Under Calories in MFP but Over in Fitbit?

Options
Yesterday was my first day using fit bit and I'm still getting the hang of how things work. I'm a little confused at how the adjustments worked. (I saw the thread on adjustments but didn't see an answer or an option to post a question there) I set both my MFP and Fitbit settings to 2lbs loss per week, and I'm doing all my logging in MFP. The FitBit Dashboard and MFP seem to synch well with each other as far as what I'm logging into MFP and my steps taken in FitBit. But what I'm thrown off by is that according to MFP I was under my net calorie goal by several hundred calories. But on FitBit (via mobile), I noticed part way through the day that the calorie budget was about 100 less than MFP. Also as the night went on, even after I was done consuming any calories for the day, i was going higher and higher over. I got in a quick mini work out and finished my steps to make sure I was in the green before I went to bed. At 9:30pm I had about 80 or 90 calories to go, but when I woke up this morning I was 54 calories over? I'm confused

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I've removed the calorie over/under tile from my Fitbit dashboard & just go by what MFP says.

For one, Fitbit pro-rates your calories according to the time of day, in order to spread your calories evenly throughout the day. I prefer to eat a larger lunch & smaller dinner, so Fitbit always says I'm over my calorie goal. Also, Fitbit has no minimum calorie requirement. If your TDEE is 1,500 and you set your weight-loss goal to lose 1 lb. per week, you're given 1,000 calories per day.
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    This is interesting to me, as I have the opposite issue. I've been consistently under on FitBit, but over on MFP??? Both are set to the same goals.
  • johngordon14
    Options
    I'm new to Fitbit and MFP, and have been wondering how it all works too.

As far as I can tell Fitbit includes your Base Metabolic Rate for calorie burn - for me it's 68 calls per hour. So throughout the day Fitbit is estimating the Calories remaining, based on how many more likely to be burned off for the rest of the day. I'm not exactly sure though.

Whereas MFP seems much clearer as it doesn't include the BMR, so you know where you are a bit more, with the display showing your daily goal, cals consumed, cals burnt, the net figure and cals remaining.

Fitbit only seems to show the actual figure for cals burned through exercise if you sign up for the premium thing, and even then only on the website dashboard, not in the app (iOS).

So as someone said above, I'm also thinking of switching off or ignoring the calorie displays in the Fitbit app and just using MFP.

So have Fitbit look after the exercise, and MFP log all the diet stuff.

Would be interested to hear what conclusions others have reached though, as I am new to it all.
  • karichelle82
    karichelle82 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue as the OP -- I can be under in MFP but over in FitBit. And after midnight the two seem to reconcile to what FitBit said, ending in me being over in MFP as well. Looks like MFP is overestimating its adjustment just a bit. It does seem to be getting better over time but still isn't totally resolved.
  • MaryMBacon
    MaryMBacon Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    MFP estimates based on what you said for activity
    Fitbit bases it on activity recorded.
    the problem is the fitbit doesn't record all activity, for example it only records stairs if you go up 10 feet, so a stairmaster gets the same calories as walking on flat land.
    it also records nothing on a stationary bike.

If you enter the activity then fitbit just negatively adjusts calories so unless you jog, walk, or climb actual stairs, you have to disable neg calorie adjustments for any meaningful use.
  • luckydays27
    luckydays27 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    To avoid going over on MFP, I try to leave at least 50 cals left over after dinner/dessert is finished.
  • Shellz31
    Shellz31 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue as the OP -- I can be under in MFP but over in FitBit. And after midnight the two seem to reconcile to what FitBit said, ending in me being over in MFP as well. Looks like MFP is overestimating its adjustment just a bit. It does seem to be getting better over time but still isn't totally resolved.

This is how I feel. I'll be under in MFP but over in Fitbit, then after midnight it reconciles to what Fitbit says. Because of this, I use Fitbit amounts. If Fitbit says I have 150 calories and MFP says 350, I go with fitbit.

MFP seems to make huge fitbit adjustments for me. I couldn't figure out why I wasn't losing until I realized MFP was giving me too many calories. I think it's because my activity varies so much day to day. I think MFP is estimating based on past daily totals while I set fitbit to estimate assuming I'll be sedentary the rest of the day.
  • Aes37850
    Options
    I'm also so confused on all of this! Have the same issues. I'm not even sure what my daily calories should be or what I should go off of. I don't know what I have fitbit set on for how active I am, but I changed mfp to sedentary. Which puts me at like 1250 calories I think. But I don't know whether to eat my exercise calories or not! Ugh! What do you guys do? And have you measured your stride length? I have no clue how to do it!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    FitBit has a FAQ on how to measure stride length.

So first start with the basic of weight loss, hopefully just fat loss.

Eat less than what you burn daily - simple as that.

Now you just have to log what you eat, and estimate as best you can what you burn.

MFP (without FitBit input) you select your non-exercise level of activity, and desired weekly loss (hopefully reasonable for only fat loss, not muscle mass too).
    It took your BMR x activity factor and came up with "maintenance" with no exercise included. Non-exercise TDEE in other words.
    Took some calories off for a daily eating goal.
    But if you exercise, your maintenance or TDEE just went up, so taking the same number of calories off means you eat more now.

BMR 1600 x 1.25 activity factor = 2000 maintenance no exercise.
    2000 - 500 goal loss = 1500 eating goal.
    You workout 400 calories + 2000 = 2400 maintenance now with exercise.
    2400 - 500 = 1900 eating goal now.

FitBit when synced is taking the place of 2 things, estimating maintenance without exercise, and logging exercise.
    But you should leave the FitBit side alone, as it has no bearing with the math on the MFP side. Just confusing.

BMR 1600 x 1.25 activity factor = 2000 maintenance no exercise.
    2000 - 500 goal loss = 1500 eating goal.
    FitBit reports to MFP that you actually burned 1200 calories mid-day, so to MFP that looks like 200 in exercise may have been done in the morning.
    Maintenance 2000 + 200 adjustment - 500 deficit = 1700 eating goal.

You end the day and FitBit reports to MFP you actually burned 2400 calories, so to MFP looks like 400 in exercise or just more active than you thought, no matter.
    2000 + 400 - 500 = 1900 eating goal.

Now, if this was actually a typical non-exercise day - then you selected the wrong activity level. Set to Lightly-active so the adjustment isn't so big.

The FitBit is helping to better estimate your actual maintain, so you can now eat below it by the same hopefully reasonable number.

If you log exercise on MFP, even if exactly the same amount FitBit says you burned, that calorie burn replaces what FitBit had logged, everything else happens as described.
  • luckydays27
    Options
    I'm also so confused on all of this! Have the same issues. I'm not even sure what my daily calories should be or what I should go off of. I don't know what I have fitbit set on for how active I am, but I changed mfp to sedentary. Which puts me at like 1250 calories I think. But I don't know whether to eat my exercise calories or not! Ugh! What do you guys do? And have you measured your stride length? I have no clue how to do it!

If you are following the MFP method, you are supposed to eat back your exercise calories because the number is not included in the base number MFP gives you. You should eat the FB calories it gives you as well because this means that you are burning more than what you told MFP you were going to burn.

In my opinion, FB and MFP should be set up with the same weight loss goal (verify it by looking at your goals page - it should tell you what your daily deficit is and projected weight loss is). MFP should also be set to sedentary, unless you are getting a fitbit adjustment of more than 200 cals EVERY DAY when it is set to sedentary. From what I can tell, at least on my settings, the difference between sedentary and lightly active is 200 cals. lightly active to active is another 270 cals. If I were always getting an FB adjustment of at least 200 cals that did not include my exercise, I would set myself to lightly active BUT on Sundays, I am pretty lucky if I my FB adjustment does not take cals away from me because this is my laziest day. There also can be days in the week that I am pretty lazy so having my settings at higher than my laziest day would not be a good thing.

I would rather earn my cals throughout the day, than have them taken away when a sync occurs.

As for OP's issue, its possible your 2 lb a week weight loss goal is to aggressive. I dont know what your actual settings are or your weight but you have 50 lbs to lose according to your tracker and you picture is cute and does not make you look like you need to lose a lot of weight SO, maybe 2 lbs a week is not actually setting here on MFP. If you look at your goals page, does it tell you that you are set at 1200 with a planned 2 lb a week loss? If it does not, then you need to adjust your settings on FB to match what MFP is allowing you as a maximum weight loss goal (keeping you always above 1200 - FB will let you go lower though and this might be causing your discrepancy).

Also, do the numbers match up at the end of the day? If so, then all is well because MFP and FB use different calorie algorithms but they are close to each other.

If you are coming up with the difference during the day (MFP says you have 300 cals left FB says you have 200 cals left), the reason is because MFP takes your statistics plus your weight loss goal plus your claimed activity level and comes up with a number. FB takes your statistics plus your weight loss goal and your ACTUAL activity level and comes up with a number. If your actual activity level is less than what your stated activity level is, you are going to have a difference between them. But as FB continues to update MFP with your actual activity, MFP will gradually (as the day gets closer to ending) go lower and lower until it matches what FB said you actually burned.
  • bkw61
    bkw61 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    A trainer told me to lose weight I should not eat back the calories.So I have been eating only my alloted calories. BUT my loss has been extremely slow. Which my be my age, 52. :(

So your saying I should eat back my calories? A but scary to do this while trying to lose weight.

I am 5.4 and 140. I want to lose another 2-5 lbs. I am eating 1300 calories, and burning 300-500 a day per Fitbit and about what I was calculating before I got it in Dec. I have lost 18 lbs since Sept.

I basically use the activity calories, as just are reference to encourage me to keep working on burning more.
  • luckydays27
    Options
    Im confused also. As a trainer told me to lose weight I should not eat back the calories.So I eat only my alloted calories. BUT my loss has been extremely slow. Which my be my age, 52.

I use the activity calories, as just are reference to encourage me to keep working on burning more.

Still I would like FITBit TO UPDATE with MFP more often than it does.

If you are following the TDEE method, your fitness calories are included in the number you are supposed to eat.
    If you are following the MFP method, your fitness calories are not included and therefore anything you burn, you are supposed to eat.

You are close to goal so the weight loss is going to be slower. You are burning less calories and need less calories to function. For this very same reason, I workout hard and burn lots of calories each and every day because I want to eat more food. And still lose weight. At a slow and reasonable pace of .5 lbs a week.
  • catfive1
    catfive1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    A trainer told me to lose weight I should not eat back the calories.So I have been eating only my alloted calories. BUT my loss has been extremely slow. Which my be my age, 52. :(

So your saying I should eat back my calories? A but scary to do this while trying to lose weight.

I am 5.4 and 140. I want to lose another 2-5 lbs. I am eating 1300 calories, and burning 300-500 a day per Fitbit and about what I was calculating before I got it in Dec. I have lost 18 lbs since Sept.

I basically use the activity calories, as just are reference to encourage me to keep working on burning more.

With only 2 - 5 lbs to lose you should set your goal to lose .5 lbs per week.
  • KimberlyinMN
    KimberlyinMN Posts: 302 Member
    Options

Me too. :)
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    Have you measured your stride length? I have no clue how to do it!
    https://help.fitbit.com/customer/portal/articles/176045-how-do-i-measure-and-adjust-my-stride-length-

How do I measure and adjust my stride length?

Fitbit trackers calculate distance by multiplying your walking steps and walking stride length. Similarly, your running steps are multiplied by your running stride length. By default, stride length is determined using your height and gender. If you feel that your distance measurement isn't being accurately tracked, you may want to adjust your stride length:
    • Go to a track or somewhere that you know the exact distance of.
    • Count your steps as you walk across that distance, making sure you travel at least 20 steps.
    • Divide the total distance (in feet) taken by the number of steps to get your stride length.

Your running stride can be calculated the same way, only by running a known distance rather than walking.

To adjust your stride length on your Dashboard, please do the following:
    • Click on the gear icon in the upper right corner of your Dashboard and select "Settings."
    • You will see a field for Stride Length and Running Stride Length. From here, you can manually enter your personal stride length. If you leave these blank, your profile will estimate these values based on your height and gender.
    • Click the "Update Profile" button to save your changes. Note that a sync will be required to update your tracker with your new stride measurements.
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    I changed mfp to sedentary. Which puts me at like 1250 calories I think. But I don't know whether to eat my exercise calories or not! Ugh! What do you guys do?
    I set my MFP activity level to sedentary, b/c I have a desk job. I got a Fitbit, linked my accounts, and stopped logging step based exercise. (I log non-step exercise in Fitbit.) When I found I average 8,000 steps per day, I changed my activity level to lightly active. Now my exercise adjustments are pretty minimal. I eat them back, and I'm losing.

It will take trial & error to find which settings work best for you.
  • BryBub
    BryBub Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    If you eat 1300 calories a day... but burn off 300-500 calories a day, and don't eat those calories back... Your body is getting 800-1000 net calories a day. Is this what you're doing? If so, it's no wonder your body is trying to hold on to any fat, mass, calories it can, because you're effectively starving yourself!!! Kinda like how your body tends to hold onto water when you don't drink enough, because it can't trust you to replenish it with the water it does need. Your body is telling you something... I'm starving, and I am going to do everything I can to hold on to any weight I can, because you're trying to kill me! A trainer told you this is the way to go? Uggggh, we seriously need some official health/medical regulation in regards to personal trainers, health coaches, and the like... This is super basic stuff. Learned it taking a few health, wellness, and nutrition classes at the local community college. Anyone? Is 800-1000 net calories a day safe? Healthy? Good for you? Make ya feel good? LOL :)