Graves Disease-weight loss??

Options
Hey all!
I'm new to this so be kind please! :) I'm 29 y/o female. It has been a little over a year since I went into a thyroid storm, ended up in the ER and found out I had Graves. Before that I had been dropping weight like crazy. I had always been 200 lb.+ so I couldn't complain when I suddenly found myself at 165. Unfortunately after medication I have ballooned back up and gained nearly 60 lbs.(I'll admit I went through a horrible self pity phase and decided I didn't care and started eating whatever I wanted, being antisocial, hating everything and everybody.)
So anyways my last endo visit was 2 months ago and she said that things were going well and cut down my medication. I'm currently on Methimazole 5mg twice a day and Atenolol 50mg once a day. She did say I was allowed to do some light exercise and that weight loss will happen.. But all I hear are horror stories about how no matter what one does you can't lose weight? I started this past week by doing 3 miles a day and have ordered some beachbody DVDs. My diet has drastically changed since I've cut out soda and a lot of other quick easy junk/fast food. I'm going to try a bit of a modified paleo diet. But will this even matter if my thyroid isn't functioning correctly? I want to be motivated to follow this through but I get frustrated so easily and am afraid I might just give up again and crawl back into my shell. I'm trying to be realistic and give myself a year to attempt to lose around 30 lbs. I would really like to hear if anyone has had any successful weight loss?

Replies

• Dietcise
    Dietcise Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have Graves Disease and took Methimazole but that med is not something to stay on long term. My endocrinologist eventually recommended removing my thyroid so I opted for radio iodine therapy. I once experienced the joy of being thin, wearing fashionable clothes and eating whatever I wanted while hyperthyroid (Graves). After radiation (hypothroidism), I gained 25 lbs. within two years and had absolutely no energy to do anything. It's been a long journey but working with a good endocrinologist to keep my medicine exact so my thyroid levels are correct has been key. I feel better and want to exercise and focus on my diet now.
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Not be mean or anything, but you can use it as an excuse or you can overcome it. I had Graves and they had to kill my thyroid with the radiation. I have other things that hamper weight loss, but I'm doing it.

Eating healthy and exercise are key for anyone no matter what health conditions you have. No one is perfect. Cutting soda and all processed food is excellent to start with. Paleo is good to start with but give it all or nothing. We all, including myself want to diet, but don't want to do everything. Big mistake. Paleo is pretty healthy in that it encourages you to eat mostly fruits and veggies. Eventually you want to eat without "dieting", so you need to learn to eat as healthy as possible.

We all fall off the wagon, we all use any excuse not to exercise, but once you make the decision to do it whole heartedly, you will enjoy it more and stick with it easier.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    If I can lose w/ Hashimoto's, you can lose w/ Graves. I lost slowly, but I lost.
  • Samphires
    Samphires Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    (sorry - accidental post)
  • Samphires
    Options
    I had the same problem with the medication - my endocrinologist kept putting back my appointment for months and months, so I ended up being on a higher dose of carbimazole than necessary for 8 months - In this time I dieted and exercised (as much as I could because I was absolutely exhausted) and was still gaining 3lbs per week. I was completely demoralised by it and I stopped trying and the pounds just kept piling on and on.

With graves I only lost 15lbs (to my lightest since I was 14), but on carbimazole I gained 80lbs - my heaviest weigh ever. After about 4 weeks of being on the correct dose, my weight seemed to settle finally. However, this is 40lbs heavy than I've ever been and I'm finding the concept of battling the pounds all over again absolutely draining. But I am GOING to lose the weight.

Don't think 'theres no point in dieting and exercising if my thyroid isn't functioning correctly' - make every effort you normally would do. Even if it only means you maintain the weight and don't lose anything...at least it'll be easier when you dose is reduced.
  • Samphires
    Options
    I saw a picture of myself just before I was diagnosed with graves and I barely look like the same person - Thin (my version of thin!), I have a small unobvious goitre, huge bags under my eyes, and my hair is so thick and wiry.

However bad I feel about having gained all this weight...and I do feel absolutely TERRIBLE about it... I'm glad that I no longer have an over active thyroid. I was thin, but I was too ill to feel the benefit of it.
  • KMHtime
    KMHtime Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have struggled with this as well. I was diagnosed with Graves about ten years ago, and had developed a fast heart beat because it went undiagnosed too long. So I did he radioactive iodine, and was taken off any hormones for about 6 months, and I gained about 60 lbs. It was depressing, because I couldn't exercise at the time. Since then, I've gained and lost, and need to lose again. I have trouble getting my level stable and it seems that my dosage for synthroid continues to creep up. Not an excuse for not losing weight, I have changes to make to my diet and exercise. I wish I consistently had energy though!
  • GardenGirlie
    GardenGirlie Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with Graves about 12 years ago. I am on 250mcg of Levothyroxin daily, having had the radioactive iodine treatment.

Despite having lap band surgery out of pocket back in 2010 to the tune of $15,000 I truly only got serious about healthy weight loss July 5th of last year. My band is completely empty and is not part of the success I am experiencing, I promise.

I am down 68 pounds and have no intention of stopping until I am at a healthy weight for me. I am definitely in it for another year to accomplish that.

It can be done. The order of necessary elements for my success have been 1) Water 2) Nutrition/Diet 3) Exercise.

I am turning 49 in May and I am in Perimenopause. It would be truthful to say that I have several strikes against me but I don't think about them. It is possible, it is work and sacrifice and most importantly....it is totally worth it!!!
  • KimmieSue2011
    KimmieSue2011 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    When I first got diagnosed with Graves disease, I was on methimizole, gained 10 lbs and COULD NOT lose it. After 18 months or so on it, I stopped taking it and am now in remission. At first, I could eat more and maintain my (higher) weight. Then in January I gave up sugar and artificial sweeteners and now I am (SLOWLY) losing weight. I have MFP configured to lose 1/2 lb a week and I only input 1/3 of my exercise and I pick the easier description (e.g. if I felt like I swam hard for 60 minutes I would input as exercise that I swam easy for 20 minutes.) With those things I have gotten down to 156 from 163 ish. When I started on MFP I was at 158 but then I got up to 164 or so. I'm trying to get down to 150, and for the first time, it feels possible, although I am certain it will take several months. I was only going to give sugar up for this year, 2014, but I may stay off it entirely because it does keep me from overeating. I'm not one who craves chips or salty junk food, so without sugar my diet is pretty healthy.

Good luck to you.
  • donnab737
    Options
    Not be mean or anything, but you can use it as an excuse or you can overcome it. I had Graves and they had to kill my thyroid with the radiation. I have other things that hamper weight loss, but I'm doing it.

Eating healthy and exercise are key for anyone no matter what health conditions you have. No one is perfect. Cutting soda and all processed food is excellent to start with. Paleo is good to start with but give it all or nothing. We all, including myself want to diet, but don't want to do everything. Big mistake. Paleo is pretty healthy in that it encourages you to eat mostly fruits and veggies. Eventually you want to eat without "dieting", so you need to learn to eat as healthy as possible.

We all fall off the wagon, we all use any excuse not to exercise, but once you make the decision to do it whole heartedly, you will enjoy it more and stick with it easier.

Not to be mean or anything myself as I am quoting your post, but I have Graves and I too had Radioactive Iodine Treatment to ablate (kill) the thyroid. First I would like to say maybe, just maybe you were one of the lucky ones not to have serious issues with meds and getting your body to adjust properly and accept the medication and function properly. Therefore, for those of you readers it is a shame that people say "You are using this as a excuse or you can overcome it!" Just remember get the meds right first and then you can feel good enough to overcome it!!!

With your meds not correct you can be extremely tired and NOT have the ENERGY to workout! That is a fact not an excuse! Paleo isn't mainly fruits and nuts. If someone is going to make the lifestyle change to live "Paleo" then one must know if one eats too much fruit and nuts, then they will not loose the proper amount of weight. Additionally, just because while eating Paleo and eating the Paleo way doesn't mean you can eat all the coconut flour desserts or squash/bacon/acorn squash items. If you do just plan on not losing the weight! If you want to do "Paleo" for weight loss and to feel better, then plan on eating mainly the protein/ veggies/ avocado's/ very small amounts of fruit until the weight comes off. Once this occurs then and only then do you begin eating the deserts and using the heavy coconut cream, etc. PALEO DOES NOT ENCOURAGE YOU TO "MOSTLY EAT FUIT AND NUTS." For those of you wanting to go Paleo "Really" study it and understand it. It wants you to stop eating refined sugars, refined carbs like white flour, etc., and bad fats like oils that are not coconut oil, coconut butter, or avocado's, etc. Grassfeed Beef, Organic Chickens, that don't have tons of hormones, Nitrate free bacon are the recommended meats, etc. Organic eggs.

Good Luck to everyone going through this!! How unfortunate that we have to suffer this dreaded disease and good luck with getting your meds right. I believe it is trial and error and even once stabilized for long periods of time, I have personally experienced that there will always be changes that have to be made periodically.

Big Hugs to EVERYONE dealing with this!!:drinker: I'm not a drinker....but cheers to all of you!!!