XBOX ONE PS4

Options
MarliQQ
MarliQQ Posts: 112 Member
Hey guys. Looking to get a new console soon. Was wondering has anybody gotten either the XBOX ONE or PS4, and what have been their experiences, as well as why you made that choice? Thanks guys

Replies

• tayloryay
    tayloryay Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    My family and I conspired to get my husband a PS4 this Christmas. So far he's really enjoyed Battlefield 4, but we haven't explored it too much outside of that. I want to get the camera for it to play with the included mini-games, and maybe to get a fitness related game. Though right now it looks like the only one that is out is Just Dance 2014. We went with PS4 over XBone mostly due to a bunch of deal-breakers with the XB like the always-on camera/kinect, and just a general preference for Sony. We do have a 360 but it doesn't get used nearly as much as the PS3, so PS4 seemed like the natural choice. There also weren't any games exclusive to the XB that we cared about.
  • asimmons221
    asimmons221 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I have a xbox one, I can't complain really, though there aren't many titles right now to choose from. The reason I chose Xbox one over ps4 is because I couldn't find any PS4's. I really don't think you could go wrong with either, I'd make my selection over the titles you want to play.
  • StarGeezer
    Options
    I've had both since launch. Both are solid consoles, both have limited titles right now (but with many more to come very soon), both are comparable in terms of performance and graphics, and both have sought-after features that are in the pipeline to be supported by their respective companies.

I got the PlayStation Camera for the PS4 for Christmas, so both now have cameras (in fact, the PS4 camera sits on top of the Kinect camera on my entertainment center.) I don't find the notion of them being on to be overly intrusive, but for what it's worth both consoles run just fine without the camera connected if you're concerned about privacy. Or you could always just drape a dark cloth over the camera(s), either way would work.

If it comes down to an either/or and you don't have any console-specific exclusives you're looking at (i.e., inFAMOUS: Second Son on the PS4 or Titanfall on the XBO), then go ahead and get the PS4. Very easy to use, $100 cheaper (unless you buy the camera for it), and plenty of quality titles coming to keep everyone happy.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    PS4 here. It's early days still, not a huge assortment of games just yet, but that'll come and what's here now is a blast and looks great!
  • Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    PS4 here. Xbox One when it's a sensible price. From what I've played (about 3 hours of Resogun, 5 hours of Killzone, 4 hours of NFS Rivals and 15 hours of FIFA 14) and lots of messing around with the UI it's a very nice machine. Online functions are much improved, streamlined UI is lovely and the controller is superb. But I got a bit hooked on Saints Row IV for the whole of December so I've not really used it as much as I should've.
  • batesmama
    batesmama Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Love my Xbox One! They need to update a few of the party and message features, but overall it's great. I haven't tried any Kinect games yet, but I have a feeling they will be super. The Kinect works much better than the old model.
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    I think with either of them, it's going to boil down to what exclusive content you enjoy more, for instance, Uncharted vs whatever is exclusive to Microsoft lol.

Can't go wrong either way, just wish there was some sort of backwards compatibility.
  • Vic_of_Steel
    Vic_of_Steel Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Xbox One all the way. The features are just awesome. There are some kinks that need to be worked on but I am sure that will come. I love how I can control it by speaking to it. Also the xbox has this cool Xbox One Fitness App so you really don't need any fitness games to be out because it has workout videos intergrated on the system that work with the Kinect as a game. Not knocking the PS4 I hear it's a great system but to me the XBOX ONE is made for so much more and that makes it a winner in my book.
  • bno76
    bno76 Posts: 18
    Options
    Xbox one here. It is a little bit more expensive than the PS4 (in my country anyway) but I think the xbox is well worth the buy. I like being able to pause or rewind with voice command and it works well nearly every time for me if I speak in a clear voice. There isn't too much in the way of games yet, but that seems to be the same with both consoles. The only complaint I have about the XBOX ONE is that it doesn't come with a connector charge cable for the controller. I was hemorrhaging batteries for a little bit but that can be fixed by buying a plug and play kit. Now if they would just confirm a Fallout 4...
  • MarliQQ
    MarliQQ Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I will begin looking at the game content out there for both consoles, and eventually I will probably have both, its just for now I can only afford one or the other. And yes, backwards compatibility would be a dream, I think that Sony and Microsoft would sell more consoles in that case, but they are always thinking about digging their hands in our pockets long term. I think I am leaning towards the PS4, and that is only because I am dealing with Microsoft on some 360 issues that all of a sudden arose after my last update...
  • StarGeezer
    Options
    Regarding backward compatibility: Both Sony and Microsoft have said (in very vague terms) that they intend to support some sort of streaming support of older games in the future. I'm not at all sure how solid this relatively new technology is going to work, but it's slated for both consoles. There are many unanswered questions, such as: if I already own a disc version of the game, will I get to play the game for free or at least at a greatly reduced cost? Should be interesting to see where this goes.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    Don't have either yet and it will be a while before I get one. I'll likely get both since there are certain titles I like that are exclusive to each console but I will get the Xbox One first since almost all of my friends are on Live.
  • batesmama
    batesmama Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks BigVic! I was not aware of the fitness app. Just downloaded it and I am excited to try it!
  • Fodao
    Fodao Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    After a lot of research and consideration, I switched from the Xbox (360) to the PS(4).

I think they're both great systems, but your choice probably depends on what you want out of your console. I don't watch television or share the gaming monitor w/any TV-watchers, so none of the TV integration features appealed to me. I have a desktop computer for apps (such as Skype.) And I didn't want a Kinect, so I couldn't justify paying $100 more for the privilege of having it (and having 10% of my console's processor power being sapped away to keep it running.)

Plus, I was still fairly bitter about MIcrosoft's short-lived announcement last summer of their draconian DRM and "always 'net-connected" intentions. Thankfully (for the XBO users) the gaming community stopped being game-addicted sheep for just a moment and actually used their power as consumers to force MS to change its tune within a few days.

I did lose quite a few online friends with the switch, but overall I'm happy with my purchase.
  • asimmons221
    asimmons221 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Thanks BigVic! I was not aware of the fitness app. Just downloaded it and I am excited to try it!

It's what I use primarily as of right now, not enough titles that catch my attention yet.
  • Zomoniac
    Options
    Regarding backward compatibility: Both Sony and Microsoft have said (in very vague terms) that they intend to support some sort of streaming support of older games in the future. I'm not at all sure how solid this relatively new technology is going to work, but it's slated for both consoles. There are many unanswered questions, such as: if I already own a disc version of the game, will I get to play the game for free or at least at a greatly reduced cost? Should be interesting to see where this goes.

Sony have now said in less vague terms that it's coming soon (this summer in the US), PS3 streaming to PS4, Vita and new Bravias. No word yet on whether existing ownership will count for anything though.
  • Zomoniac
    Options
    And yes, backwards compatibility would be a dream, I think that Sony and Microsoft would sell more consoles in that case, but they are always thinking about digging their hands in our pockets long term.

I suspect they were more thinking about how exactly they were going to emulate a tri-core PPC or a Cell in software on a low-power x86. Nintendo manage it by using the same main architecture every time with a bit more power. That wasn't a practical option for the other two unless they wanted to carry on the tradition of either having an impossibly difficult to develop for machine or one that was prone to spontaneously melting. It would be nigh on impossible for it to work on a technical level.
  • chrisyoung0422
    chrisyoung0422 Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    For the first time I went with one and it was the PS4. I wanted a game machine as I already have an HTPC and whatnot. I cannot complain. The release titles are little thin but that's with most new console drops. I love the clean and simple interface on the PS4. Nothing is really hidden and you are not smashed in the face with a bunch of social media.
  • Fodao
    Fodao Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    ...Nothing is really hidden and you are not smashed in the face with a bunch of social media.

I hear that! That, and the ads. One thing that drove me up the wall with the XBox 360 was the pervasive ads. If I'm paying for service, I don't wants ads. Make your service free, then you can ad me to death...
  • Vic_of_Steel
    Vic_of_Steel Posts: 570 Member
    Options

You're welcome. A lot of people weren't aware of it. I think it's awesome :)