How long to wait to test T4, T3, etc?

Options
scg17
scg17 Posts: 88 Member
Hello,
The last few months I've been having extreme energy, cold, etc, issues. I didn't think too much of it, as I'm 8 months into a demanding job, and heck, it's been cold this winter. Then I started getting cystic acne (I'm not quite 26), and I never even had normal acne as a teenager. Anyway, I decided something must be hormonally off, so I switched birth control and got a blood panel done just in case, wasn't really expecting anything.

Anyway, my TSH came back at 4.5 (or like 4.45 or something) and my doc made a note saying my thyroid is sluggish and she'd like to retest in 3 months. I called my brother, also a doc, and he told me to go in right away to get my T4 and others tested, since most of the women on my mom's side of the family have hypothyroidism, though no one ever had it in their 20's. He did tell me it could be a false-positive caused by birth control masking as well.

So, I'd rather just know one way or another so I can deal with it, but do you think there is a legit reason to wait three months? Can this sort itself on it's own? I realize I can bug my brother to death about this :) but I'm just curious, and I've only known a couple days my numbers were weird.I have a normal BMI (I've always considered my metabolism to be slow, and compensate by dropping about 200 less calories than I should be able to eat to maintain--which I saw on this board is a typical thing people with hypo have to adjust for). As far as other symptoms go, I'm tired and I struggle with cold weather, but I do work out or ride my horse almost every day. Tend to need 9 hrs of sleep to feel pretty good, my hair is brittle, but my cholesterol is perfect (vegetarian for 15 yrs though).

Anyway, wait three months or go in next week?

Replies

• dianed1974
    Options
    Hi there I have been dealing with Thyroid disease for a few years now. They may have suggested waiting three months to test because your TSH is still considered to be in the "normal" (.5-4.5) range at 4.5. My advice is that if you don't feel well get tested, it won't hurt anything to check your other values. Good luck!
  • JayMri
    JayMri Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I would ask if they also tested your T4 and T3 and what those values are. I know when I have my blood work done they test all three values.
  • scg17
    Options
    They did not test those values, that is what I'm asking about waiting to get tested. This was just a general wellness check, so they had no reason to look for those. I'll probably just get it done soonish, be good to know :)
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    If you're above 4.0, you're hypothyroid. http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003684.htm Not all docs/labs are up to date on the latest info about the levels (it used to be 5 and over).

"The American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists has proposed a range of 0.3 to 3.0 for normal TSH levels. Using these cutoff values would lead to more people being diagnosed with an underactive thyroid (hypothyroidism)."
    http://answers.webmd.com/answers/1198024/what-are-normal-tsh-levels

Don't wait. People who have a normal TSH can still have screwed up free T3 and free T4.

My endocrinologist said that some people at the higher end of the normal level (3-4) still do better on medication. It's not just about numbers, it's about quality of life.

Along with the cold and sluggishness can come weight gain. Also, insulin resistance/diabetes, high BP and high cholesterol are all possible side effects with real health consequences. Plus a lot of my hair fell out.

I let someone tell me I was "normal" when I wasn't and I didn't inquire further. As a result, my TSH was 9 when I finally found a good doctor. I could have avoided a lot of the bad consequences if I'd asked more questions and been a better advocate for myself.
  • Syriene
    Syriene Posts: 238
    Options
    If you're above 4.0, you're hypothyroid. http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003684.htm Not all docs/labs are up to date on the latest info about the levels (it used to be 5 and over).

"The American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists has proposed a range of 0.3 to 3.0 for normal TSH levels. Using these cutoff values would lead to more people being diagnosed with an underactive thyroid (hypothyroidism)."
    http://answers.webmd.com/answers/1198024/what-are-normal-tsh-levels

Don't wait. People who have a normal TSH can still have screwed up free T3 and free T4.

My endocrinologist said that some people at the higher end of the normal level (3-4) still do better on medication. It's not just about numbers, it's about quality of life.

Along with the cold and sluggishness can come weight gain. Also, insulin resistance/diabetes, high BP and high cholesterol are all possible side effects with real health consequences. Plus a lot of my hair fell out.

I let someone tell me I was "normal" when I wasn't and I didn't inquire further. As a result, my TSH was 9 when I finally found a good doctor. I could have avoided a lot of the bad consequences if I'd asked more questions and been a better advocate for myself.

Awesome answer.

Having started a new birth control might throw things off a little, but either way, a TSH over 4 is not "normal". What I have been told/read is that most people feel their best with a TSH of 1.
    Also check your Reverse T3. It can cause problems as well. Here's another link for you to check out
    http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/recommended-labwork/

Good luck!
  • scg17
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I will try to set up an appointment for soonish. Kinda freaked out by the thought of going on medication if I am hypothyroid, but a friend my age says it is worth it for the extra energy. I'll start looking at the links folks gave me. Lol, I guess it'd be nice not to need to sleep so much to be a normal functioning human!
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    If you struggle, just come here and vent. I'm sure I'm not the only one who's been there. And it sucked, but you can come back and be happy, healthy and better than ever!!! :)