How am I doing?

Options
tastethis
tastethis Posts: 68 Member
Would any of you guys mind checking out my dairy entries and seeing if I'm doing this right? Any improvements or suggestions for me? I'd really appreciate it.

Replies

• bernicem77
    bernicem77 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm a newby, so not sure if I'm the best person to give advise. Someone told me that my protein should be less than my fat.

I also track fiber in order to calculate my net carbs, but you are under 20 carbs anyway so I don't think that's a problem.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    % of calories from protein should be under % of calories from fat... it can be perfectly fine for raw grams of protein to exceed raw grams of fat.

On protein you're a bit high today but honestly I doubt it will have an adverse effect unless you drastically exceed it daily and you're already near your "threshold" for carbs (as in, the point at which you can get knocked out of ketosis). Overall looks good - I generally like to try and get more veggies, but it's not a must.
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Agree with parkscs, the fat grams should be more than protein grams. An easy way to get fat in your meal in a healthy and cost effective manner is fry up some frozen veg in butter (so many varieties to choose from like asparagus, spinach, kale, green beans, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, broccoli, etc). This way the carbs are low, protein low, and lots of fat grams from butter....and it's yummy! :wink:

I also noticed that you like to indulge in snacks, like Atkins peanut butter cup. To save money (cause you know those Atkins products can be pricey) you can make fat bombs (like chocolate peanut butter fat bombs with dark chocolate, peanut butter and coconut butter).

Also, be careful with your high protein intake. If it's too high, your body will convert excess to glucose via a process called gluconeogenesis. Kinda defeats the purpose of eating low carb to begin with. You can use a keto calculator to determine your macro needs. http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com

Good luck!
  • tastethis
    Options
    I'm incredibly picky. It's very hard for me to want to just eat veggies by themselves, whether fried in butter or not :/ Also, every time I've tried making a fat bomb it's been a total failure. They just don't turn out right, aren't sweet, etc. I honestly don't even mind spending the extra cash just to have a snack readily available to me!
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I'm incredibly picky. It's very hard for me to want to just eat veggies by themselves, whether fried in butter or not :/ Also, every time I've tried making a fat bomb it's been a total failure. They just don't turn out right, aren't sweet, etc. I honestly don't even mind spending the extra cash just to have a snack readily available to me!

Hey, that's totally cool that you don't mind spending the cash for treats. What I hear people complain a lot is that they can't do low carb cause it's too expensive, so I'm always trying to help out that way. That's great money is not an issue for you!

And hey it's cool that you don't like the veggie thing either. Everybody has to find what works for them, it's a challenge that we all face. I too had to figure out what to do in my diet to get those fat grams up. I hope you figure it out. Good luck, sweetheart.
  • cchild2
    cchild2 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of coconut oil. Good source of fat and the medium chain triglycerides help with ketosis.

Fat bomb I use is 1 cup coc oil, 1 stick butter, 1 package Trader Joe's 85% choc lovers, 8 splenda, 2-4 scoops of Dynatize Gourmet Chocolate protein powder. Melt everything then add powder. The Powder gives it a unique texture, but I like it. I pour this into 10 cupcake liners, then in the fridge.
  • acpoind
    acpoind Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Do you like coffee? I make coffee every morning with unrefined coconut oil, heavy whipping cream, and some sweeteners. This really helps with getting enough fat, even though that is usually not a problem for me. It also gives me a boost of energy to start the day!!
  • tastethis
    Options
    fruttibiscott - Thank you for the encouragement!

acpoind - I usually don't really care too much for coffee. I did get a little personal blender, so I'm gonna play around with that until I find a nice balance of coffee and stuff that I like. I need something portable for breakfast!
  • Pyrrhus_Thisbe
    Pyrrhus_Thisbe Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If you don't like coffee, you could do the same in tea.