Just starting, would anyone share diary for lchf please?

Options
kkmayes
kkmayes Posts: 27 Member
I am 45 (almost 46) and have been eating keto since 1/2/14. I have a hard time in the past getting into keto and show trace amounts. I must face I am one of those who needs to keep my carbs very low, even under 20 grams. I made my first bullet proof coffee yesterday and today using kerigold 1tbs and coconut oil 1 tbs plus heavy cream. I was very surprised it was good! I have a hard time with my diary and would like to see others for help.

Replies

• bernicem77
    bernicem77 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I just started also. Feel free to add me.
  • birdiecs
    birdiecs Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I'm around your age, 43 and started keto 12/11/13. It's important to stay consistently under 20G for most people the first 4-6wks. Your body has to become adapted.

My body is now getting locked in and I'm feeling the benefits in increased energy, clarity, etc. I'm also doing Stronglifts and this past week I finally had gains in my lifting. So as hard as it is to be strict with the 20G, it really does make a difference.
  • DehydrationStation
    Options
    Yes, 20g of carbs is where you want to be when you start, as @birdiecs said. Sure, some people can enter keto with higher carbs, but why mess around? Show your body you mean business.

Trace ketones is fine. There is no HARD or SOFT keto. If you're producing ketones, no matter how little, you're in ketosis.

I find myself putting 35% whipping cream in everything now. Coffee, protein shakes, scrambled eggs. It is one of the perks of keto as far as I'm concerned.
  • darlingdani83
    Options
    I don't mind adding anyone who is looking for friends, so feel free to add me if you're interested. I'm still relatively new to keto, I've been at it for almost 3 months, but I do my research and I'm happy to be anybody's "guinea pig" if it will help you! Lol...if you haven't yet, I'd highly recommend using the keto calculator at http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/ to calculate your macros. Ideally, it's best for your calorie intake to consist of 70% or more fat and less than 5% of carbs, with the remainder being protein. Realistically (for me anyhow) I usually hit about 60-65% calories from fat, with 7% or less from carbs and approx. 25-30% or so from protein. But I usually do a lot better when I can keep my fat on the higher side while keeping my calories from carbs under 4%.

Above all else, listen to your body! We all react just a teeny bit differently on this diet, so if there's something that doesn't work for you, omit it for a while and see what happens. Don't be afraid to play around until you find your "just right" ratio. And good luck! If you're dedicated and pay attention to what you're putting in your body, you will go far on this diet :)
  • darlingdani83
    Options
    Yes, 20g of carbs is where you want to be when you start, as @birdiecs said. Sure, some people can enter keto with higher carbs, but why mess around? Show your body you mean business.

Trace ketones is fine. There is no HARD or SOFT keto. If you're producing ketones, no matter how little, you're in ketosis.

I find myself putting 35% whipping cream in everything now. Coffee, protein shakes, scrambled eggs. It is one of the perks of keto as far as I'm concerned.

I enjoy that "perk" too! hehe
  • KnitSewSpin
    KnitSewSpin Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I am pretty new to this as well. Feel free to add me! My diary is open to friends.
  • LoveSanrio
    Options
    My diary is open as well, but I must confess, it isn't full of variety LOL! I just eat what works for me, and stick with what I know as of now because I don't want to get knocked out of ketosis. Once I hit the 6 week mark or so and know I am keto adapted I may venture out a bit more.
  • linda231
    linda231 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Your welcome to add me, I just started about a month ago and I'm learning as well.
    Linda
  • darlingdani83
    Options
    My diary is open as well, but I must confess, it isn't full of variety LOL! I just eat what works for me, and stick with what I know as of now because I don't want to get knocked out of ketosis. Once I hit the 6 week mark or so and know I am keto adapted I may venture out a bit more.

Yeah I definitely don't have a ton of variety in mine either! I just eat what works for me and keeps me in ketosis :)
  • MistressPi
    MistressPi Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    My diary is open. :)

Please feel free to add me as a friend!

I am posting recipes on my blog here.

As others have mentioned, it takes a couple of weeks to become keto-adapted.

The ketone test strips don't always show how many ketones you are burning. This is because the color of the strips varies depending on how much water you're drinking and excreting. And when you start using ketones for fuel, less shows up in your urine.
  • LeahMaria26
    LeahMaria26 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    My diary is open and I aim to keep my net carbs below 20 grams each day. Happy to accept any new keto buddies :)
  • CBDoll
    CBDoll Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I started on January 1st and have found that the Bulletproof coffee is a GODSEND! Right now, I'm mostly eating breakfast and dinner and don't seem to be very hungry after that. Last night I made some awesome meatballs from ground beef & chorizo and had a small salad with full fat blue cheese dressing. Best meal that I've had since starting this lifestyle.

Currently my plan is to stay under 20g of carbs for 8 weeks. I'm not sure how people eat so much food on this way of eating but most of the time I'm not hungry and find that I am eating for fuel, rather than hunger. I'm also a little scared to venture into cooking with no carb flour, diet sodas, sugar free treats etc. since I'm not much of a snacker and I feel like that would be riding a slippery slope.

I'm happy to accept friends, please add me and I can share my diary. Five pounds down today (from the holiday gain) back to my beginning tracker weight.

Best wishes everyone.
  • crepes_
    crepes_ Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I have a bit of experience with a LCHF diet and would love to be available to help in case you ever need it. My diary is set to "Friends Only", and I log everything I eat. Add me! I love new friends. The more the merrier, because not only does it help keep you accountable, but you pick up new recipes here and there from like-minded folk.
  • jhiggi83
    jhiggi83 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    My diary is open to the public if you want to look
  • kholcomb51
    kholcomb51 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I just recommitted myself to doing strict keto as it worked for me before. I'm 52, my diary is open, and it's pretty varied as I'm a total foodie and love to cook. Feel free to add me.
  • MistressPi
    MistressPi Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I started on January 1st and have found that the Bulletproof coffee is a GODSEND!

(snip)

Currently my plan is to stay under 20g of carbs for 8 weeks. I'm not sure how people eat so much food on this way of eating but most of the time I'm not hungry and find that I am eating for fuel, rather than hunger. I'm also a little scared to venture into cooking with no carb flour, diet sodas, sugar free treats etc. since I'm not much of a snacker and I feel like that would be riding a slippery slope.

Your instincts are good. If you cut out all sugars and starches, you will rapidly lose your desire for sweets. In not much time at all, even some veggies will taste "sweet", and things like diet sodas might even taste cloyingly sweet. But if you immediately start making LC sweets, you might be tempted to have them every day, and you won't be getting the bulk of your carb allowance from salads and veggies (which is where you should be getting them).

A lot of people like bulletproof coffee. I usually drink mine black, but lots of folks report high energy from adding the butter and coconut oil to their coffee.
  • jeniwilmot
    jeniwilmot Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I started on New Years Day so I'm on day 8 of a ketogenic / LCHF diet. Feel free to check out my diary. I believe it's set to public, but if not add me as a friend. Kudos to you!
  • alohaLCHF
    Options
    I started December 2013 and my diary is open. Feel free to add me!
  • DLynn50
    Options
    I too am just starting the keto eating and would love to be added and have the support of others. I am 49 and have never heard of keto until a few days ago when a friend sent me the refit/keto link. I have lost 5 pds in 5 days and I am THRILLED but want to make the change completely.
  • Chris_B62
    Chris_B62 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I have an open diary and am always looking for new keto friends. Feel free to add me.