Happy New Year! What are your goals?

Options
HI! Hope everyone had a great holiday season! Now that it is over, it's time to get back on track, for me anyway... I slacked big time so I am now starting fresh...I reset my weight loss tracker and I am ready!

I just want to be healthier in general. I have signed up for the gym and plan to make changes throughout the year to improve upon myself, physically and mentally. I want to feel better about myself and enjoy clothes shopping again. I want to get out and do more new things...I want to start living and stop just existing. Since I am not happy with myself I have let other things go as well, such as how I dress and look when I go out. I got stuck in the "why bother" mindset but I am ready to change all that and start taking care of myself. I know that once I start losing weight I will have more energy and be more motivated and begin to feel better about myself.

As far as my horse...I want to take him to as many hunter paces and trail rides as I can cram into this year and win some ribbons... When I first got him I tried out the ring work with him and I can tell he is just not into it...he will tolerate it but he is much happier out on the trails, and I am fine with that...if he is happy I am happy...I wouldn't want someone trying to make me something I am not.

Oh, and I am taking up sewing...I bought a sewing machine and I want to learn to make saddle pads and possibly open an etsy store in the future if they actually come out good...but we shall see...first need to figure out how to use the machine lol!

I was wondering what everyone's goals for the year are, both for yourself and for your horses and/or riding?

Replies

• nasska16
    nasska16 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I'm new to MFP and was happy to find this group. Good luck with your sewing endeavors!!! I have a sewing machine but it exists only to repair the winter blankets my horses insist on destroying! Only broken 4 needles so far this winter ha ha lol!

I am a barrel racer with a few moderately talented horses, and I really want to ramp it up a level this year, and I feel that shedding this extra weight I've been hanging onto will really help me do that! Need some encouragement to keep working over the winter...it is currently -11 degrees at 2:30 in the afternoon in Wisconsin today, and its hard to get much done at the barn today! Mostly trying to keep the water tanks from freezing! So I'm trying to work off my frustration by working out indoors. My usual routine when I'm upset is to eat! That's been a tough battle today...super stressed considering the water to my entire house froze overnight :(

Help! I don't want to create more problems by turning to food today!
  • belles783
    Options
    Wow! That's COLD!! I just got a water heater for my 100 gallon stock tank and it works great, but I don't know how it would do in -11 degree weather!

That's a great goal you have, and it sounds fun...I have never barrel raced before...

I eat when I am bored too, and being cold makes it hard to play with the horses... Maybe clean some tack indoors to occupy your hands and mind until dinner?

Stay warm!!
  • Healingnutritionsolutions
    Options
    Goal for me - lose another 30# or so (fitness more important than actual weight) by the end of the year, finish grad school, and find a new job (or get the clinic to hire me in new role).

Goal for horses - break in Belle, and complete Dawn - start on barrels, log some serious riding hours starting in the Summer when life slows back down a bit to real time vs. current warp speed. Get my daughters riding and working them too.
  • hoyalawya2003
    hoyalawya2003 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Goals for they year:

Work my way up to jumping 2' fences (just started over crossrails after Xmas--longtime walking horse rider, now switching to hunters)

Compete in at least one show (probably just on the flat)

Continue weight loss (aiming for another 37 lbs, but realistically don't expect to get there this year--I am a slow loser)

Finish c25k to increase my cardio/stamina for riding

Start (and finish!) Body By You for strength training increases

Pay off at least one (hopefully 2) student loans--once those two are gone, can possibly talk my husband into letting me buy a horse!
  • featherbrained
    featherbrained Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Great goals, guys!

I'm not making any this year. Seems I just set myself up for failure. And the way this weather is going, I dunno if my butt will ever see a saddle again! We've gone from 45 degrees and rain to -30below windchills , back to 50 degrees and rain in a week. Supposed to be cold but nice tomorrow, but there is about a 1/2 tons worth of poop to pick up before I can even think about 'playin' ;)

I just want to ride. And lose weight. Guess I'll see where the year takes me.
  • epiphany29
    epiphany29 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

My goal is to get my new horse fit and compete with him in Training level dressage. I also want us to go on as many trail rides as possible, potentially some hunter paces and trail trials as well.

Fitness wise, I just want to keep improving. My trainer says that over the last 3 months my position, posture and stamina have improved quite a bit. So I just have to keep working on that core.

Vicki
  • nasska16
    nasska16 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    ha ha, you must live near me. I'm from WI and we just had -50 windchills and then proceeded to have a 33 degree thaw 7 days later. Where you from?
  • epiphany29
    epiphany29 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    In working towards our goals, I had my 5th ride today on Brego (weather has made it impossible because I don't have an indoor). We trailered to a place with an indoor and we took a lesson in a clinic with a trainer who comes in once a month. We did more together than I had imagined we could. He's got a pretty big trot and I can't quite keep up with him, but we did some leg yielding and started to learn turn on the forehand.

I think we are going to have a great year ahead!
  • hoyalawya2003
    hoyalawya2003 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Vicki, that is great that you had a good lesson! I am impatiently waiting for better weather, too.

I hope everyone else posts updates periodically!

So far, I have:

Practiced flying lead changes for the first time ever! Had a really good lesson that day, but had to skip this past weekend. Still working up my courage to tell my trainer that I want to show (but she probably already knows, lol).

I have lost 3 lbs since I posted above. Slow and steady is what I am aiming for!

I just finished week 5 of the c25k--I actually ran for 20 min without stopping yesterday! This is huge for me; I couldn't do that even in high school!!

I FINALLY started Body By You on Saturday night; plan to do the second day tonight. I guess the break from lessons was good--I couldn't use soreness as an excuse this weekend!

My budget is still mostly on track--recovery from Xmas spending is ongoing, but I have done pretty well overall. I splurged on a new dress that is still a little snug, but will hopefully fit by Easter.