile:
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on your health goals how many "treats" you can indulge in. I find wheat so bad for my health that I will NEVER eat it again. No, not even pizza... but why not just the toppings or make a meatza? My cravings return instantly when I resume eating high sugar or grains, and the pounds pack on as much as 1 pound per day.

The cravings coming back, that is what I would be afraid of. And I know it probably isn't realistic to consider NEVER having a slive of cake again, or enjoying chocolate. I think I will just try to refrain from it altogether for this first month. Once that is done, I will to have an indulgence and see how it effects me. Thanks for the advice :smile:

I've found I don't really miss cake. One way to help - look at or think about the ingredients in most cakes. The ingredient list turns me off every time! And really, they're not that great after you're used to going without. Pizza's the same way, too, especially if you've abstained for long enough that your body revolts after eating it.

As for chocolate - that's actually one thing you don't need to give up unless it's (chocolate/cocoa itself) a trigger for you. Just go for the dark chocolates - the darker the better. Chocolate is actually good for you when eaten "in moderation" (ie - on average of like 1oz a day). It's packed with antioxidents and flavanols the provide a ton of benefits, including heart benefits, cortisol reduction, and many others. The catch, though, is that milk ruins them (so milk chocolate is out), and the purer the chocolate, the better. Find one that's as dark as you can handle (might be worth starting with ~70% and working up from there; I've found 80-85% to be ideal), and work up from there. Ideally, it should be somewhat high in fat and low in carbs, and if you can, avoid the ones with soy lecithin in them.
  • LunaGreen
    LunaGreen Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    This is just my OPINION as I don't have a ton of experience on the diet (yet!) I find it easier to forget about bread and those things all together. I read on one of these threads someone wrote "don't mourn the loss of food that made you sick." That may be roughly quoted but bottom line is that you don't NEED bread, try to make lettuce wraps instead of sandwiches, almond butter on apples, etc. I even dunk mushrooms in my egg yolks because I still like them over easy even without toast. If you opt to buy pre-made substitutes for your previous favorite foods you will 1.be disappointed because most don't taste great 2. never stop mourning the loss of that particular food 3. pay wayyyyy more for it! I keep a stalked fridge (meats, fish, poultry, veggies, avocados, NUTS!) and since switching to a paleo lifestyle have SAVED a bunch of money!

Glad you are enjoying it so far, keep up the great work! everyone says the first 2 weeks are the hardest so it will get easier, soon! Best of Luck!!!
  • tatiianag13
    tatiianag13 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I "fourth" the avoiding replacement bread and 'paleo-bread.' When I really crave a starch--I just eat eat less damaging ones--potatoes or white rice. Your tastes will adjust with your habits.

As for inexpensive meals for family--try an old school casserole. I usually make mine with spinach, tomatoes, chicken, spices, and egg to bind it together. But you can alter any casserole dish to be paleo. Most recipes use flour of some kind to get the casserole to set--you can use flax meal to replace the flour, but I find that egg works well enough. It allows you to stretch your meat, load up on the vegetables, and you can throw some cheese on top to entice the kids (if the adults are sticking to no dairy, you can always leave cheese off of part of it).
  • lrhess2
    Options

As for chocolate - that's actually one thing you don't need to give up unless it's (chocolate/cocoa itself) a trigger for you. Just go for the dark chocolates - the darker the better. Chocolate is actually good for you when eaten "in moderation" (ie - on average of like 1oz a day). It's packed with antioxidents and flavanols the provide a ton of benefits, including heart benefits, cortisol reduction, and many others. The catch, though, is that milk ruins them (so milk chocolate is out), and the purer the chocolate, the better. Find one that's as dark as you can handle (might be worth starting with ~70% and working up from there; I've found 80-85% to be ideal), and work up from there. Ideally, it should be somewhat high in fat and low in carbs, and if you can, avoid the ones with soy lecithin in them.

I didn't realize this, thanks!
  • lrhess2
    Options
    Thank you everyone, for all your feedback. I really appreciate all the information I have received! After a lot of research and suggestions, I think I will just skip the Paleo breads for now. It seems like that might be the better road. Do you guys use Organic soy sauce on any of your stir-fry dishes? From what I have read, the organic soy sauce is kind of a grey area, but I think it would really help out in our stir-fry's. We are going to pick up a bottle and give it a try.